Author Topic: Recommended rigging for this new jig for single hook lakes?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So I got this new jig mold in and I decided to play around with it a little bit today.
This mold is for a jigging Rapala style swimming minnow bait.
Now as many of you know some of our trophy lake trout lakes are single hook only.
So I'm wanting your recommendations on rigging these with a single hook.
Do I put a single hook on the bottom where the treble hooks are or just use the single hook on the back of the jig?
If I eliminate the back hook I'm thinking I could just stick a wire in there to help hold up the tail fin.
The pictures are of unfinished jigs that were made for lakes where they are allowed with the treble hook.
Cast in lead these came out at 1.1 oz and cast in tin they came out at .8 oz.
I will be doing some of these in regular powder paint and some of them will have a 3D holographic foil coating with airbrush accents.
And no these are not for sale!
Appreciate your recommendations on the hooks thanks!

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Recommended rigging for this new jig for single hook lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:21 PM »
I vote for the swingin' treble. Less leverage for hooked fish to work against and the opportunity to replace if necessary.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:32 PM »
I vote for the swingin' treble. Less leverage for hooked fish to work against and the opportunity to replace if necessary.
Well it's not going to be a treble it  has to be a single hook with only one point.
But that makes sense on being able to replace it.
Do you think the hookup rates will be the same either way?
I haven't fish jigging minnows a lot. In fact I haven't used one in several years so I don't recall which hooks used to produce more hookups for me.
KasilofChrisN

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2019, 04:03 AM »
Last couple of years I've been fishing a single hooked in-line spinner for muskies. They've been surprisingly good hookers. I like 'em because I've been wired past the barb too many times and one hook with one point is easy to keep track of. Three 7/0 trebles swingin' all over is an accident just begging for me to get involved  ::)

I don't think there'll be a big drop off in hooking percentage especially if the lone hook is midships. I've also become an avid jigging lure user for both ice and open water. More aggressive fish get the whole lure while neutral nippers get an end or just the middle.

FWIW I just saw this in a Target Walleye email, it may have some application for you:

Hooks are so easy to dress. Doesn't have to be feathers either. Could be flashabou, krystal flash, synthetic hair, plastic grub, whatever, my imagination runs wild. I'll be playing with some adorned trebles this year for sure and I'll bet it could help you get more hookups by focusing attention to that area of the lure.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Dressed trebles are easy enough to make.
no walleye in Alaska though but I'm sure the same concept will work for lake trout.
that and I am going to make some of these for my relatives down in the lower 48 who do a bunch of walleye fishing through the ice.
KasilofChrisN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.