Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 24875 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #120 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Few places you could easily avoid this wind direction but I was really making a joke. But my otter cottage could handle this wind no problem
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #121 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:04 PM »
Few places you could easily avoid this wind direction but I was really making a joke. But my otter cottage could handle this wind no problem

It's not so much the wind, but add the heavy wet snow to it.....yeah you know.

I stayed home and build a flat line Rod.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Any recent reports on west okoboji????

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:04 PM »
What is the depth of water you guys have been finding weeds? Wanting to know how much line to put on my tip-ups.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #124 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:17 PM »
What is the depth of water you guys have been finding weeds? Wanting to know how much line to put on my tip-ups.

What lake are you talking about? It's clear water......there are weeds in 20ft of water and deeper.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:47 PM »
That’s all I needed to know. Thanks agronomist_at_IA!!!!

Offline JacksFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:01 PM »
To piggyback off this a bit, do you guys go searching out for green weeds on West O?  Or do you just find a weed pocket or weed line near the dead/fallen over weeds?  I'm new to ice fishing as of last year, but I have not been able to find weeds that are "green/alive" as the experts would suggest.  Fish still seem to be around the fallen weeds and the village of shacks seem to setup on dead weeds frequently from my very limited experience. 

Also, do you guys fish the weeds this time of year or do you push out to the 20-25' basins in Emerson, Smiths, Millers and Triboji?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Feb 04, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Do not trust the village. I almost always fish weeds. There are many areas with shallow weeds on West. Keep trying them until you find fish.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline JacksFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 04, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Do not trust the village. I almost always fish weeds. There are many areas with shallow weeds on West. Keep trying them until you find fish.

Are the weeds you're fishing green or fallen over/dying most of the time?  Are you drilling holes until you mark some or do you fish a hole for a couple of minutes and then move if fish don't show up right away?  I realize these are early/mid/late ice-dependent.  It really comes down to my lack of time on the water to know the West O fish movements.  I can't decide if I should start in 5-10' and drill out to deeper until I hit the weedline or if I should just skip right to the 20' basin once February hits.

I do appreciate the weeds all almost always guidance info!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #129 on: Feb 04, 2021, 03:22 PM »
From my experience. If you are fishing for gills with a few mixed in crappie the weeds and areas your talking about are fine. Fish can be shallow to deep. This late you can see fish move more to a basin bite. You will also see 20ft of water can hold nice gills with crappie suspended & you will find some perch with a possible pike or walleye.

If you are looking for a hot bite where they slam it and you pull one after the other in .....then don’t go to the lakes. 90%+ of the fishing is going to be small tungsten jigs with clear lite line and a finicky bite. Make sure u have a SMALL jig and a noodle tip. Few  are the days fish just slam the jigs. Persistence and patience is what delivers a bucket of fish.

West O is an entirely different lake when it comes to fishing vs east or spirit. Spirit it’s basin fishing in 20ft this time of year.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:21 PM »
I rarely see green weeds under the ice. Almost never.

Offline Nacaboose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 05, 2021, 07:21 PM »
I appreciate the advice guys. 

Learning what the fish like and how they interact is the  reason I love fishing West.  Just love (but sometimes hate ;D) that clear water.  I’m less concerned about a bucketful (although nice).  I just want to find em faster and avoid setting up dead water less often. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #132 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:51 PM »
I appreciate the advice guys. 

Learning what the fish like and how they interact is the  reason I love fishing West.  Just love (but sometimes hate ;D) that clear water.  I’m less concerned about a bucketful (although nice).  I just want to find em faster and avoid setting up dead water less often.

When u setup if you don’t see fish every 15min or less....move

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.