Author Topic: Good day on Gull  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Shellac1

• IceShanty Rookie
Good day on Gull
« on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:32 PM »
The last 4 or 5  years on Gull in December have been pretty bad for me. Most often not seeing anything. It used to be good for a few fish. Went a bit late yesterday and saw 4 whites --no interest in my offerings. Today was a different story as I arrived about 830. Really good activity till 10am and a sharp dropoff in sightings. Tried a few different W/W's and fluttering lures. The lures worked great to bring them in. Finally caught a typical Gull Lake white. Very happy. Switched to a Len Thompson red/yellow 5 of diamonds. Right away I hooked up to a pretty big one. Got his nose out of the hole and the hook came out. I reached down the hole to bring him up but managed to push him down. Since the ice is only about 12in he backed down and left. Damn. Would like to post the pic but dont know how. Its on my phone.  Shellac

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Good day on Gull
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:38 PM »
Nice!  Sounds like a decent enough day.  Congrats.

Offline Ice in my drink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2020, 10:23 PM »
The weather will be awesome this weekend. Go out and get that bad boy. Thinking I’ll try my luck on Sylvan. Have a craving for smoked whites.

Offline nocatchmcgee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Hit sylvan yesterday with only a few fish seen all day....they were not intrested in anything I tossed at them   

Offline Shellac1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I went back to Gull on Sunday morning, a bit earlier than previous trips. Had trouble finding my holes as a bit of drifting occurred. Drilled a couple of new holes and settled in. Half hour later only a pike and a whitefish which whistled through. Decided to find my old holes which I did. I was about 100yds off. Fluttering lures did not work at all. Wire worms were the ticket. Had several come around with a couple taking runs at my florescent orange w/w. Finally caught one and u guessed it, lost it once his nose cleared the water. Caught another on a florescent green hook. Broke my line as it circled under the hole. No more florescent hooks. Came home, bought new line and made more florescent wire worms. Hopefully back tomorrow morning. Shellac

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2020, 12:16 PM »
If you don't have two wet arms to show for those lost whities you just weren't trying.  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.