Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 24867 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #90 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:10 PM »
Kabeles store doesnt bug me as much as their Facebook behavior. It's their life, they can do what they want but it's my money. I have to laugh when they post pictures of 9" perch. Embarrassing.

I haven't caught jack squat on the north end in years. Not sure I'd be willing to try it unless someone else was driving.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #91 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:11 PM »
Can’t you get a new set of mora blades for that?

Not that I could find....I’ve look even for a cheap HT set at Walmart....no luck.

Blades in scheels and stores I’ve seen $30 for the eskimo and $35 for mora

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:16 PM »
Kabeles store doesnt bug me as much as their Facebook behavior. It's their life, they can do what they want but it's my money. I have to laugh when they post pictures of 9" perch. Embarrassing.

Lol when I caught the 12in perch the other day I thought damn kabele’s be posting this like it’s winning the lotto

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:21 PM »
A 12" perch is a heck of a perch for the lakes.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:13 PM »
A 12" perch is a heck of a perch for the lakes.

True, I see a few today....they wouldn't bite. Where were you trying on spirit that you've had such bad luck

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:21 PM »
I wasnt the one on Spirit, I try to never fish spirit. I only go there when my summer buddies want to.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Bought an element 74 super awesome can’t fish without it jig last weekend. Half the paint is already gone. I take their reports with a grain of salt, they are usually reasonably priced and the convenience of stopping there on the way to spirit usually gets me. I really like stan’s but its on the wrong side of the lakes for me most of the time. I definitely miss shucks!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Bought an element 74 super awesome can’t fish without it jig last weekend. Half the paint is already gone. I take their reports with a grain of salt, they are usually reasonably priced and the convenience of stopping there on the way to spirit usually gets me. I really like stan’s but its on the wrong side of the lakes for me most of the time. I definitely miss shucks!

I looked at the element 74 jigs. They weren’t bad looking...I didn’t look at the price though. I usually buy the tungsten jig kits from Sitka since they are pretty reasonable.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:28 PM »
I tried East out from Kum n Go. It was dead. I caught some perch and 1 bluegill and 1 crappie. I was gonna keep moving but a friend wanted to hit Little Emerson  so I left. A few years ago we did good off to the NE of the ramp but I never got there today. Went to Emerson while I was waiting for him, it was dead too. Little Emerson was pretty slow but did ok. Gazillions of babies with a few nice ones. There was a small town off pocahontas point but I was not a resident.

I bought some widow maker jigs from Stan's. I think these are fantastic. I will definitely continue using them.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #99 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:58 PM »
I tried East out from Kum n Go. It was dead. I caught some perch and 1 bluegill and 1 crappie. I was gonna keep moving but a friend wanted to hit Little Emerson  so I left. A few years ago we did good off to the NE of the ramp but I never got there today. Went to Emerson while I was waiting for him, it was dead too. Little Emerson was pretty slow but did ok. Gazillions of babies with a few nice ones. There was a small town off pocahontas point but I was not a resident.

I bought some widow maker jigs from Stan's. I think these are fantastic. I will definitely continue using them.

I didn't go today....got around to getting my 4 wheeler ready. Put the mad dog ice áuger holder on the front rack of it & my ram holder for the lowrance H2O GPS. Had to replace a plug on the trailer...sucked none of the wire colors were correct....but got it done.

My buddy was out on millers....said he caught a few but nothing great was slow.

Sounds like everywhere is slow.

Spirit has to be DEAD with a no report from kabele's

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:38 PM »
They are a nice looking jig which is why i decided to try one, I think they are $1.99. Bought one of the kits from widow maker a few years ago and I buy a few when they are on clearance. Had to give one a try.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 10, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Bite was ok today very finicky. Would not hit a jig with spikes....would not hit plastics.....a finesse plastic with a small spike was the ticket if you left it still would not bite. If you jigged would not bite. Had to just barely wiggle it. Woulda caught about two to three times the crappie but the paper mouths kept ripping & throwing the hook out of their mouth.....popping it out at the hole or breaking the line off. Wasn’t at the lakes...just a local lake.

[/quote Were you at a local lake from your list of considered NW Iowa lakes,as I live close to all and like to chase crappies, or perhaps a local lake in another state as you live in Sheldon in way NW Iowa?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #102 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:35 PM »
Wasn’t a lake on list but is in NW Iowa. It must be a good year/year class for crappie. Between all the lakes I’ve fished this year I’ve caught more crappie then normal by far.

