Author Topic: Looking for new ice rods/reels  (Read 4009 times)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for new ice rods/reels
« on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I am looking into getting some new ice rods but can't afford $100 rods. I am looking at the Northland Tackle Cherry Picker and Haymaker. I have a couple Scheels rods and they are ok. I am just looking for thoughts and opinions on affordable rods that I may not know that are out there. I will be mainly fishing for bluegill and crappie with the occasional trip for perch and walleye up north. To go along with this do you guys buy combos or do you stick to certain reels and just add them to the rod? Thanks!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for new ice rods/reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I am looking into getting some new ice rods but can't afford $100 rods. I am looking at the Northland Tackle Cherry Picker and Haymaker. I have a couple Scheels rods and they are ok. I am just looking for thoughts and opinions on affordable rods that I may not know that are out there. I will be mainly fishing for bluegill and crappie with the occasional trip for perch and walleye up north. To go along with this do you guys buy combos or do you stick to certain reels and just add them to the rod? Thanks!

Fenwick Elite Tech rods are a pretty good budget friendly rod for perch/walleye, IMHO.  Don't be ashamed to add a quality spring bobber to a rod - they do help.  I buy rods/reels separate.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:13 AM »
If you are fishing for pan fish and crappies, you have an unlimited amount of choices.  Visit Mills Fleet Farm, Walmart, Cabelas, Fish USA etc and select any combo in the ultralight or light selection.  These combos are usually around $35-$50.  You can even go to the jig stick and line (not sure where they still sell these, but they work).  Ugly Stick, Clam, Shakespeare, 13 Fishing are all legit selections. 

As for setting up a combo, I like the Ticklesticks and the 13 Fishing Line, so I have a few rods that I set up.  The 6061 inline reels are good for my style, so I pair them with the Ticklestick.  I found a few Wicked Ice rod combos on clearance at the end of the season that I purchased. 

There is no reason not to use the cheaper rods if the fish are aggressive and will bite anything.  The more sensitive rods will show the bite better when they are more selective. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Ht ice blue is a sensitive pan fish rod, had mine forever

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I fish for panfish. I have a couple of Fenwicks that I pair with Pfluger presidents, I think 6920’s. These reels are used on  a couple of 7’ panfish rods in the summer. The rest of my ice rods ar 13 fishing tickle sticks in various lengths and actions. The only combo I have purchased, I bought for the rod and ditched the reel. Should be some good sales coming soon.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:31 AM »

Fenwick Elite Tech rods are a pretty good budget friendly rod for perch/walleye, IMHO.  Don't be ashamed to add a quality spring bobber to a rod - they do help.  I buy rods/reels separate.

Which spring bobbers do you recommend? What reels do you go with?

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:04 AM »
The new Beaver Dam noodle rods look nice and are only like $13. I seen them at Walmart and Farm & Fleet. Probably going to pick one up this year.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Which spring bobbers do you recommend? What reels do you go with?

I use Ice Strong bobbers that I attach to the rods using Loctite "GO 2" tape.  Easy to use, doesn't leave a sticky mess, and allows me to slide the bobber wire in for storage and out to use.  For reels I run with Pflueger President 6920's and Black Betty Free Falls.  Majority of my fishing with those Black Betty's is done inside a shanty.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:38 AM »
The quality of ice rods today is amazing.  Even that cheap Shakespeare Wild series ice rods is an awesome value retailing in at $15 or less.  I started with Ugly Sticks and St Croix Premiere ice rods.  Back then I got these rods for just a little more than $10 each and they most certainly got the job done and still do.

The new Northland rods, Cherry Picker and Haymaker are a premium rod retailing at $60.  I haven't personally seen them.  There's lots of good rods in around at that price.

This year I unnecessarily added a Fenwick Techna ice rod 28" ML retails about $50.

A few years ago I picked up Clam Ice Team Carbon ice rods retailing at about $35.  This year they only come in combo's

St. Croix Mojo ice rods retailing about $50.

13 Fishing Wicked ice rods retail about $30 and Whiteout at about $40.  Also available as combo's but the reels are on the junk side.

As for rods, I say pick a rod based on the lure or lure weights that you will be using - not just for the fish.  Everyone fishes a little differently and everyone will have a preference.  And when a person gets down to it, they will finally make a choice with which rod or reel that suits their preference.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:53 AM »
The quality of ice rods today is amazing.  Even that cheap Shakespeare Wild series ice rods is an awesome value retailing in at $15 or less.  I started with Ugly Sticks and St Croix Premiere ice rods.  Back then I got these rods for just a little more than $10 each and they most certainly got the job done and still do.

