Author Topic: Aqua-Vu Question  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aqua-Vu Question
« on: Apr 02, 2020, 04:39 PM »
I'm thinking of buying one next year.  I've always wondered something about them.  Does the wire that holds the camera down in the water get in the way with the lure and your fishing line when you catch a fish?  I suppose it wouldn't matter much in shallower water because you can probably hang the camera just below the ice.  But if you are fishing for lake trout, burbot, and whitefish in 30-40 ft or more, I would assume the camera wire would get tangled up with your line when you hooked a fish.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Aqua-Vu Question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Unless you are in ultra-clear water with a lot of light penetration you will always be close to the hole that you are fishing from. My aqua-vu is usually in its own hole and it is normally not much more than 5-6 feet away from the hole I am fishing out of and that is in 15-20 feet of water. The deeper you go the less light you will have and the harder to see distance. That said 30-40 or fifty feet could get your line and camera line tangled.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2020, 08:16 AM »
The deepest that I have found a camera effective is about 50 feet - and I fish in clear water. They can go another 10-20 feet deeper if there is no show on clear ice. The snow cover blocks light. The deepest that I have gone is 60 feet fishing next to a section of the lake that had been plowed of snow on a sunny day.

The on-board lights on the camera are useless for me. They illuminate and attract plankton and not worth using. A camera is GREAT FUN when you can see and not fun when you can't.

I spend time looking for humps and spots for Lake trout that are 30 feet deep and less and when I find them, they are great!.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Unless you are in ultra-clear water with a lot of light penetration you will always be close to the hole that you are fishing from. My aqua-vu is usually in its own hole and it is normally not much more than 5-6 feet away from the hole I am fishing out of and that is in 15-20 feet of water. The deeper you go the less light you will have and the harder to see distance. That said 30-40 or fifty feet could get your line and camera line tangled.

Fry Flier, thanks for your input.  I fish anywhere from 5-40 feet of water.  But when I am targeting lakers specifically, I typically fish 20-40 ft.  Yes the lake I fish on is crystal clear.  And yes I know other people use the Aqua-vus at those depths but I wondered if the line would get tangled.   

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:55 AM »
The deepest that I have found a camera effective is about 50 feet - and I fish in clear water. They can go another 10-20 feet deeper if there is no show on clear ice. The snow cover blocks light. The deepest that I have gone is 60 feet fishing next to a section of the lake that had been plowed of snow on a sunny day.

The on-board lights on the camera are useless for me. They illuminate and attract plankton and not worth using. A camera is GREAT FUN when you can see and not fun when you can't.

I spend time looking for humps and spots for Lake trout that are 30 feet deep and less and when I find them, they are great!.

Gunflint, good insight.  But does your line get tangled at those depths and what do you do to avoid it?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Gunflint, good insight.  But does your line get tangled at those depths and what do you do to avoid it?

I never put my camera hole closer than 6 feet to my fishing hole. Usually it is 9-12 feet away from my fishing hole. which gives a wider field of view. If I am fishing with a friend, we typically fish 6 feet apart and can both see our jigs in that arrangement.

All of that said - in that configuration, I have never once had my line tangle with the camera and only once with a friend's jig.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2020, 11:48 AM »
Also angling the camera down 45 deg will help/be more efficient ..better field of view .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Yes our lakers will tangle in the cable no matter how far you put it away.  I use mine for scouting and keep it out of the water when I’m fishing. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Yes our lakers will tangle in the cable no matter how far you put it away.  I use mine for scouting and keep it out of the water when I’m fishing.

I didn't know you had an Aqua-vu dude.  I shoulda just asked you.  How do those guys in Canada do it?  Like the guy from uncut angling.  He's always using his Aqua-vu in 30-40 feet of water and he never seems to have an issue.  Maybe he's got some crazy expensive equipment that the rest of us can't afford.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:07 AM »
I never put my camera hole closer than 6 feet to my fishing hole. Usually it is 9-12 feet away from my fishing hole. which gives a wider field of view. If I am fishing with a friend, we typically fish 6 feet apart and can both see our jigs in that arrangement.

All of that said - in that configuration, I have never once had my line tangle with the camera and only once with a friend's jig.
you must have great eyes. Damn, if I had an aqua vue, I'd have to have it no more than 4 foot away to see it! I hope you mean to run the cable from the  hole that is 12 feet away to where you are sitting. just thought of that. DUH!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2020, 08:21 AM »
you must have great eyes. Damn, if I had an aqua vue, I'd have to have it no more than 4 foot away to see it! I hope you mean to run the cable from the  hole that is 12 feet away to where you are sitting. just thought of that. DUH!

Yes, the camera hole is 12 feet away from the fishing holes. Camera is at same depth as where we fish and the display if 3 feet in front of us between our 2 fishing holes.  Never even close to a tangle. Here is a video of the 2 jigs 6 feet apart in this arrangement.  This is with ice 3 feet thick and heavy snow at about 30 feet depth on sunny day - plenty of light to see what is happening.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Yes, the camera hole is 12 feet away from the fishing holes. Camera is at same depth as where we fish and the display if 3 feet in front of us between our 2 fishing holes.  Never even close to a tangle. Here is a video of the 2 jigs 6 feet apart in this arrangement.  This is with ice 3 feet thick and heavy snow at about 30 feet depth on sunny day - plenty of light to see what is happening.

