Author Topic: North Sterling curse  (Read 2694 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
North Sterling curse
« on: Jan 10, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Drove out to North sterling yesterday.  Tried the marina area starting at 6:30am.  Didn’t mark any fish then I screwed up my flasher and left at 8:30.  I set the ducer on the ice for a brief moment and it froze.  Something failed when I popped it off and it would no longer read.  Not sure how thick the ice was, probably 4-6”.  I drilled around the mouth of the marina, in a bit, and points on both sides.  Edges are weak due to filling.  You have to find a spot to get on or step over but it wasn’t much of an issue. They have ice eater recirc going around the boat slips so don’t go right up to the edge.  It was thin.  So...if you want to burn $60 in fuel to punish yourself, there ya go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: North Sterling curse
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Bummer for sure about the flasher. Early this year I went up on the Grand Mesa and was able to get to a few lakes I usually can't get to. Stepped out of the car and was checking it out. Then the wind just started blowing probably 40 MPH. Turned around and came home.
<===Lefty===

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:54 PM »
My condolences about your transducer.  Id prob cry.  If it makes ya feel any better both nate and I drove to rifle today and got the f'in skunk.  Dead sea.  240miles rnd trip.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:58 PM »
My condolences about your transducer.  Id prob cry.  If it makes ya feel any better both nate and I drove to rifle today and got the f'in skunk.  Dead sea.  240miles rnd trip.

Man 3 excellent sticks brutalized!  Is it still 2020? ;D

And 4 excellent sticks on the Crack yesterday were totally brutalized also!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:04 PM »

Yea, he sent me a text so we could be sad together I guess.  I did have a cabelas gift card from my generous mother-in-law and cabelas did 2 day shipping for free to get me a new ducer, so that was nice. Next week we’ll seek redemption up north.  When my transducer died, I didn’t even know what to do.  I just wondered around on the lake kicking frozen goose poop until I came to my senses and left.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:09 PM »
Man 3 excellent sticks brutalized!  Is it still 2020? ;D

And 4 excellent sticks on the Crack yesterday were totally brutalized also!

Probably because we didn’t make our sacrificial hike for small perch on thin ice  ???

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Probably because we didn’t make our sacrificial hike for small perch on thin ice  ???

There's always a reason! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Next week we’ll seek redemption up north. 

You'll definitely get your moneys worth on 60 in gas up north more often than alot of local lakes.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:23 PM »
You'll definitely get your moneys worth on 60 in gas up north more often than alot of local lakes.

Agreed.  Time to make it happen.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:31 PM »
East wind, high pressure, almost new moon.  The trifecta of suck.  Not even the fish whislte could over come. 

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:50 PM »
Effing brutal.  Sorry again about the ducer.  Did you pull the trigger on the Garmin?  Mine functioned well today out West.  Although...maybe that’s a reason for the skunk!  Still haven’t figured out how to use my new flasher! 
 ;D ;D ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Effing brutal.  Sorry again about the ducer.  Did you pull the trigger on the Garmin?  Mine functioned well today out West.  Although...maybe that’s a reason for the skunk!  Still haven’t figured out how to use my new flasher! 
 ;D ;D ;D

I did.  Free shipping from Amazon and in stock.  I also ordered the Dakota lithium 10ah.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your day Sean, that sure sucks! 

From the sounds from everyone, looks like I picked a good weekend to stay home  ;)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:17 PM »

From the sounds from everyone, looks like I picked a good weekend to stay home  ;)

It happens.  Good to post some failures to keep it real with the group.  I stayed home today, cooked, and drank a few beers.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:18 PM »

You're welcome to join us tomorrow for another skunkfest! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:51 PM »
You're welcome to join us tomorrow for another skunkfest! ;D
go north so don’t have to get skunk, heading out later

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for the report. Hope the ice holds till next weekend.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I did.  Free shipping from Amazon and in stock.  I also ordered the Dakota lithium 10ah.

What garmin did you order? btw the litium battery is the really deal.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:07 AM »
BTW the mile smelled really bad also.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:05 AM »
What garmin did you order? btw the litium battery is the really deal.

ECHOMAP™ UHD 73cv Ice Fishing Bundle
With GT10HN-IF Transducer

Nate (Bigassbassman) got one first so I’m just playing follow the leader.  I’ve been looking to upgrade for awhile and my earlier attempt with a marcum lx7 did not work out.

I upgraded my lx5 to an iceforce 10AH lithium a long time ago.  I’d never go back to SLA.  Heard good things about Dakota lithium.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Thanks for the report. Hope the ice holds till next weekend.

If you go, I hope you figure it out and tell me, and only me ;D

We fished by the south ramp two years ago and caught one 10” crappie.  Some guys caught small bluegill right off the ramp.  I’ve heard the crappie fishing can be good but it’s feast or famine and the feast is short and isolated.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:10 PM »
ECHOMAP™ UHD 73cv Ice Fishing Bundle
With GT10HN-IF Transducer

Nate (Bigassbassman) got one first so I’m just playing follow the leader.  I’ve been looking to upgrade for awhile and my earlier attempt with a marcum lx7 did not work out.

I upgraded my lx5 to an iceforce 10AH lithium a long time ago.  I’d never go back to SLA.  Heard good things about Dakota lithium.

I’m liking my UHD-73cv so far.  Good resolution with the transducer, and I like the adjustable cone and zoom functions.  And it comes with LAKEVÜ G3 maps, which is awesome. Looking forward to learning to effectively use the maps.

Plus it can be upgraded to panoptix/livescope...when I’m ready to take out a second mortgage on my house.  ;D

It is heavy, so good call on the Dakota lithium.  I might follow you on that choice.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:56 PM »
I got the 63cv this summer and love it, lake vu maps are a big plus.  I did have a vex for many years but this just blows it out of the water.  I would have loved to got the 73 with the option to upgrade the transducer but couldn't justify it for how much I fish.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:06 PM »
All this talk about new electronics got me feelin all crazy, just pulled the trigger on a Marcum recon 5+ underwater camera to compliment my bird55.  Ordered from scheels should be here end of week. Ready to get at em again!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:41 PM »
If you go, I hope you figure it out and tell me, and only me ;D

We fished by the south ramp two years ago and caught one 10” crappie.  Some guys caught small bluegill right off the ramp.  I’ve heard the crappie fishing can be good but it’s feast or famine and the feast is short and isolated.
You'll be the first I message. Even i can't figure that lake out with my friend Paul and that dude knows how to figure east lakes out well. It's a tough one. Is the ice pretty good in the boat ramp cove?

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:51 PM »
You'll be the first I message. Even i can't figure that lake out with my friend Paul and that dude knows how to figure east lakes out well. It's a tough one. Is the ice pretty good in the boat ramp cove?

I didn’t check that area but the whole lake was frozen.  Could be good as long as you can get over the soft edges.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:18 PM »
Quote from: TimK link=topic=38078 ;D6.msg4132598#msg4132598 date=1610395600
All this talk about new electronics got me feelin all crazy, just pulled the trigger on a Marcum recon 5+ underwater camera to compliment my bird55.  Ordered from scheels should be here end of week. Ready to get at em again!

All these fancy electronics don't catch fish for you. Specially if there aint no fish there! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:20 PM »
All these fancy electronics don't catch fish for you. Specially if there aint no fish there! ;D
Truth.  I think I was fishing in the wrong STATE this weekend.  ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:00 PM »

Hey man, Im conducting scientific research ;D.  If I can't catch em at least I can watch em swim by!  I see you slayed them today.........? ;D

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:19 PM »
All I've done with my Live Scope is get rejected in a fancier fashion. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.