Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 24863 times)

Offline timl300

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Had my grandson on Spirit on Monday. Fished Templar basin. Nothing but small perch. Ice in there was plenty good, but got thin near  the lake. Not taking any chances, especially with Kix along.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Anyone have any reports. Going tomorrow to fish with a budy. Not looking for hot spots or anything just an area where fish are cooperative.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:41 PM »
I just drove around there. There was a fair amount in front of the ritz. Smiths bay had about a dozen people. Triboji has about a dozen also, but they weren’t far from the ramp. Didn’t check miller’s. Little Emerson was packed and folks had wheelers out there. Not on the big bay, just the little one. There were also about a dozen folks of the ramp on big Emerson. Not too far out though. I will be going up there tomorrow also. Not sure where yet.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Kabele's said gills and some walleye were getting caught at anglers......but it's a kabele's report so who knows

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Kabeles will say whatever they have to say to get anglers up that way.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 30, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Kabeles will say whatever they have to say to get anglers up that way.

That's what I mean

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Started out north of Ritz. Picked up a few gills and crappie....most just looked then left. So at noonish went up to north side of anglers bay. Flashers were solid perch. One after the other.....all dinks. Fished Anglers from 1-5:30 sorting perch......ended up with 6 worth keeping.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2020, 07:21 PM »
I went to West. First bay didn’t work out so I went to a different one. Flasher was solid perch as well. Lots of sorting, but you could site fish it. I ended up with a limit of perch.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2020, 08:31 PM »
I went to West. First bay didn’t work out so I went to a different one. Flasher was solid perch as well. Lots of sorting, but you could site fish it. I ended up with a limit of perch.

Nice

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:31 PM »
Bay north of the ritz has good ice.....some crappie and gills coming out of it. Emerson was good ice gills are large. Anglers on the north side was all dink perch.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 05, 2021, 03:24 AM »
I fished right by the Ritz. Caught a ton of blugills but 1 out of 10 was 8".  Tried Smith Bay, tons of small perch, biggest maybe 8.5". Some 7" blugills. Emerson better size not great numbers. Millers was dead where I tried but I didnt spend a lot of time there, got hungry and left. Lots of small fish. If you find the dinks on bottom, fish high. If the dinks are high, Fish lower. That has been working for me somewhat. I've been out 4 times, have done OK every time. Good luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:25 AM »
I fished right by the Ritz. Caught a ton of blugills but 1 out of 10 was 8".  Tried Smith Bay, tons of small perch, biggest maybe 8.5". Some 7" blugills. Emerson better size not great numbers. Millers was dead where I tried but I didnt spend a lot of time there, got hungry and left. Lots of small fish. If you find the dinks on bottom, fish high. If the dinks are high, Fish lower. That has been working for me somewhat. I've been out 4 times, have done OK every time. Good luck.

I found you either need to site fish or use a camera. Nice size fish are with the hundreds of dinks. U just need to keep away from dinks and put it in front of the big ones.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Fairly steady bite on west side of east lake on Sunday.  Needed super finesse to get the gills to go but I got a couple nice ones.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:18 PM »
Tried TriBoji today fished in 7.5 to 21 ft

Lots of dink perch in the 10-16ft range....I messed with them for about 2hrs thinking that I’d get a keeper only to catch dink after dink....so I went deeper....got a couple 9in gills in 21ft of water. Bite sucked. Nothing even hit the crappie minnow on my rattle reel.

Older guy came over had the same issues I was having and was smarter then me and left. When he was leaving he stopped by and gave me the only 9in perch he caught since he didn’t want to clean just one....shoulda got his name seemed like he’d be a good guy to fish with.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:39 PM »
Yeah ! Cant see driving all the way up to okoboji for 1 9" bluegill ......LOL.LOL.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Yeah ! Cant see driving all the way up to okoboji for 1 9" bluegill ......LOL.LOL.

It’s fishing just how it goes

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:46 PM »
Fished all day Friday and Saturday. Smiths bay all day Saturday, first time using my new camera, watched countless dink perch and bluegill swim by. The bite was very poor, about had to see them take it into their mouth to catch them. Sunday we went up to spirit and had about the same luck, a couple keepers. Went to East off the Kum and Go ramp, around 1 they finally got hungry, caught lots of really nice gills a few good perch and even a dozen or so yellows.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:20 PM »
I bet fishing today was on fire in the rain. I'm heading up again Friday and Saturday this week.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:27 PM »
It never rained here.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Bite was ok today very finicky. Would not hit a jig with spikes....would not hit plastics.....a finesse plastic with a small spike was the ticket if you left it still would not bite. If you jigged would not bite. Had to just barely wiggle it. Woulda caught about two to three times the crappie but the paper mouths kept ripping & throwing the hook out of their mouth.....popping it out at the hole or breaking the line off. Wasn’t at the lakes...just a local lake.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:48 PM »
We probably got a half inch in Sioux Center. It was pouring at 130am.

Offline IcefishingDR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 07, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Anyone have an update on ice conditions at the IGL's?

Heading up tomorrow to drown some bait.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:14 PM »

I was on triboji it had 8inches.

Bite was tuff. The fish were there just would not bite. Site fished the saddle...got some. Talking with guys at the ramp nobody was catching much. Had a 35in + pike or Muskie swim under me. Could have cared less about my bait.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:21 PM »
You stepped foot in that place???

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Only place to get fish cleaned now. I will never use an element 74 jig, no matter how much better they are.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:35 PM »
You stepped foot in that place???

Lol.

I had gotten two free hand augers off facebook that I restored. One was missing a set of blades. I heard kabele’s had used sets that were sharpened for $19.......well at least I thought so. I put them on the counter to buy.....and she ask me for my exchange set....I was like what? Why would I exchange my blades when I can have them resharpened for $10 (I do it myself) I just want to purchase a used set of sharpened blades. Long story short....they finally sold me a used set of resharpened mora blades for $25......I made sure they were Sweden.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:48 PM »
Please Lord, let whoever is working on Shucks turn it back into an awesome bait shop. Not that dump it became.

You restored an ice auger? Why?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Lol.

I had gotten two free hand augers off facebook that I restored. One was missing a set of blades. I heard kabele’s had used sets that were sharpened for $19.......well at least I thought so. I put them on the counter to buy.....and she ask me for my exchange set....I was like what? Why would I exchange my blades when I can have them resharpened for $10 (I do it myself) I just want to purchase a used set of sharpened blades. Long story short....they finally sold me a used set of resharpened mora blades for $25......I made sure they were Sweden.
Can’t you get a new set of mora blades for that?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Please Lord, let whoever is working on Shucks turn it back into an awesome bait shop. Not that dump it became.

You restored an ice auger? Why?

I’ve done 2 6in and 2 7/8in hand augers.

Get them for nothing or $5 on facebook. Then I sharpen the blades hit them with paint and sell them for $35-$40 looking like new. Plus I like to repair/fix stuff. A lot of hand augers go for nothing since they want $35 for a new set of blades.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Stans sells resharpened blades...

Kabeles sure do like to push those element jigs all over social media. They must make quite a bit off of them.

Damn....wish I new Stan sold used resharpened....I like stand I woulda got them there.

I looked at the element jigs....eh it’s a jig they made to bring people to there store. It’s no shuck’s jigger by far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.