Great video Gunflint!  Thanks for sharing.  What kind of Aqua-vu do you own?  It has great visibility in 30 feet of water with 3 feet of ice and snow cover.  That's exactly what I need.  I didn't see any tangles on your video but most of the lakers looked they were fairly small-sized (20-inches and 5 lbs. or less) to me.  I wonder what would happen to your camera if you caught a 10-20 pounder.  Thanks again for sharing.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Like I said our fish are big and powerful and risking an expensive camera is not worth it.  I have had my camera get tangled with Lakers before I new better, luckily they were just small fish less than ten pounds.  Keeping the camera higher in the water column would help but the issue is when the fish gets close to the hole and makes a big run and starts making the big circle under the ice.  Trust me Jack it’s not worth it. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Setting up the camera takes some time and practice  you need to be on the right lake, then hope for the right lighting conditions. In shallow water, they can be fun when you’re with a friend that doesn’t get the whole jigging thing or doesn’t have sonar themselves.
I haven’t used my aqua-vu since getting a panoptix. I still get to see the fish swim around instead of just up and down on sonar.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I use an Aqua Vu camera on Lake Louise all winter. We've never had an issue with tangles, but I use mine on a bird's eye view generally so we can see a much larger area. I have also wondered about fish getting spooked by the camera. We fish in about 25-30' of water and I drop the camera down one of the holes maybe 10' deep. I have a flasher as well, and its cone is nowhere near as large as the camera.

2 years ago me and the wife were fishing and the biggest burbot I have ever seen in my life had my entire camera in his mouth (shaped like a sun fish) and was pulling at it. This camera is not small, and the entire thing was in its mouth. We tried bringing the lures and bait up to but it wasn't interested, it went after the camera 2-3 times.  It ended up letting go, but it was quite the experience. Every burbot I have caught and kept since then I have tried putting that camera in its mouth, and so far none have fit (the biggest I have tried is around 33-34").

I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Like I said our fish are big and powerful and risking an expensive camera is not worth it.  I have had my camera get tangled with Lakers before I new better, luckily they were just small fish less than ten pounds.  Keeping the camera higher in the water column would help but the issue is when the fish gets close to the hole and makes a big run and starts making the big circle under the ice.  Trust me Jack it’s not worth it.

Roger that bro, thanks for the tips.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:24 PM »
I use an Aqua Vu camera on Lake Louise all winter. We've never had an issue with tangles, but I use mine on a bird's eye view generally so we can see a much larger area. I have also wondered about fish getting spooked by the camera. We fish in about 25-30' of water and I drop the camera down one of the holes maybe 10' deep. I have a flasher as well, and its cone is nowhere near as large as the camera.

2 years ago me and the wife were fishing and the biggest burbot I have ever seen in my life had my entire camera in his mouth (shaped like a sun fish) and was pulling at it. This camera is not small, and the entire thing was in its mouth. We tried bringing the lures and bait up to but it wasn't interested, it went after the camera 2-3 times.  It ended up letting go, but it was quite the experience. Every burbot I have caught and kept since then I have tried putting that camera in its mouth, and so far none have fit (the biggest I have tried is around 33-34").

J2theD, how far away is your hole for your aqua-vu camera from your holes that you are fishing?  I know you said 10 feet down in 25-30 feet of water.  Thanks for that information that is helpful.  Also, what's the biggest fish you've brought in without getting your fishing line tangled with your camera?  According to AKhardwater, the camera is fine for small fish, but the bigger fish will tangle with the camera and break it.  Thanks for your input.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:47 PM »
J2theD, how far away is your hole for your aqua-vu camera from your holes that you are fishing?  I know you said 10 feet down in 25-30 feet of water.  Thanks for that information that is helpful.  Also, what's the biggest fish you've brought in without getting your fishing line tangled with your camera?  According to AKhardwater, the camera is fine for small fish, but the bigger fish will tangle with the camera and break it.  Thanks for your input.

I had a 20+ pounded on the line this year (I saw it on my camera and it was like the movie Jaws). It almost spooled me before I lost it but it did not get tangled.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:20 PM »

I drop my camera down one of the holes I am fishing. We have brought in many lakers over 30" with no issues.

When someone hooks a fish, we immediately reel other lines up and bring the camera up. Since it is only 10' or so below the hole, its not really at risk of getting tangled as much as if it were at the same depth I was fishing.

We really like the bird's eye view because you can see all angles of approach and all lures, and I don't have to worry about it spooking the fish (whether or not that is actually an issue I have no idea).
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Well 15lb tiger muskie didn't break my camera, did suprise me when it bit. If your line  wraps up your more likely to lose a lure then break the camera
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.