Author Topic: Deep Creek Lake Tips  (Read 3026 times)

Offline EsoxZealot

• IceShanty Rookie
Deep Creek Lake Tips
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:16 AM »
Hello All,

Im planning a solo trip to deep creek lake this weekend if weather allows it. Ill probably park at the state park and set up just south of there near the glendale bridge. Ive never fished DCL before and was curious if anyone had any suggestions or tips for walleye and pike fishing there. I was planning on fishing the bottom between 10'-30' with tip ups and a jig rod. Appreciate any help! Good luck out there!

EsoxZealot

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Deep Creek Lake Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:23 AM »
The State Park and around the bridge was open water as of Sunday 1/24.  Wind was keeping it open.  The forecast does not look conducive to trusting that ice yet this weekend.  I'd go farther south on the lake. 

Offline EsoxZealot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. If that does fail and I have to search around for a different spot is there any easy access to some of the locked up portions in the south?

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2021, 08:29 PM »
This season is like last season.... warm... HOWEVER, I'm heading to deep creek in the next two weeks, was thinking about next Wed-Friday, but perhaps the following Wed-Fri... and because it's a 3hr drive from Frederick MD, I'm going to do something I've never done before... rent a hotel room.  This will give me two early AM mornings worth of fishing and perhaps two afternoons of fishing.  My only problem will be bait fish for my tip ups... I've seen there is a place near Swanson for bait... Will certainly call ahead of time to make sure they have some available.  If not I'll have to travel to Baltimore the day before to get my bait... not looking forward to that..... But knowing that the season is going to be short and COVID is preventing me from traveling north to New England (MA + ME)  this is the next best thing..... Wish there are better choices for hotels in WV so I could venture out there for the hard stuff. 

Best of luck to everyone...

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2021, 10:38 PM »
Take a slight detour to Hyndman Pa to POOR BOBS bait shop. Awesome baitshop in a not so great location but he's there till 7pm in the evenings not sure about morning. Give him a call he'd probably work with you

Poor Bob's
1319 Hyndman Rd
Hyndman, PA, 15545

Offline Snipehunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:02 AM »
 As of today(1/29) the south end coves and Cherry cove near the state park have good ice.
 Main lake at the state park is still open water.     Good thing is it keeps the snow machines away.
It's been cold and windy so ice thickness should be increasing.

Offline EsoxZealot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the update! I will try to make it out Sat/Sun this weekend. Will probably end up at cherry cove unless the area around glendale bridge catches a few inches of ice. In the teens tonight with low 20s the next few days. Should produce some good ice until the rain takes it away :'(. Maybe see some of ya'll out there. Good luck

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:58 AM »
After looking at the GIS survey for Garret County/Deep Creek lake there seems to be very little shore access anywhere around Deep Creek.  How does one go about accessing areas/coves with ice without trespassing? A few years back I entered the lake at the state park walked about the ice to the opposite shoreline and walked along the exposed shoreline to an area I felt good about.  I've noticed a few areas to access near streams entering Deep Creek.  Any heads up would be helpful.  I'm looking at renting a place along the lake to help me gain access that way, but that could get costly if I end up coming out from Frederick a few times.  Are there any neighbors on the lake that dont mind if you access the ice from their property?

Offline Old School

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Shore access for ice fishing DCL has been a perennial problem. Best bet is to park along shoreline roads without housing between shore & road. Problems are deep snow, snowing while you're fishing resulting in getting snowed in by the snowplows, and getting towed if you block traffic or snow plows. Consider fishing McHenry Cove for relatively easy access. Extreme cold forecast for early next week means entire lake should be fishable.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2021, 10:33 PM »
Old school,  thanks for the reply.  Parking to avoid driveways is a no brainer.  The snowplow part I didn't really think about.  Never heard of anyone getting towed from parking on the side of a roadway because they blocked a snowplow.  I guess that makes sense unless it's not snowing.  I have a 4x4 truck with a winch, so even if I get plowed in, I'm able to get myself out of just about all/most situations.   Cant wait for the subzero temps....

Offline L84SUPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:36 PM »
I've never fished DCL before. Is it safe to assume good ice there now? I hope to get out there this coming weekend (27-28 Feb). Looking to catch some perch. Is there a good depth to start my search? I plan on jigging small spoons and setting up a couple tip-ups if I'm marking fish. Jigs/spoons better if tipped with a piece of bait? Thanks for any advice.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:35 PM »
There were people spread out everywhere I looked from McHenry along to the Honi Honi bar and with the snowmobiles out today, I’d say it’s most likely fine about everywhere. You rigs sound like they should work but having said that, I fished jigs tipped with powerbait micros, halis with the same, buckshot and demon spoons, and chubby darters and though I could bring fish in, particularly with the darters, could get any eats. Be aware the bait stores out there went under (I’m assuming due to Covid) so you’ll likely have to lug your own.

Offline L84SUPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Thanks Rockfish. I definitely will bring a few dozen minnows, probably medium and large if they're available. I'm looking forward to some tip-up fishing, haven't done much of it in recent years, mostly just jiggin for lakers in NH, 2 lines only in those lakes. Shooting for the Friday-Saturday, 26-27th, hopefully not too much warm weather and rain between now and then. I'll be sure to let you all know how I do. Tight lines!

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Cool. The forecast seems like it’s going to remain mainly cold though weds it may hit 50. Be careful out there and good luck.

Tight lines,
Rock

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:17 PM »
Lots of slush under the snow so keep that in mind if you plan on walking far.  I had my snowmobile dragging stuff out of state park. I did see someone bury their snowmobile in the slush and it took some time to get it out.  The bite is tough. Don’t be afraid to downsize those jigs and keep moving. 

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2021, 11:52 AM »
The fat lady started her final song.  Came out to Deep Creek this afternoon hoping for one last day.  Spent an hour checking the 7 access options that I know of and had no success being able to walk onto ice.  If you want it bad enough I suggest to bring a 2x10 to access the thicker ice just off the shore line.  With temps dropping to to 13f tonight tomorrow might be a better option.  This week will be the very last opportunity.  But I’m guessing that’s it for Deep Creek as next week with be in the 50’s.... overall I had a blast for the past 5weeks traveling from Frederick ever we’d/thurs staying until Friday evening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.