Author Topic: Cioppino-because you can only eat so many perch tacos!  (Read 1439 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cioppino is an Italian Fishermans stew- popular in San Francisco

Ingredients:
2 large onions, chopped
2 bunches scallions, chopped
2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C olive oil
4 T butter
1/2 lb. fresh medium mushrooms, quartered
2 C red wine
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 t oregano
1 T chopped fresh basil
3 (or more) dashes Tabasco sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and fresh ground pepper
2 pounds perch filets, cut in large chunks
2 dozen raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/2 pound raw scallops
6 oz crab or mock crab

(really you can add any seafood that appeals to you. Cioppino was made with the leftovers from cleaning the nets, and was a Fishermans dish. Lobster, calamari, and clams are all fine.)

In a large kettle, sauté onions, scallions, green peppers, and garlic in oil and butter for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add mushrooms and sauté 4-5 minutes more. Add wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, herbs, and tabasco. Cover and simmer 1 hour or more.

To heated sauce, add perch, scallops, and shrimp, simmer 3 minutes, until shrimp is pink. Add cooked lobster or crab at the end so it does not fall apart, just enough to warm through.

(If you add clams, add them first, wait 3 minutes and add the rest. Clams should open as the shrimp are turning pink

As soon as crab is heated through, remove bay leaf, taste and season with salt and pepper.

The sauce can be made in advance, and then reheated, and add the fish just before serving.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Re: Cioppino-because you can only eat so many perch tacos!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2020, 09:52 PM »
Mmmm!  I'd eat that... Puts me in mind of Shrimp Creole but with more variety.  I'll bet making the sauce one day and reheating it the next before adding the seafood really ramps up the flavor.

Seems to me lotsa things taste better leftover for the next day.  Red beans and rice and gumbo come to mind...

'Course I don't think my mother ever cooked anything.  Seems I'z raised on leftovers.  That's all we ever had...   ;D

Uncle Shorty
A German Cajun
In the Big Thicket
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.