Author Topic: False flags on the polar style.  (Read 6806 times)

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
False flags on the polar style.
« on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I like to use the polar style tip ups, every once in a while,because they are so sensitive.  But seems like I get false flags a lot; due to shiners setting them off.  I know there's different ways to hook the flag, but are there any other ideas to keep these things from popping due to the bait.  I find myself always going back to my heritage lakers.   
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: False flags on the polar style.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:51 AM »
There is a set screw on the shaft. The shorter the amount of shaft that sticks up, the harder it will be for the flag to trip. In other words, you'll be submerging the reel farther. Try having about an inch and a half or so sticking up, and experiment with it. It makes a difference. Good luck.

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:51 AM »
There is a set screw on the shaft. The shorter the amount of shaft that sticks up, the harder it will be for the flag to trip. In other words, you'll be submerging the reel farther. Try having about an inch and a half or so sticking up, and experiment with it. It makes a difference. Good luck.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Are you using the anti wind trip mechanism ..if not actually bending the flag rod some can help

1:09 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:20 PM »
You may have to rewind your tip up to achieve the methods in the diagram .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:25 PM »
I would not bend the flag shaft. Eventually you'll be sorry you did and it'll never be straight again. The In-Fish article above is right on. Additionally if you tilt the spool shaft toward the direction your line comes off it will apply more pressure to make the flag pop. It is infinitely tunable and reversible.

Another version of the In-Fish diagram:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01:19 PM »
There is a set screw on the shaft. The shorter the amount of shaft that sticks up, the harder it will be for the flag to trip.
I always thought this same thing.  But Hardwater's page above has it the other way around.  The higher the spool is, puts more angle on the flag and harder to trip.  HMMMMM  I'll have to try it some day.  I still like the heritage lakers better  ;).    Thanks for the reply's. 

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Use the line guide that spins around the spool, the little metal thing that slides up and down on the shaft, pinch the line inbetween the metal circle part to whatever tension you want
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:32 PM »
I always thought this same thing.  But Hardwater's page above has it the other way around.  The higher the spool is, puts more angle on the flag and harder to trip.  HMMMMM  I'll have to try it some day.  I still like the heritage lakers better  ;).    Thanks for the reply's.
Depends on which side of the vertical shaft you hook the flag on.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2021, 06:05 PM »
only so much you can do without mods.  when use large pike baits i hang a downrigger release off the wire loop.  that keeps big baits from tripping the flag.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2021, 06:13 PM »
This guy covers the adjustment to the polars pretty well, starts at 10:25.  A lot of things I have never thought of...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:02 PM »
You can trim the tail on the shiner so it can't swim as well.  It's kind of a dick move, but you're gonna put hooks in it and feed it to another fish anyways.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:39 PM »
You can trim the tail on the shiner so it can't swim as well.  It's kind of a dick move, but you're gonna put hooks in it and feed it to another fish anyways.

I've done that from time to time. Had one overly active chub that I trimmed 3 times before I cut the whole dang tail off. Still pulled the flag off and the 7th time time the flag popped it was a 39" musky...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:47 PM »
Assuming you are targeting pike or walleye with shiners? Tighten the spool down a bit (the wing nut on top, thread it down farther). Pike dont care how tight it is, but obviously dont go overboard. Just tight enough so your bait doesnt trip it when it struggles. I've used 6" bluegills and 10" chubs on my polars.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:56 AM »
i cant tighten the nut on top of the shaft enough to put drag on my polars.  not even enough threads to do so on the shaft.  i could put a tube over it and make up difference though!  you got me thinking and headed to garage now. lol

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:26 AM »
ok here is what came of the polar garage trip.  and i mean polar.  its like 10* out there. ;D

the thing i found to take up space on the shaft real fast was a extension spring.   1inch long was enough to take up the non threaded space on the shaft.  now i tighten it down it holds!  im not sold on how this will work though.  thas alot of tention for a fish to "run off with"  and we all know that the "run off and stop" with pike is important for hook setting!  im afaid the drag of spool will lead to tooo many drops unless i quick strike them.

anyhow here a pic and details:

i took everything off top of shaft.  the rubber washer the spring the t the nut and rubber cover for tip.  i took a 1" long extension spring and cut off the eyes on ends(see the unaltered one laying under the shaft).  i put on the rubber washer first then the modified spring then a steel washer then the t then the nut and rubber cap.  it now will tighten down all the way tight.  like i said though the drag could be counter productive.

im wondering if there cant be a mod made that releases the shaft tention after the first initial take?  like my down rigger release does.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:31 AM »
the dwn rigger release deal.

OANN the real story

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:55 AM »
I heard some anglers  move the bait keeper clip up the shaft ..along the the rubber grommet ..to increase the tension ..you could also take it apart and add grommets and/or castration ring .

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I heard some anglers  move the bait keeper clip up the shaft ..along the the rubber grommet ..to increase the tension ..you could also take it apart and add grommets and/or castration ring .

do you mean like a band on shaft to put looped line up thru?  that could be worth some testing there!  would hold baited line like my release but with minimal added junk.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:18 AM »
here is what i came up with from that idea.  just some wire and zip tie to hold line like a release.

before set

set with line in it.

[u

notice i slid wire up to hold extra tight.  if you leave wire hang lower it holds less.  with it up it has pretty solid hold to tame large baits!  so far i like what im feeling and still a free line for fish to run off no wiser.  accept the quick strike rig in its lips.  ;D

OANN the real story

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:13 AM »
Almost forgot this. Very simple and effective. All you need is a rubber band of suitable strength. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=266318.0

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:19 AM »
i thought that was to set hook at a certain distance on the run?  i dont think it will hold large sucker from tripping the flag will it?

OANN the real story

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Yep. But no reason you couldn't use a very thin band and hook it so close the minnow can't pull it off but would break more/less easily when a good takes. If they really smack it and bolt they'll never notice. If they just suck it in and move off it might actually drive the hook into the fish enough that it stays pinned long enough for proper hookset. Certainly not guaranteed 100% but I don't thing anything would be much better than an 80% solution on this anyway.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2021, 01:15 PM »
ok i c.  or tuck it under the rubber band thats on spool.

ill play with it but i think i tried that rubber band deal back when it was posted.  i must not have liked it cuz  i stuck with the dwn rigger release.  this wire holder seems to hold with plenty of strength.  i can see where it mite get tangled if a bait swims in circles though.  i dont think that will be a huge problem though.  time will tell.

OANN the real story

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for all of the ideas guys...……         

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:01 PM »
the latest bait holder i came up with.  tested 4 timers and never tripped.  even with a10" bass on it for bait!

just bend some wire.  only takes 5min.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2021, 06:50 AM »
Flagup u still here?

OANN the real story

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2021, 02:31 PM »
When using a rail style tip-up I use a light tension Gator brand downrigger releases hung from behind the wingnut on the pivot bolt. I do not want ANYTHING below my spool that could in any way, shape or form catch my line. That's why Beaverdam's don't even have spool handles. The tip of the release hangs even with the top of the wire line guide. These releases are easy to use with cold or gloved hands due to their full size. This image is of the right release in the wrong package. The package should have said light to match the release.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2021, 04:14 PM »
I used releases like that for years. Wanted to streamline it more. The keeper under the spool worked very well last season. No hangups like u mentioned so far. It could happen though. I made it as low profile as I could for that reason.

I didn't get to try it on trout last year. I'm betting the way it sets the hook it will catch and hold good. Hope to get up there this season for testing.

OANN the real story

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2022, 01:57 PM »
 on a trap , that keeps going off due to an over active minnow, cutting the tail down seems to help a lot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.