The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Need recomndations  (Read 3694 times)

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need recomndations
« on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Just jumped the boarder into Minnesota from Wisconsin. Have always wanted to give spearing a try. Full time ice fisherman with an insulated pop up I plan to spear outta. Whats a good starter saw, spear and go to decoy? Running a live sucker I am sure is better so I plan to do that.
Thanks!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Need recomndations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Im a greenhorn but spear out of a hub.fishs sporting saw is great.theres nils saw too.ive had good luck on any red/white sucker decoy.i speared my first pike on a red/white golfball on a wind chime spinner.i also have a live sucker pinned down the hole to but pike seem to be interested in flashy stuff.the pike i speared tried eating the golfball and i speared it while it was thrashing on that.lol 32”i started out with a cheap ebay spear.then got a amish made one once i knew what i was doing.i bought the spearhead then welded a rod to it.cheap around 40$ into it.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Just jumped the boarder into Minnesota from Wisconsin. Have always wanted to give spearing a try. Full time ice fisherman with an insulated pop up I plan to spear outta. Whats a good starter saw, spear and go to decoy? Running a live sucker I am sure is better so I plan to do that.
Thanks!

If you're completely new to spearing, I'd recommend finding an experienced spearer in your area and ask to go sit with him/her.  That said, the Fishs Ice Saw mentioned by Doc is a great saw.  Production made decoys by Bear Creek and/or Lakco will draw pike in and also gives you something to help size up those fish that do come in by comparing the quarry to the size of your decoy - hand carved decoys are what most seasoned throwers use, though.  As to a spear - you get what you pay for holds true.  Weight forward, round tine, welded barbs are spear attributes to look for, but you're going to end up buying (or making) a custom spear if you're gonna stay with the sport.

Check the Minnesota Darkhouse Angling Association for folks in the sport near you.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Now that MN allows an added line w/hook, I just use a sucker or shiner rigged to a hook and a red and white golf ball on a spinner.  I have used decoys before and sucker harnesses.  I don't like the added weight of the harness.  Last time I went I never had a northern grab the minnow, they'd come in slowly and stare at it or the golf ball. 

Fleet Farm used to sell the Nils ice saw, which I picked up more than a decade ago - not sure if they still make them though.  I hear good things about the Fish's saw. 

I don't think you can get a bad spear, IMO.  Back in the 90's I picked one up at Fleet Farm and I believe they're much better now.  I bought a Clam spear several years ago, which has a wooden handle, but haven't used it because I continue to use one of my cheaper ones. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.