Author Topic: Tip up line guide  (Read 1042 times)

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up line guide
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I noticed my depth marking bobber was as much as 12” from the spool without popping the flag. How do you secure the guide so it doesn’t spin around the spool letting line out and not popping the flag.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: Tip up line guide
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:34 AM »
No mater how good your tip-ups may be you have to remember you are fishing in a very harsh env.  And your tip-ups take a beating.
Every time i set a tip-up I set it up in my hand, pull the line and make sure the flag pops.  If not you need to make adjustments:
Might need to tweek the trigger mech.
Might need to tighten the spool
Maybe water got into the grease tube and froze
Each problem is different isn't just one fix.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:49 AM »
I was thinking there was a way to afix the guide to the shaft. This way it would not spin and the spool would spin. All my tip ups with secure guides work properly. If no quick fix I have some work to keep me busy taking them apart and tweaking. Thanks

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I used tape, glue would work too, or maybe a drop of solder.    It's not rocket surgery, don't overthink it.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:15 AM »
 I have all Polar style tip-ups.... for the ones that I rig up with 1-4" minnows. I have had to put a band of tape on the shaft to "tighten" the line guide on a couple. You can also increase the tension on the spool or "pinch" the line in the "pig tail" of the guide but only on bigger(6+") shiners that I typically run for musky.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Assuming that you are using a Beaver Dam, Polar type tipup. 99% of the time this is nothing more than an active minnow swimming in circles spinning line off the spool. Sometimes this is good with light biting fish as the line comes off the spool even more smoothly. Keeping minnows anchored can be accomplished a number of ways: more weight, trim the tail, rubber band  secure the line guide.

On my Polars I added a piece of rubber tubing in lieu of the goofy "pen clip" that comes stock. It's the black thing right above the spring looking thing. I can slide it down to keep the guide from spinning or slide it up just enough to allow some guide motion. See the upper left pic.

Beaver Dams have nothing to my knowledge and (older ones) are easy to disassemble but not easy to put back together. I'd use just enough silicone/rescue tape right above the guide and if you don't want line spinning off you could slide the guide up just a bit and lock it in place.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2021, 12:56 PM »

... switch to a button instead of a bobber.

I have to agree with using buttons, I have been using buttons for a very long time and they work great. I also have polar tipups and have not really run into that issue. Depending on how you set the trip there are quite a few opinion to set the tension and not have a minnow trip.

JG

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:23 PM »
Thanks for all the great ideas.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:27 PM »
Assuming that you are using a Beaver Dam, Polar type tipup. 99% of the time this is nothing more than an active minnow swimming in circles spinning line off the spool. Sometimes this is good with light biting fish as the line comes off the spool even more smoothly. Keeping minnows anchored can be accomplished a number of ways: more weight, trim the tail, rubber band  secure the line guide.

On my Polars I added a piece of rubber tubing in lieu of the goofy "pen clip" that comes stock. It's the black thing right above the spring looking thing. I can slide it down to keep the guide from spinning or slide it up just enough to allow some guide motion. See the upper left pic.

Beaver Dams have nothing to my knowledge and (older ones) are easy to disassemble but not easy to put back together. I'd use just enough silicone/rescue tape right above the guide and if you don't want line spinning off you could slide the guide up just a bit and lock it in place.

I still love your elastic band mod for picking up those polars. One day I’m going to spend the time the mimic that on mine

Offline cebice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Thanks for all the great info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.