Author Topic: Rigging Tip Ups  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
Rigging Tip Ups
« on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:47 AM »
So I've been ice fishing for a while now and I enjoy the tip up game.  I like to think I am fairly well versed in the use of my rail-type tip ups and I've gotten to know the functions pretty well.  I'm looking to fine tune my set ups.  A few years ago I switched to light (12lb) steel leaders and my thought process was to prevent bite offs as I usually target Pike/Tiger Musky on my tip ups.  However, I noticed my bite frequency dropped dramatically.  So this year I decided to change things up again.  I always use 30lb , noncoated braid for my main line.  I purchased 40lb monofilament leader and plan to tie this directly to my main line using surgeon knots.  I went with the heavier mono for a few reasons. 1 being the mono being less visible than the steel, and 2 being heavier mono to hopefully prevent the bite offs.  I plan on having to use a light sinker to keep the bait down, considering the steel leaders would sink.  Typically I use large to medium shiners or fatheads (depending on what is available).  Any further input on fine tuning this rig would be welcome!  Thanks all!
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Rigging Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:05 AM »
i  use  invisa leaders  by  south  bend  they are  ultra thin  wire   i  use  the  8 inch  with  a  mono leader  to my main  line  .....  i  also  use  the  old  fashion  ....what  we use to  call  english  hooks  where  you use a  large  needle just under the  skin of the  shiner  thread the  shiner on the  hook with built in  steel leader......  they  both work well  for  me  then  again  i  never met a  northern pike  that  earned a  doctorate in leader   identification

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:12 AM »
i like using 20 to 40lb flourocarbon as it is more abrasion resistant and usually a lower diameter than mono.  but other than that seems like you've got it dialed.

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I use 20 pound flourocarbon for my tip up leaders.  I typically use number 6 treble hook, then I use a fast clip with a 3-4 inch length fireline and a number 8 treble hook for my stinger.  I hook larger treble under the dorsal fin of the golden shiner and put the fast clip on the eye of the larger treble hook and then put one of the number 8 hooks in the shiners mouth.  This rig has given me an excellent hook up rate it allows me to set the hook quickly.  I typically have a 4 x 4 block of a closed cell foam in my coat pocket with a bunch of pre-tied stinger hooks should a replacement be needed.  Hope this helps

Offline Sm94427p

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I use about 2 feet of 6 or 10 pound fluoro connected to a size 14 treble. Hooks  when fishing tip ups remember less is more the fish have all the time in the world to inspect the bait

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:09 PM »
don't forget attractor like blades rattles and scent.  they will up tour catch.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:49 PM »
what kinds of scent should i look at? i can only use dead bait here in idaho, so anything to up my chances would be awesome. mostly target bass, but occasionally walleye as well.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2020, 01:26 PM »
My Tip-Up set up is. Tip-Up braided line around the spool, about 100yrds. I tie that to a large snap swivel. I pretie my leaders. 12 to 24 inches long. Power swivel on one end hook on the other. Above the hook I add 3 beads, clevice with a blade and a bead or two above that.
Good luck. Stay safe.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.