I made it over to lost Island today, since the bite at the lakes is so finicky....ended up catching 10 so wasn’t really better number wise...and the fish were finicky....would only hit whole minnows..but quality wise was a big improvement. Talked to 4-5 people that left the lakes to fish lost island since the lakes bite was off....It should be due to pick up next week.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:35 AM »
I think the success at the lakes has been way better than last year. I normally fish the worst hours of the day, 10am to 2 PM, and get a dozen fish. That's all I want to clean. If you can fish early or even better, late, the fishing is way better. But I'm an hour away, that gets me home pretty late. Yesterday I fished 11-3 and got 8. Everytime I moved, i got a few fish. I lost 2 in the hole and 2 halfway up.  And i had several where the bait went in but when i set the hook, it came out. Bad luck? Dull hook? Probably both, that jig has been on for 3 trips. If I weren't so lazy and cheap, I would have had a really good day. The lakes never gets real good until late in the season, for the middle of the day guys at least

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Wasn’t a lake on list but is in NW Iowa. It must be a good year/year class for crappie. Between all the lakes I’ve fished this year I’ve caught more crappie then normal by far.

I made it over to lost Island today, since the bite at the lakes is so finicky....ended up catching 10 so wasn’t really better number wise...and the fish were finicky....would only hit whole minnows..but quality wise was a big improvement. Talked to 4-5 people that left the lakes to fish lost island since the lakes bite was off....It should be due to pick up next week.
Your list of considered NW IOWA lakes has just expanded! Could you be so kind as to share the name of that lake with other members of this site?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #105 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:53 PM »
Your list of considered NW IOWA lakes has just expanded! Could you be so kind as to share the name of that lake with other members of this site?

No the crappie would be fished out in a week then. Plus it is private.

If your looking to catch crappie. Just go and fish west Okoboji or east Okoboji in the bays . I usually catch a few every time I go.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
IRe: Okoboji
« Reply #106 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:06 AM »
My mistake. From a previous post you said it was a local lake. I thought all lakes in NW IOWA are public and ponds, pits,etc. can go both ways, public or private. Wasn’t aware of any private lakes. My bad. Sorry I asked.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Nobody’s going to put up there hotspot on a public board. The way social media is these days, there will be 100 people there by the weekend.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Wasn’t asking for a hotspot. Being narrow minded as I am, I now realize a lake can be as SMALL as 2 acres. Learn something new everyday. There are a lot of “local private lakes” in NW IOWA that can be fished out in a week.  I was taught lakes are larger and ponds, pits, etc. are smaller. I never would have asked for the name of their “Lake”, esp. NOW knowing it is private.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Jan 12, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Anybody fishing these beautiful days? Almost makes me wish I was old, decrepit and retired instead of a middle aged, virile working man. But not quite, I can only eat so many fish.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Jan 12, 2021, 01:34 PM »
Yes and never wish to be decrepit. Not even sarcastically. Bad karma.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #111 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Anybody fishing these beautiful days? Almost makes me wish I was old, decrepit and retired instead of a middle aged, virile working man. But not quite, I can only eat so many fish.

Was out today.....one bite no fish was terrible...haven't been skunked in years..... Hope others had better luck.....Looks like the bite on spirit is hot......according to Kabele....🙄.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:12 PM »
Yes and never wish to be decrepit. Not even sarcastically. Bad karma.
I'm safe, I don't believe in karma. Did you do any good?

Offline IcefishingDR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:40 PM »

Pulled this 35" off of West Okoboji on 1/8. Saw plenty more this size and bigger but the bite was slow, just a lot of lookers.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2021, 02:17 PM »
That's a great pike for Okoboji. I've been seeing them but haven't gotten around to putting out tipups since I can't get fish cleaned :(

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #115 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:38 PM »

Pulled this 35" off of West Okoboji on 1/8. Saw plenty more this size and bigger but the bite was slow, just a lot of lookers.

Lots of nice pike....usually they swim past and could care less about the bait in the water. Nice catch.

Offline IcefishingDR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:52 PM »
I've done OK catching them throw the ice on West the last 3 years. I've hooked a few rod and reel fishing live bait that I couldn't land. After that I went to tip-ups and use like bait or large frozen creek chubs depending on what they are interested in.

I've also got pretty good at cleaning them. Since learning how to get all the Y-Bones out it's one of my favorite fish to eat.

Offline IcefishingDR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:56 PM »

I like to grill them (skin on) with some butter and onion packed where I removed the Y-Bones. Add lemon pepper or your favorite steak seasoning and it's a great meal.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Anyone do any good today?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:58 PM »
I don’t think there were too many brave souls out there today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.