Author Topic: Almost finished building the Ice shack! Build Log  (Read 5100 times)

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
Almost finished building the Ice shack! Build Log
« on: Dec 21, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Good Day Ice SHanty Forum,

This is my first post cataloging my build progress. any tips/recommendations appreciated.

My first Home Depot Run all the way back in september (Slow rolled this project)

Notching the runners, I figured setting them into the boards would make it way sturdier.

Fit seemed good, in hindsight I should have gone a little slower here and make sure everything was square from the beginning. As it is I end up with a 1/2" offset of the 12' length.

Ignore the mess, working with the room I have available. Board all secured to the runners.

Had to make a run to Minneapolis to get some UHMW plastic for my wear surface. Way more expensive then I realized ($350)

Didn't know the best way to attach the plastic down so I just used exterior screws countersunk into the plastic. I have a feeling these are gonna back out eventually and ill need to jack up the shack and do something different down the road.

Laying the flooring

Framed a couple walls and prepping the underside for paint.

Underside painted with some spray enamel. Time will tell how this holds up. also installed my hole covers. wish I would have added a few more towards the back but wasnt sure how I was gonna layout the inside at this point.

Due to my garage door height and me being a tall individual I moved the sled outside and began framing up the walls.

having never built a roof I decided to take the easy route and rip a slight taper down some 2x6" board and installed metal sheeting. I cheaped out hear and didn't go for painted aluminum. Hopefully this doesn't bite me in the ass down the road.

Got the exterior wrapped just as the snow began coming down. thankful to some help getting it finished. unfortunately it all ripped off in a wind storm that night so that had to be redone the next day.

Roof was sagging between the joist so I added supports.

Next I installed a window, light and started on insulating.

at this point I was all over the place with the mini projects as my motivation was deteriorating.

Not checking my square enough and not being on level ground to check level really hurt as I started to install exterior panels

Nothing a little reflective tape cant fix!

Door installed, I had to rip the bottom to make it fit. this will most likely get replaced before next season.

Battery and Diesel parking heater installed. This thing works great and price was right compared to a vented propane heater.

Insulation almost finished at this point, just need to cut a few custom pieces for around the battery box and electrical port. Great foam is what's holding everything in place.

Just put the second layer of waterproofing down on the floor this morning.

I don't think I'm going to sheet in the walls as the shanty is already pretty heavy at this point. I will probably just run some strips horizontally down the sides to help keep the panels in place if the foam looses adhesion. still need to install a shelf just below the electrical panel for charging phones/cameras. Will also remount the fuel tank so its easier to fill up and level, right now its just installed so I could run the heater for painting.

Hoping to have some pictures on the ice before the new year! I'm pulling it with the rig below, Ill most likely need to install studs in the tracks due to the weight.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Almost finished building the Ice shack! Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Welcome aboard.
any tips/recommendations appreciated.

Use smaller pics, those monsters don't even fit on my laptop screen.  I think 1024 is about as big as you can go and have them fit the page correctly.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2020, 02:32 PM »
I don't know how to change the size of the displayed image. They load properly on mobile but I see what your talking about when I pulled it up on my desktop.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2020, 01:34 AM »
I don't know how to change the size of the displayed image. They load properly on mobile but I see what your talking about when I pulled it up on my desktop.

I've never used imgur so I'm not sure for that site, maybe you cant.  If they fit on mobile it's probably not a big deal anyways.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:25 AM »
I would love to see your pictures, but they are even too much for my 27" monitor.  What are the plans for the ceiling in your shack?

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Right now plan is to leave it unfinished, since I'm not running propane I don't believe condensation will be an issue.

If I'm wrong then the plan is to foam more insulation blocks into the ceiling and finish covering it in 1/4 plywood.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Get your self some 1/8 luwan light weight and will do the trick. What are you using for heat?
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Diesel parking heat, little grey thing attached to the table like platform. Runs on diesel fuel and 12v power. The tank pictured last 36hrs, and hardly used any power once started.

Only bad thing is the blower can get loud when it ramps up. But easily solved with building an appropriate enclosure.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Nice work, any idea how many BTU's the heater is?
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:09 PM »
No idea but it puts out a good amount of heat, tonight will be my first sub zero test of the heater. it's been running it the driveway for the past week so the floor sealant can cure. Also want to make sure it doesn't have any CO leaks in the exhaust plumbing.

Pros it was cheap, and it runs efficiently. Also don't have to worry about moisture build up from a propane heater.

Cons is that it can be loud, hoping to solve this by building an enclosure for it, the exhaust is quiet but the blower noise can get loud when it ramps up.

Offline stagran

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:17 PM »
Got the rod rack and rattle reels installed

Also put up a larger board to mount a fire extinguisher and straighten the fuel oil tank.

Maybe next season if it feels light enough on the lake I'll finish the interior walls and ceiling. For now it's good enough for me. Looking forward to getting out on the lake for the first time new years week.

Offline Ljewett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I recognize that home depot in the first picture! Shack is looking great!

Offline jhoff88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:16 PM »
What is the width of the house?  I didn’t see, but possibly missed it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.