Author Topic: Wood stove fan for Mr. Heater?  (Read 4733 times)

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
Wood stove fan for Mr. Heater?
« on: Dec 31, 2020, 09:08 AM »
I've been looking through various threads discussing various ways of using USB/computer and other adaptations for using 12-volt fans to circulate warm air from heaters in shanties.  I'm curious if anyone is using a wood stove fan for their Mr. Heater?  It requires no power and runs almost silently...just needs a few mins to start.  I can't claim credit for the idea (found it on Youtube) but I purchased one, tried it on my Mr. Heater in my garage and it works great.  Given the creativeness I've seen on this board, I'm surprised this hasn't found its way into more of the discussion unless I missed it.  Sure, it's a tad pricey at $50, but pretty reasonable compared to some stuff we justify to ourselves. 

My power needs are pretty basic when fishing...just my Garmin unit.  I use a headlamp in my one-man if needed and a small hanging LED in my pop-up.  I was looking for a no-frills way to circulate warm air and this seems to fit the bill, but to be fair I have not tried it on the ice yet.  Am I missing something?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Wood stove fan for Mr. Heater?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Actually sounds like a good idea.  I would love to know if it works.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Great idea.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Saw this video a few weeks ago. He goes into pretty good detail on it.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:06 PM »
For the guys that have used this, does this eliminate/reduce the heat rising to the ceiling and being cold down below?  Currently, I use a large computer fan in the center of my hub ceiling to push air down, but It'd be easier to just use these if it works.  Thanks!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I be danged!!!!!!! :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I've always wanted to get one too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Should work fine.  Have one on each wood stove at camp and they get spinning pretty good..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2020, 09:45 PM »
I have one of those I got for the barrel stove in the tent at deer camp.  I also planned on using it in the ice tent.  The only thing I am not sure about is the blades are very light and fragile.  I am kinda concerned about bending them. Possibly a transport issue. But it worked well when I tested it in the garage.

Currently I use a cheap battery powered fan I hang from the ceiling of the ice tent.  That works awesome and the batteries last a long time on a usb power supply.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2021, 07:40 AM »
It is amazing how they work.  I use one of these on the wood stove at the cabin, two have gone bad in the last 3 years (they were the more expensive ones).  They do the job when they work, but are so fragile it would take some very careful packing around the blades/shaft mechanism to safely haul them back and forth on the ice on a frequent basis. In my opinion a small energy efficient fan would be much easier to transport (would not require a special packing container to keep it safe) and would hold up a lot longer, in a permanent shack where the stove fan was not being jostled around it would be a more viable option.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2021, 07:50 AM »
intresting

Offline Pilatusbahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:12 AM »
I use mine in deer blind and on ice.

I bought the "mini" fan on Amazon. But not sure if have this style. Has wider base but 4" is perfect size.

Save the box, put it back in for travel. Just takes couple minutes to cool and definitely saves the blades from any damage.

Then  box goes into plastic ammo can in the tub of shanty.

Haven't cut slits to slide onto grill but that is soon to come. Otherwise just sits on top panel and rack.

Really works to move air

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Thanks, everyone.  Appreciate the responses.  A small notch in the base with an angle grinder allows it to be easily slid onto the grate and helps hold it securely.  The overall premise is great, and it works great.  But the biggest issue I have found so far is exactly what was mentioned above...the fan blades are fairly fragile.  It's obviously designed for stationary use, not jostling around in a sled.  I've got it wrapped up in a thick stocking hat for now and stuck in my rod bag, since I'm naturally more careful with handling it.  I think for now, the intended use would be my pop-up shanty, when I'm hauling more gear and planning to be more stationary.  For use in my one-man flip, I'm going to stick with my Portable Buddy, the small one with the angled face.  It does alright.  I find as I get older, I get colder easier.  Getting older sucks...

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:58 PM »
This is what I use. Compact & light. 3 speeds & a built in light too. Available on Amazon.

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:21 AM »

Hadn't used it at the time of the photo but it has worked well so far. Still working on the best way to secure the fan better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.