The new Northland rods, Cherry Picker and Haymaker are a premium rod retailing at $60.  I haven't personally seen them.  There's lots of good rods in around at that price.

This year I unnecessarily added a Fenwick Techna ice rod 28" ML retails about $50.

A few years ago I picked up Clam Ice Team Carbon ice rods retailing at about $35.  This year they only come in combo's

13 Fishing Wicked ice rods retail about $30 and Whiteout at about $40.  Also available as combo's but the reels are on the junk side.

As for rods, I say pick a rod based on the lure or lure weights that you will be using - not just for the fish.  Everyone fishes a little differently and everyone will have a preference.  And when a person gets down to it, they will finally make a choice with which rod or reel that suits their preference.

Your last paragraph of your reply says exactly where I am at. I just need to test a handful of rods and see which one fits me. Looks like i just need to get a few and test em out! Thanks!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I'd get the beaverdams - they're a good deal. Those northland rods are new this year so you wont find any reviews or first hand experience with them. they look like good rods tho

I would strongly advise to never buy an off the shelf rod without handling it first. See how well it balances and feels in your hand, think about how comfortable it will be to use. If there are several on the shelf, take the time to look at the guides and handles - pick the one with the best looking wraps, straightest blank/guides, etc. Flex the rod, if it makes cracking sounds, don't buy it lol! If the rod wants to roll over on itself when flexing, pick a different one - every rod has a spline/spine and off the shelf rods aren't built along that strong/weak axis. sometimes when you flex them they wont want to stay straight.

Catchin' Fish

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:36 PM »
If you'd like a foray into the noodle game for panfish, the Clam Power Noodle is one of the nicer combos out there for around 40 bucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-Power-Noodle-Combo/dp/B076TQSHKC

I bought 2 of these for my kids and I have fished them along side my customs and they perform at times just as good.  the customs have a bit more stiffer back bone but I used them to catch 3-5lb whites on the river and they worked great. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Your last paragraph of your reply says exactly where I am at. I just need to test a handful of rods and see which one fits me. Looks like i just need to get a few and test em out! Thanks!

That's the thing is finding that rod that suits the task and it doesn't need to be an excessive cost.  One of my favorite rod just happens to be a Shakespeare Cajun Ice rod UL.  It did everything perfect as far as a noodle type rod for me.  It was light enough and had enough of a backbone transition that suits my style.  It did it's job perfect for light biting deadstick task.  At the time the rage was St. Croix rods and Dave Genz rods.  The St Croix Premiere ice rods were my basis.  They worked really well as a no frills or thrills type of rod.  Just plain basic performance.

And again to me, most of the rod is for using the lure.  I have a few custom Thorne Bros ice rods in their Sweetheart series.  Panfish, Perch, and Walleye.  I use the Panfish sweetheart over 80% of the time because of the lure types I use.  Small spoons, small jigging raps, anything from 1/64th oz weight to 1/8th oz weight.  The best thing about this particular rod blank is in it's ability to control fish.  The feel is different that I almost never lose a fish once it's hooked.  I feel like I could almost sense what the fish is doing and can almost tell when a fish running or when I'm able to turn a fish around.  The primary reason I went custom I wanted a longer rod and there wasn't anything on the shelves at that time.  I also wanted a reel seat because I just have no desire to taping up a reel.  Finally I wanted a bait casting set up and a finesse one.  Customize is not for everyone, until one finds out what they want.  And I admit, it will change in the future too.  I do have the Thorne Bros ice rods to use as my basis now.  Always looking for something to the equivalent in performance but costs less.

I often post up my review of the equipment I use.  It's also based on a fair amount of use as well as first impressions.  And sometimes when I remember to follow up after the season.  Sometimes it's old stuff that's been out for years.  Sometimes it's new stuff in first season of introduction.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks are my favs followed by HT ice blue in the 18 inch.
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Hardwater Custom Rods on Ebay sells great rods for $42 each, shipped.  I own two and they work great.  Check them out. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:28 PM »
the meatsticks are awesome, love the noodle tip and elite techs are one of my all time favourite ice rods for value.  put a pflueger president on either of those and you've got a deadly combo.  also like the tickle sticks!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:33 PM »
I bought the Northland Cherry picker a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to try it out. Also have the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick. Also a nice rod in that price range.

