Author Topic: base layers  (Read 1445 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
base layers
« on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:47 AM »
I have tried to search in the 'dressing for ice fishing' forum but not having much luck on past threads. I have about 10 various brands and kinds of base layers but this year looking to spend some money on the best out there. I have read countless articles on material and how much better merino wool is, etc. That said, is merino really that much better than say a $90 pair of under armour ones that are most likely polyester blend? Just curious what you think are the best out there. Thanks!

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: base layers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I have tried most of them and frankly its a toss up between the UA cold gear lvl 2 tops n bottoms and then I also like my Columbia Omni Heat ones as well. I have several wool ones and they work too and are warm. I have a pair of silky tops n bottoms that are surprisingly warm. I vary with what is clean and how cold and how far I have to pull sled.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Tried it all. Went to Merino  two years ago. Love the Scheels heavy weight Merio long underwear. REI also has a decent selection of Merino clothing but is way more expensive than Scheels.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Tried it all. Went to Merino  two years ago. Love the Scheels heavy weight Merio long underwear. REI also has a decent selection of Merino clothing but is way more expensive than Scheels.

I like merino as well. I fish in sub-zero temps and it just does a better job of keeping me warm when I am sitting and breathing when I am working/trudging stuff uphill or across the ice.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Sitka's light base merino layer has been PLENTY for me here in Colorado.  I was so warm that I completely abandoned the idea of getting their heavier base layers.  I've use the light weight for ice fishing and hunting, and have never been cold.  Best stuff ever.  Used to think that high priced stuff was a gimmick till my buddy had me try one of his jackets.  I'll never go back.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Have a lot of Terramar brand in various weight which I love for most days in my area.. I recently got a Smartwool 1/4 zip for frigid  days. Wool is a great choice and will last for years .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Actively a polyester microfiber material is far superior.  Passively Merino wool is wonderful and natural.

When UA first started that was the cheapest junk for the most price one could pay for.  They do a really great job at marketing.  Nike or Adidas were far better in performance.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:27 AM »
You should think about what "best" means for you. I would have to say that base layers are not your primary insulation, so managing sweat is probably near top of the list. I can't tell too much difference between synthetics and wool, so I would go with what is comfortable. If you are sitting mostly, and are looking for thick ones, there are polar fleece grid ones that are the thickest I have seen- Mine are REI, but  there are others. For thin ones, hard to beat the price/performance of 32 degrees- they are on line or at Costco in season. The warmest I ever had were an old Cabelas union suit in thick fleece, but it had convenience issues.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Anything with the Browning Buck is the best!  Even if it's blasphemy  ;D

Offline BattleBorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2020, 01:05 PM »
One thing to think about, merino tends to not stink. I can wear merino wool hunting for a couple days and be fine, but an Under Armor type material really starts to stink even after one day. if you're going on multiple day trips Merino would be nice so you don't have to bring so much clothing. I use the Kuiu merino base layer, and the side zip to remove the base without taking off your boots is such a great feature.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Actively a polyester microfiber material is far superior.  Passively Merino wool is wonderful and natural.

When UA first started that was the cheapest junk for the most price one could pay for.  They do a really great job at marketing.  Nike or Adidas were far better in performance.
x100
Merino is great and I wear it all the time simply for the no stink factor.  But grid fleece will be warmer for the weight, breath better, and dry infinitely faster.  The fleece will also be more durable.

Some high performing fleece options are Patagonia Capilene/R1 and military level 2 waffle tops and bottoms.  There's a lot of other brands that use similar Polartec Power Dry/Power Grid materials.

Do some research outside of the hunting/fishing sectors.  They are notoriously behind the game in clothing technology and rely heavily on marketing and advertising.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:57 PM »
I wear light weight insulated pants under my bibs, as for tops I have only used UA and its worked good, I would like to try merino wool long sleeve.

I also use a Mountain Hardware monkey man fleece, which is one of the warmest things I have ever worn.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:08 PM »
The best base layer is silk.  It took me a while to get on board but they are amazing.  Pretty expensive, not very durable, and yet I won't go back. 
I've been buying from Lands End - and there's a sale on right now hmmmmm!!!!

My layering is:
top: silk, 180 Merino, 300 Merino sweater, Fleece sweater, down vest as required.  I don't wear my coat unless it's below -20C or I'm on the snowmachine.
bottom: silk, 180 Merino, wool pants as required, insulated bibs.

Silk is:
- as good at wicking as polypropylene and other modern fibres
- quite comparable to wool in warmth per unit weight, but it's very thin so it's part of a system
- doesn't smell at all compared to wool and especially compared to polypro.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:13 PM »
Sierra Trading Post has a lot of base layers at a good discount! I buy most of my winter layering stuff there.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:58 AM »
Sierra Trading Post has a lot of base layers at a good discount! I buy most of my winter layering stuff there.

Can you expand a bit on what your choices are from their products? Wife is already asking about Christmas and I'm thinking base layers of some sort is what I'll be investigating. Been looking at the merino wool and other stuff that has been mentioned above.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:47 AM »
polartec ecwcs - cabelas used to have them in polar/expedition heavy weight
if you want to get crazy good....alpaca is much better than merino - you can get the same insulation in half the thickness. It makes a great mid layer as well

Catchin' Fish

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Can you expand a bit on what your choices are from their products? Wife is already asking about Christmas and I'm thinking base layers of some sort is what I'll be investigating. Been looking at the merino wool and other stuff that has been mentioned above.

I have all Under Armour type stuff, but will be getting some wool this year.

Good choices IMO:

https://www.sierra.com/under-armour-tac-base-layer-top-long-sleeve-for-men~p~10nuv/

https://www.sierra.com/under-armour-base-20-base-layer-leggings-for-men~p~18jtv/

https://www.sierra.com/kenyon-dark-navy-polartec-power-grid-base-layer-pants-for-men~p~746aj/

https://www.sierra.com/smartwool-merino-150-base-layer-top-merino-wool-long-sleeve-for-men~p~14wyw/

https://www.sierra.com/smartwool-merino-150-base-layer-pants-merino-wool-for-men~p~14xfk/

https://www.sierra.com/terramar-merino-woolskins-base-layer-pants-for-men~p~931hw/

Just do a search for "base layer" and filter by your size. :)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Silk,top and botton,wool pants, fleece if its teens,top is wool sweater with light quilted nylon hooded sweat shirt..hard water bibs  and jacket only if its windy or single numbers
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2020, 10:48 PM »
Since there was a little mention on anti stink...If there are clothing that say has silver element in the lining it helps a lot with anti microbial factor.  Silver is a natural element to prevent that.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2020, 05:46 AM »
Natural fiber minus 33s are excellent little expensive but comfort is worth it,  or hot chillys are nice synthetic not quite as warm but great wicking capabilities and comfy

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Anybody still buy compression style? I hated it because it reminded me all day how fat i ha become ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Anybody still buy compression style? I hated it because it reminded me all day how fat i ha become ;D

I've lost weight so my compressions are kind of lose now.  I do remember that they use to be way hard to take off.  ;D

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2020, 05:57 PM »
I do alot of hunting, so I have multiple merino base layers. I have a lot of BlackOvis and recently I purchased their Keele Heavyweight, little different then your typical merino, it has a terry loop weave in the inside, I am a big fan, its worth a look for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.