The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Anyone Tried the New Cabelas EX Auger?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone Tried the New Cabelas EX Auger?
« on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Decided to switch over to electric this year after 25 years with the old White Lightning. Bought the EZ auger to go with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel hammer drill. Anybody seen these in action? Not much on Youtube or Ice Shanty.
Is it making ice yet?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Anyone Tried the New Cabelas EX Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2021, 01:44 PM »
On YouTube SEARCH cabelas eze ice drill its very similar to the HT E-Drill ...has Mora/Shaver blades with a Ring for break through..I have one but no use as last season was all but a bust for ice in my area..My buddy used one 2804-22 atop a Clam Plate...worked great ..Not a big fan of the side handle on the auger ..rather use the Drills side handle but I love the Clam Plate
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Try the k-drill  you will be pleased

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Teampar has the k drill. ive seen it in action and it cuts really well. esp. when the ice is less than 2ft.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:34 PM »
From a personal standpoint I'm done doing business with Cabelas/BPS. There are other vendors that supply items of equal or better quality for the money and far better customer (non)service.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:39 PM »
I got one and love it. I have used it 3x now and its great. Love the handle on the adapter. It is made by HT, I found out because the blade cover was cracked and when I called to get it replaced the guy told me it was made by HT.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:40 PM »
From a personal standpoint I'm done doing business with Cabelas/BPS. There are other vendors that supply items of equal or better quality for the money and far better customer (non)service.

I still buy stuff from BPS, but I would not recommend their augers. I had one of their hand augers, and it was pretty trash. The holes in the handle weren't fully drilled, so I had to finish them up before I could even put it together. The little bolts that hold the blades on are also SOFT. I bent them the first time I used the auger. Replaced them with some grade 5s from the local hardware store. It didn't cut too badly, but it is definitely worth the extra bucks to just get a name brand unit and skip the headaches.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:51 AM »
I have this Cabelas EX Auger and I have to say I am not crazy about it. I think the plastic blades are too close together which traps a ton of slush and bogs the drill down... I thought it worked great in any ice under 8" but once beyond that it really puts a strain on my drill..... I was looking for a solution, maybe I can remove some of the blades or just return it..... On the other hand my Nils with drill adaptor cuts through like butter....

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:56 AM »
I swapped out my 7.5" K-Drill for the 8" HT E-Drill this season ..so far it very nice cuts fast and no issues on break through .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Ive been using my 8" ht edrill which is about the same as the ezdrill and im glad i got it.no walking or skating and smooth breakthru.a step ahead of  my 8" mora i was using that skated sometimes on glare ice and breakthru was rough.

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:48 AM »
I did end up buying this and I am VERY satisfied. Cuts fast, clean and doesn't drain the battery on the Milwaukee that I use with it. I'm not sure if I will end up buying the plate or not because I love how easy it is to break it down for travel and I like being able to use the drill for ice anchors. It is significantly less expensive than the alternatives, gives you the full size hole and the extra blades are inexpensive. It's not even a full season in but I have yet to see a downside.
Is it making ice yet?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:05 AM »
I did end up buying this and I am VERY satisfied. Cuts fast, clean and doesn't drain the battery on the Milwaukee that I use with it. I'm not sure if I will end up buying the plate or not because I love how easy it is to break it down for travel and I like being able to use the drill for ice anchors. It is significantly less expensive than the alternatives, gives you the full size hole and the extra blades are inexpensive. It's not even a full season in but I have yet to see a downside.

My buddy has been using his HT since the beginning of last season ..100s of holes ..he recently switched out the stock blades with an old set of stainless steel  Mora blades..he reports the Mora are very aggressive and "pulls" the auger down ..so up grading to the stainless steel Mora blades could be a new learning curve for some...game changer .

Offline Fishin_Addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Switch to the 8” Eskimo Pistol Bit. You will not be disappointed.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:53 PM »
I guess everyone has opinions lol because I have the light flight and love it.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.