Offline P-row

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Manning....I agree with the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick rods. Great for panfish and no need for a spring bobber. As for a reel, check out Piscifun ICX5 . I haven't purchased one yet but will be getting one soon . Only $28.00, 6 ball bearings and folding handle. Good reviews too.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Gotta throw in a plug for the Tickle Stick rods.  They are great in my opinion.  Only $50 and eliminate the need for a spring bobber.   Personally, I like the descent/free fall style reels, but that's a touchy subject around here.  Haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Gotta throw in a plug for the Tickle Stick rods.  They are great in my opinion.  Only $50 and eliminate the need for a spring bobber.   Personally, I like the descent/free fall style reels, but that's a touchy subject around here.  Haha.

Based on the sounds of it in this discussion the Tickle Stick is a rod to consider along with the Meat Stick, Fenwick, Beaver Dam, etc. Christmas is coming soon. Maybe i should add it to my wish list.

This leads to another question. What is your opinion on UL vs L vs ML actions? I'm thinking more L instead of UL for panfish/bass for me in SE Nebraska. ML for more perch/walleye up north.

I have never used a inline/free fall reel yet. Not sure how i feel about em. I am a die hard spinning reel guy.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I like UL for crappie/bluegill if I'm using small jigs.  I like L for using small spoons/lipless baits/jigging raps for crappie/bluegill since the lures are a little heavier.  I use braided main line to a fluorocarbon leader, so I get good hook sets with UL rods even in 20+ feet.  If you're using straight fluorocarbon or monofilament, then you might want to jump up an action if you're fishing deep.

That's just my thought process.  Good luck in your decision making process.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:55 PM »
As mentioned above, you want to size the strength of the rod to the jig you will fish.  For me, when I use the small tungsten jigs, I use the UL.  For larger jig spoons I usually go the L.  When searching for walleye and larger, I am using the ML.  The Ticklestick is a site rod.  I also found a website that sells them on clearance during the offseason and this helped with the cost. 

I tried the spring bobber setups and just didn't like them.  Some guys use them and they work, just not what I liked.   

Depth of fishing will determine what type of in line you want to use.  If fishing shallow water, the 1:1 reels are fine.  Its not much trouble peeling off line.  When deeper, its easier and quicker to have a free fall get the jig down.  There are threads on the differences of these types.  They were hot for awhile, maybe new marketing helped feed the frenzy.  All the talk of line twist.  They work, but sometimes I still like the spinning reels.

the Meatstick is another rod that I have my eye on along with a noodle style rod.   Someone here mentioned the St Croix Avid Ice as a possible noodle style rod.  May have to put one of these on my XMAS list.  You can never have enough rods.  At least thats what I tell myself.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I'm also a fan of the JM Meat stick and the JM Dead meat rods!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Ok...my turn

27" Genz spring bobber combo for pannies. I have 3 and absolutely love them. About $35. * see below.

36" Schooley Arctic Ice (fiberglass) for Walleye. $25. Use your reel of choice.

* I removed the spring bobbers that came with them as after a time they loosened and would spin. Tried the Ice Strongs. They were extremely sensitive,which I like, but they broke. And at $10 a pop I wasn't going to replace. So a buddy turned me on to some homemade ones...8", 36# wire leaders. Cut them in half and attach with sewing thread and coat with nail polish. I won't use anything else.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:35 PM »
The newest and most interesting rod out there that I see is the 13 Fishing ice rod called the Archangel.  Just from reading the specs one their website, it appears to have a flat tip.  I find the rod and handle fusion process quite interesting.

I've always wondered why no one just rolls an ice fishing rod blank kind of this way.  Although my thoughts would've been to have the blank be of sized to match up with a reel seat.  Since I'm not much into taping my reel onto a handle anymore.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Shakespeare noodle rod. I have one that is 24” and one that’s 30”. $12 or less. I have a 27” tickle stick and barely use it because I prefer the Shakespeare noodle’s. I have a couple phlueger ice reels that are $25-$30. I plan to get another phlueger reel and pair it with a DH custom Al Dente rod. I want to see if there is much difference between it and my Shakespeare noodle rods...

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:05 PM »

I would always go with the clam set ups if i cant afford a custom rod thats what my next go to would be with a shimano reel

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:10 PM »

x2
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:14 AM »
I run the Shimano sienna 500 reels on all my ice rods. For the price you'll never beat that drag. They're always buttery smooth. When you run light line, a smooth drag could be the difference of landing the fish or not.

As for rods I usually just walk the shelves and give em all the old bend and flick test to see what I like. I have a medium action Beaver dam that I picked up last year that I really like
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Well, ended up going to the Hardwater Expo this weekend and bought the JM Dead Meat and a 30" Noodle rod.  Price was 20% off marked price, so thought that this was a good buy.  Can't wait to give these two new rods a try here soon. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.