Author Topic: Do minnows help or slow you down?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do minnows help or slow you down?
« on: Dec 18, 2019, 12:40 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have a love hate relationship with minnows here is why.
I will set out a dead stick as it is called. Once in a while may get a pike or occasionally a bass not very often though.

Try dead sticking for crappies could count on one hand how many I have gotten in through the years using minnows.
Buy a whole scoop use 2 minnows tops the whole trip spend a week trying to keep them alive then they all die.

So am I missing the boat here I can catch anything on spikes/worms.
I never have luck with minnow for walleyes either.
Any bug imitation lures game on.
Tired of wasting money and time on minnows any one else or am I the only one ;D

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do minnows help or slow you down?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2019, 01:16 AM »
Minnows are just another "tool" in the arsenal.  You never know what the fish will want, but sure enough, if you don't have 'em, that's what they'll want.  I feel your pain about buying a few dozen, using two or three and then trying to keep the rest alive till the next trip.  At least the good news is that they do last longer in the colder weather  :)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2019, 01:20 AM »
Are you using the smaller crappie minnows for crappie? If not that might help.

Um....I’ve never heard anyone that doesn’t have luck with walleye using minnows. I’m not sure how to respond.....how are you hooking them....One of my go to walleye setups is back hooking a minnow with a 1/8th lead head jig then floating it 1-2 foot off lake bottom under a bobber.

To keep minnows alive put a touch of salt in the water store in minnow bucket in a fridge just a touch above freezing. Pick out any dead's in morning and night. I’ve kept minnows for a month that way. Always keep them cold. Never warm them up or cool them down.....temp changes really seem to stress them.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2019, 04:40 AM »
Mrpike..
Please dont take offense...
If you arent catching walleye using minnows you are doing SOMETHING wrong.. 
What type of minnow are you using (that will certainly play a role in level of success)?
My all time favorite bait for walleye is the standard creek chub that you catch in your minnow traps , followed closely by LARGE emeralds,and third is a golden shiner..
I hook them in the dorsal fin OR back by their tail and suspend them a 12-18" off the bottom..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Sometimes it doesn't matter. Hooked 2 the other day. One on a 3mm tungsten loaded with spikes. The other latched on to a small perch while I was reeling it in. Lost them both at the bottom of the hole.  :(
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:42 AM »
Some lakes just arent minnow lakes..some lakes are minnow head only lakes. As for keeping them alive..I keep mine in a minnow bucket ..change out half the water daily..but its important to have same temperature water..I have two gallon milk jugs that are next to the bait buck ..also keep my minnows near the garage door. Minnows cant take huge temperature swings ..ie house temperature to lake temperature.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2019, 06:18 AM »
Some lakes just arent minnow lakes..some lakes are minnow head only lakes. As for keeping them alive..I keep mine in a minnow bucket ..change out half the water daily..but its important to have same temperature water..I have two gallon milk jugs that are next to the bait buck ..also keep my minnows near the garage door. Minnows cant take huge temperature swings ..ie house temperature to lake temperature.

X2
And I keep the caps off the milk jugs to let the additives and impurities "evaporate". Constant air bubbler too. Minnows that are kept fresh and lively can make all the difference. Hooking a dead/lethargic one on a dead stick near the one you're jigging can help too.

I also add 1/4 tsp. of this every water change. Works for all type minnows.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:26 AM »
You must not use tip ups very much. If I didn't, I would not buy many shiners either.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:34 AM »
We can't even use them in the Western half of the state. Fish still bite .

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Where I am we fish basically 3 lakes for ice fishing.  On one lake the crappie love minnows.  I hook them through the lips on a tungsten jig and it's on. 

But on the other two lakes, the crappie won't touch minnows.  I think it really boils down to what their usual forage base is.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:48 AM »
One of the guys the fishes MT a lot and posts here a fair amount was talking about how he was learning to catch crappies here. Was using minnows and would catch maybe one or two a night I think and then started watching on a live scope. They were turned off by the minnows, as soon as they stopped using minnows they started to pick up fish consistently...  Definitely different everywhere you go.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:50 AM »
X2
And I keep the caps off the milk jugs to let the additives and impurities "evaporate". Constant air bubbler too. Minnows that are kept fresh and lively can make all the difference. Hooking a dead/lethargic one on a dead stick near the one you're jigging can help too.

