Author Topic: Weekend Plans  (Read 1480 times)

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
Weekend Plans
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 11:34 AM »
I live just south of Indy and am planning on making a trip to the northern part of the state to hit the ice Saturday.  I've never fished up there and am open to any general advice, tips, etc.  I would even take GPS coords if someone were to offer... ;D .   I am certainly no expert at ice fishing but have been a few times.  I was thinking about hitting Webster, Wawasee, possibly other lakes in the area.  Maybe Maxi if nothing produces at the other spots.  Not too picky on the species but was hoping for perch mainly because we don't have too many down here.   Sounds like one issue I could run into is parking, so I'll be sure to not park along the road.  Will I be able to get bait up there?  I have one container of bee moths and some wigglers.  I was planning on getting more bee moths and some minnows but open to other bait ideas.  I don't have a shanty but will bring along a hunting blind to use if needed.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Weekend Plans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Definitely want to bring that shelter. This is going to be an unpleasant weekend to sit out in the open.

I don't know about the entire northern part of the state in general, but bait has been pretty scarce in my neck of the woods. Buying more beforehand if you have it nearby is probably a good plan.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2021, 12:05 PM »
Definitely want to bring that shelter. This is going to be an unpleasant weekend to sit out in the open.

I don't know about the entire northern part of the state in general, but bait has been pretty scarce in my neck of the woods. Buying more beforehand if you have it nearby is probably a good plan.

10-4 on the bait.  I stopped by a bait shop in Indy on Monday and they didn't have any bee moths or spikes but were planning on getting some in today so I might make a trip up there.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Wax worms and even nightcrawlers have basically been unobtanium in my area for months. I've been using artificials most of the winter after I ran out of crawlers back in early January.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Plenty of bait up here and plenty of parking at most public access lots.  If you go to the webster area there are several lakes in the Tri County property to the south of there that have good panfishing, not sure on the perch though.  Wawasee has good perch but getting to them is the problem.  Largest lake in the state and you just about need to travel by sled/atv to get to them.  Not sure if the ice conditions support that yet.  Sylvan and Skinner both have perch.  Both within walking distance of the PA.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2021, 02:55 PM »
Plenty of bait up here and plenty of parking at most public access lots.  If you go to the webster area there are several lakes in the Tri County property to the south of there that have good panfishing, not sure on the perch though.  Wawasee has good perch but getting to them is the problem.  Largest lake in the state and you just about need to travel by sled/atv to get to them.  Not sure if the ice conditions support that yet.  Sylvan and Skinner both have perch.  Both within walking distance of the PA.
Good point on Wawasee.  I always forget how everything on Google Earth tends to look smaller than it is in person.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:07 PM »
With the temps getting cold up here this weekend you will need a shanty.  Bring a shovel and kitty litter.  Snowing pretty good right now where I live and they are calling for more this weekend.  You'll have to find public parking places to park.  From guys l've been talking  too bite has been a little slow.  I'll send you a PM  Good luck if you come.

Offline Oaktree1215

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Look at them cheeks!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:50 PM »
10-4 on the bait.  I stopped by a bait shop in Indy on Monday and they didn't have any bee moths or spikes but were planning on getting some in today so I might make a trip up there.
if you come up 31, you can stop by soremouth tackle in kokomo, they open @7 am. They have minnows waxies bee moths, wigglers etc. And jigs etc.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2021, 04:38 PM »
if you choose to go strait up to angola drop me a PM.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2021, 05:32 PM »
if you choose to go strait up to angola drop me a PM.
Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'll make it that far north.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Just thought I would give an update.  Ended up with a bunch of small gills and one keeper sized bass from Saturday.  Tired the Backwaters, Webster for a little bit, another small lake, and finished the day at Wawasee.  Had a bunch of lookers at Wawasee but no takers.  Tried jigs, jigging raps, and a Swedish pimple with beemoths, minnows, red worms.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2021, 11:12 AM »
WTG

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2021, 02:33 PM »
Can't say you didn't try.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Can't say you didn't try.
Exactly... Since it was my first time up there I didn't have real high hopes.  I'm pretty sure everything I caught came on the one jig that was suggested.

I probably should have stayed on Webster longer but as I was walking out someone on a snow machine came up to the only two other groups I could see on the lake and talked to them for a couple of minutes.  Within 5 minutes both groups left.  That seemed weird to me so I left shortly after. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.