Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New Eyeconic UL panfish rod  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Eyeconic UL panfish rod
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:15 PM »
https://www.eyeconicfishing.com/product/john-grosvenor-panfish-series/

Going to go to Scheels in the next day or so and check them out. I am not affiliated with the  company.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Eyeconic UL panfish rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:57 PM »
were you able to get over and check out the rod?  if so how did it feel and load up in your hands?  just curious. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Are you looking for an opinion or just making a statement on what you are going to buy? (not being a smart ass) . Personally...I'll spend no more than $30 on an ice fishing rod. I like my Dave Genz Panfish Popper rod/reel combo. I just change out the strike indicator and use an Ice Strong titanium.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Solid or tubular blank?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2020, 03:54 PM »
I went to the Ice Kickoff at Clear Lake Bait and Tackle and talked to Scott from Eyeconic. He had several demo rods rigged up with different jigs. After looking at several different rods at different price points I decided to purchase one. When I got home I attached a reel and hung 3mm, 4mm and 5mm tungsten jigs. It loaded all three. I have no idea whether it's tubular or solid. Eyeconic could answer that question. It might even be in the description on their website.

I am happy with my purchase and looking forward to using it this season. I could care less what others may think about what I paid. To each their own.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:05 PM »
They sure do feel good! We dont have ice yet so I haven't gotten to try them out. I've caught a few fish in open water and the bait tank with them and they are going to be a hit this year no doubt. Softer tip than the Mag lite and still the uniform taper to backbone instead of the sharp transition that pulls hooks on crappies. Same style of grip as the 27" pro series, which was a hit last year for sure.

Going to be a killer bluegill and 3mm tungsten rod.

As for the price, you are paying for a quality rod with an engineered blank. Not just someone's mudhole blank they painted up fancy and put expensive guides and a reel seat on. You wont understand what this means until you fish with one, they are not like any other rod I have used. I have beat them to hell and back and have not had one break yet, including open water catfishing with them trying for a 25lb+ flathead (they cast 4oz sinkers if you were wondering).. but if one does break, youll get a replacement without having to wait 2 weeks.

If anyone has questions you can PM me. I don't own the company and I dont build them, but I can answer almost any question... or we can just talk about them. I dont check in here as much as I should (hence missing this post)

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:00 AM »
$85 for a Fiberglass panfish Rod?...........looks nice and looks well built.

While I'm not one to talk since I've spend plenty of money on rods, $85 for a fiberglass blank Rod is about $70 more then I would spend.

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Now that there's been some time to use these, Anyone have more feedback?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:06 AM »

Yes, I have been using mine extensively and really like this rod!

I am using a Shimano Sienna 500, with 3# Orange Suffix. Using primarily 2mm - 4mm tungsten jigs. I have also used some small CJ&S Slender Spoons and 1/16th oz Clam Pinhead Minnow. What impresses me is not only very sensitive but tip flex is such to also detect up bites. I target primarily Bluegill and Crappie. Last week I hooked and landed a 3 1/2# + Largemouth and the rod had no problem handling it.

Prior to purchasing the rod I was primarily a spring bobber guy. And still carry a couple of rods with Schooley reels and Ice Strong Spring Bobbers. I have even given some thought to buying another one and putting a Schooley reel on it for shallow water finessing.

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:05 PM »
I picked up a Beaver Dam Custom Glass Noodle from Fleet Farm a while ago and so far I've been very pleased. Good sensitivity and while not quite as much as my TUCR Precision Noodle, it is close enough that for $15, I'm happy though I wish the handle was a bit longer in the back. Really like the TUCR split handle but hey, both catch fish!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:55 PM »

Its a good rod, I like it. Any specific info you are looking for? I mean its a glass rod and does its job, you can see fish (even little bluegills) hit. It is a little whippy in the tip though, I learned that just a lift of a hookset is best, cant snap the wrist and set the hook hard like with the carbon series (mag lite)

The split grip isnt really a deciding factor for me, but it sure does look good. I hold everything in pistol grip, and with the reel all the way to the rear of the grip I can rest the top of my hand on the split grip blank part but it doesnt really help too much with a glass rod. It helps a ton with the 27" mag lite carbon.

The bend on this rod is about perfect, its a smooth transition to backbone and not a sharp bend like some of the other glass rods. The bend is really helpful to not pull hooks when the bluegills dig at the bottom of the ice, and makes fighting bigger crappies and bass a lot easier. This is really important on a short rod!

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.