I also add 1/4 tsp. of this every water change. Works for all type minnows.

if you want to save money just buy non iodized salt in place of this product.  As a fresh water guide who keeps and uses live shad often I have learned this, way cheaper and does the exact same thing without the green color in the water.  De-chlor solution for tap water then a cup of non iodized salt for every 10 gals of water is the ratio.  Those two things will last you a LONG time

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I gave up on minnows once I saw how well frozen herring and smelt worked at Devil's Lake. Now I put out my tip-ups with frozen (thawed on the way to the lake) smelt, and jig up my panfish with waxies and spikes while I wait for flags. I don't fish for walleyes much cuz most of my local lakes are just bass-pike-panfish lakes. I don't know if I'm just a better fisherman now or what the deal is, but I catch more fish than I used to when I was younger and I haven't bought a minnow in at least a dozen years.
Same with open water. All I use is lures like cranks and spinner-baits and I seem to do better than I ever used to with live bait. Maybe I just pay more attention now.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2019, 07:57 AM »
For bass and pike, you can’t do better than live minnows.

As for keeping them alive in a bucket, a few tips:
-keep them COLD.  They survive best in cold water, so make sure they’re outside in the garage.
-Add an air pump with air stone. Like $10 at a pet store.
-Use Amquel Ammonia water treatment. Again, not expensive. A bottle is like $10 at the pet store.
-Change 50% of the water each day.  Replace with COLD water, and make sure you add Amquel when you add the new water. The Amquel neutralizes chlorine and ammonia.  As someone above mentioned, you can keep a milk jug in the garage with fresh water so it stays at the correct cold temp for water changes.
-Remove dead fish when you see them.  Put them in a baggie and freeze for dead bait.  Live is better, but pike don’t care!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Live minnows aren't allowed here and it doesn't feel like a handicap. Similar to what @royjulius said, not having them forces you to try other stuff which leads to learning which leads to becoming a better fisherman.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Live minnows aren't allowed here and it doesn't feel like a handicap. Similar to what @royjulius said, not having them forces you to try other stuff which leads to learning which leads to becoming a better fisherman.
So you’re saying you’re a better fisherman than someone who uses live minnows?  ???
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Are you trying to start a fight?

I said that not using live minnows forces people to try different techniques. I said that trying different techniques increases knowledge. I said that increasing knowledge makes one a better fisherman. If you can dispute that logic, fine, but don't try to turn it into a personal attack.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:15 AM »
The day I don't have any minnows it probably the only day, they'll bite only on minnows.

Just like the day I forget my spoons tackle is the day they'll bite spoons.

The day I didn't bring out my chubby darter...yeah you get it...they'll be biting on the chubby darter.  ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:17 AM »
I rarely mess with live minnows. They slow me down. ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:18 AM »
So you’re saying you’re a better fisherman than someone who uses live minnows?  ???

Everyone is a better fisherman than I am.  That's why I have to rely on luck and equipment and other tools to even the playing field just a bit.  If I catch one fish, I'm just as happy as the next person who caught a hundred fishes.

I don't get to choose when the fish are biting, I merely go out, when I have time to go out fishing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:18 AM »

Sometimes... The OM never fished anything other than nightcrawlers. Maaaaybe a minnow in the spring, never a leech. Very occasionally the Johnson Sprite would get tied on and flipped around but I only saw that a few times in my lifetime. I'd figure if he was dragging bait that I could counter punch by casting, well, anything. Mostly it was a minnow bait, often a 1/4 oz. beetle spin, maybe a Silver Minnow. All depended on where we were.

I often caught fish when he couldn't even get bit. And usually a grab bag too. Best one was musky fishing on the Chip. We approached a group of islands, me casting and Dad and my son dragging crawlers. I had a follow from a smaller fish on a bucktail. When it got to the boat I could see that "smaller" was about a 26" walleye. Went and moused around the islands a bit, had a bite of lunch and then thought we should go back over were I saw that walleye. Snapped on a Storm Thunderstick of walleye appropriate size and as we got to the spot immediately caught a walleye, about 17". Next cast, another 'bout the same size. Old man says what do you have on? I showed him and he wrinkled his nose. Junior's rummaging in his box and says he doesn't have a color like that. I said I didn't think it would matter as I missed a hookset. He snaps on a pearl Redfin and catches one on his first cast. I miss another, he misses one and then we double. Finally the OM gets a floating Rap, ties it on and we triple. Caught a limit of 15 very nice eater 'eyes in about 20 minutes at 1:30 in the afternoon out of 6 FOW without a cloud in the sky. Go figure.

