Author Topic: New to Jigging - lining reel  (Read 2620 times)

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Jigging - lining reel
« on: Nov 04, 2020, 02:10 AM »
Hey all -

Going to give jigging a shot this year (usually fish 5 tip ups). It is a medium Jason Mitchell combo and it will be used as a catch all this season.  Can you guys let me know:
     1 - should I back the reel with braid?  If so, any favorites or at least a general consensus on type/strength?
     2 - since it will be my universal rod, does  using 3 ft of fluoro after a swivel so that could be changed for species make sense?

Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New to Jigging - lining reel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Should add your location ..county and state to your location .

As for backing ..I just spool up with the main line unless the spool has a lot of line capacity .

I use mono as I can fish outside in all conditions as well as a shelter ..braid can soak up some water and freeze become stiff in cold temperatures.

Use the lowest pound test line you can get away with is the way to go ..if your fishing for pan fish having to heavy a line will make the lure (small) act unnatural ..3lbs test is a good start for panfish . Adding a good ball bearing swivel and fluorocarbon leader is a great added touch.

What will you be fishing for ?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Thanks for the response. I fish in Maine and will primarily be jigging for lake trout and brook trout.

There may be the occasion to set up for pike too.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Should add your location ..county and state to your location .

As for backing ..I just spool up with the main line unless the spool has a lot of line capacity .

I use mono as I can fish outside in all conditions as well as a shelter ..braid can soak up some water and freeze become stiff in cold temperatures.

Use the lowest pound test line you can get away with is the way to go ..if your fishing for pan fish having to heavy a line will make the lure (small) act unnatural ..3lbs test is a good start for panfish . Adding a good ball bearing swivel and fluorocarbon leader is a great added touch.

What will you be fishing for ?

What is the benefit of mono over fluoro when fishing outside?
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2020, 08:12 AM »
What is the benefit of mono over fluoro when fishing outside?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:15 AM »

Thanks, I'll check those out tonight. As nice as videos are to watch, 95% of my time on iceshanty is at work and I can't watch videos at work lol.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Thanks, I'll check those out tonight. As nice as videos are to watch, 95% of my time on iceshanty is at work and I can't watch videos at work lol.

This is the video I meant to post

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2020, 02:22 AM »
For the most part a good copolymer mono line is a great choice to work with, especially if it is a fluorocarbon coated line type.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Thanks for the response. I fish in Maine and will primarily be jigging for lake trout and brook trout.

There may be the occasion to set up for pike too.

Im in upstate NY and one of my favorite species to target is lake trout. My go to setup is 8# or #10 Suffix 832 ice braid with a 8# pline ice fluroice leader. I do use a swivel between main line and leader to help reduce some line twist.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Im in upstate NY and one of my favorite species to target is lake trout. My go to setup is 8# or #10 Suffix 832 ice braid with a 8# pline ice fluroice leader. I do use a swivel between main line and leader to help reduce some line twist.

X2.  Used to use Copoly but have been running this same setup for last few years.  Works great.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Thanks all!

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2020, 07:30 PM »
X2.  Used to use Copoly but have been running this same setup for last few years.  Works great.

Any rod/reel combo suggestions?  I’d prefer to stay $40-75.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2020, 07:31 PM »

Awesome, thanks!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2020, 08:46 PM »

If you're chasing Lakers on that price point might want to check out an HT Blue Ice or Ugly Stick Dock Runner for the rod.  Pair either one with a Shimano Sienna Reel and you should have a serviceable setup.  If you have to buy the Ugly Stick Combo definitely swap the reel out.  Sienna is a good value.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:45 AM »

id say reel is more important than the rod is so price breakdown wise id go reel ($40-50) and rod ($20-30). Id try and head to your local bait shop to see how they feel in your hands first but the ugly sticks arent bad for the price point. Im a fan on my Fenwick rods and you can get some of their lower ends styles for less than $30. My personal preference for rod length is 36-40". if you're fishing in a shelter or flip over often, just be conscious of it. I know i have to set myself up slightly different in my pop up if im targeting lakers vs targeting pannies due to rod length, and wanting to maintain a lot of height for a good hook set. 

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the continued help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.