OMs crawler got nary a nibble... That's not the only time but certainly the best.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Are you trying to start a fight?

I said that not using live minnows forces people to try different techniques. I said that trying different techniques increases knowledge. I said that increasing knowledge makes one a better fisherman. If you can dispute that logic, fine, but don't try to turn it into a personal attack.
Woah there, not trying to start a fight!
Just a discussion, based on the way you worded it. This IS a discussion board.

I see what you were saying. I agree, using more methods/techniques forces you to learn and grow as a fisherman. I would just argue that someone could easily outfish the competition using live minnows with proper techniques. Many times. Not always. 

And proper techniques are key. Using live minnows can be an art form to get it right. And THAT can make you a better fisherman, too.

Sometimes... The OM never fished anything other than nightcrawlers...
I often caught fish when he couldn't even get bit....
OMs crawler got nary a nibble... That's not the only time but certainly the best.
That’s a cool story, Esox!  Sounds like a great memory. I agree, sometimes artificial baits/presentations are the only way to get the job done.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:33 AM »

X2.  Usually don't mess with them...depends on what lake I'm fishing.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Guessing x3 cause it depends on the lake.. if there is no shinners in the lake and you bring shinners then you got zero fish cought cause there not a forage fish of that lake.. it all depends on lakes and what they have in them..

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Mr Pike, I can totally relate to all the things you've mentioned.  I rarely take them along any more, for the same reasons.  I've found that the crappies in my favorite lake get spooked by a real lively minnow; generally, small spoons and jigs work just as well or better than a minnow.

I don't walleye fish much through the ice, due to a general lack of availability where I usually fish.  If there were more walleye heavy waters here, I'd probably invest a lot more in minnows.

The lake in my town is starting to crank out some nice perch, so I may bring some with me there more often this year.  But, I've heard plenty of instances where people are catching the perch on the same jigs and spoons that are catching bluegills.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:31 AM »
One time I was fishing a bass tourney, and not doing well. I figured if I could get the biggest odd-fish I could at least get my entry fee back. I went into this bay and saw a pontoon boat with 4 guys all floating shiners on bobbers. They weren't getting bit. I saw a school of crappie fry start jumping out of the water like they were being chased. I tied on one of those Storm swimbaits (wild-eye series I think) that looked like a baby crappie, tossed it toward the mayhem, stroked it twice and wham! 7 pound pike and I got my entry fee back. Right in front of the shiner guys. They hollered "what are you using?" I jokingly said "observation". Then I showed them what was happening in the bay. I don't know how they ended up doing, but they had top-shelf shiners in a bay where pike were actively feeding. Shiners just didn't resemble anything in that lake and pike apparently didn't want them. 

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:39 AM »
I also have very little luck on live minnows, but sometimes they get me that one fish that saves me from getting skunked.

I buy a scoop of crappy minnows and they seem to last a month or so even when I don't change water like I should. I bring out a half dozen or so in a bait up jar to put on my set line while I jig on my other line.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Minnows sure dont slow me down.but i only get 3 dozen emerald shiners if im speck fishing at night.i dont catch anything on minnows during the day for some reason.i also get a dozen golden shiners for pike and ive went thru all them and had to go get more so many times fishing them on tipups.specks eat spikes during the day over minnows on the lakes i fish but come dusk i go thru 3 dozen easily.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2019, 01:25 PM »
WOW! Thanks for the replies!
I have used crappie minnows for crappies what I have found by having a dead stick it does slow me down I'm so busy looking at the deadstick I'm always missing fish when I'm jigging and I dont move as much to stay on the fish.
As for walleyes I get fathead minnows As I have said I rarely get a fish.
Ironically last night In my area we have a meeting at the DNR headquarters if you will just a group of guys that get together with the DNR fisheries we get info like stocking, how the fisheries work, etc all open forum any way I posed this question to the group.
I was shocked it was not just me in my area there was 1 person who swore up and down minnows were the first coming.
Everyone else said you want eyes get shiners, everyone said fatheads except for tipping a spoon worthless. So as many said it can be the areas you fish.
Many agreed also the area I live in not the best walleye waters to begin with. Best to go to Mille Lacs, Leech Lake of the woods etc.

At this point I think i'm going to give up on the eyes and primarily pan fish I absolutely love sunfish and crappies.

I want to thank everyone who replied I learn so much on here.
Sometimes to be honest you just think it's you that can't figure it out when others say they have been there it helps build confidence back up.
In my years of fishing the best lure I ever owned was confidence first lure second.

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.