Author Topic: Yet another Nils thread  (Read 1749 times)

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yet another Nils thread
« on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:09 AM »
So, done a bunch of reading of past threads but haven't really helped crystallize a decision for me.

I have a 6 inch blue nils hand auger. I'm going electric this year. Such a Nils fan that I'd love to stay with them...

Question is, should I

1) buy a Clam Plate and Adapter and use my existing blue Nils

2) Buy a Nils Kovacs adapter for Blue Nils

3) Sell the Blue Nils and buy the Orange Convertible one, eliminating need for an adapter or clam plate/adapter

Cost isn't a huge factor in the decision as they are all in the same general ballpark

My thoughts are that the Blue Nils seems a bit too tall to use with the Kovacs, and that the Clam Plate is a bit more ergonomic. I do like the thought of the plate allowing me to control the setup better and keep the drill off the ice. Then again, I'd like the option to be able to easily take the drill off and use it to anchor my pop-up, and the orange convertible is at a nice height, and would allow easy drill removal.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this due to an acute lack of ice round these parts...

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yet another Nils thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Option #3, but keep the blue Nils as a back-up.

I’ve been running the orange Nils for the last 3 season, and it does a great job cutting ice. The auger cuts very smoothly, and I ran it without a side handle for the first two years. If you have a side handle for your drill, I see no reason to get the Clam plate.

But, there is a reason that the Nils has a reputation for being a little finicky. I dropped mine last year when taking it out of the drill chuck. It was only about a 2 foot drop, the blades impacted the garage floor, and the head never worked right again. It took some time to find a replacement, and I wish that I had a back-up in the interim (why I suggest keeping the blue as a back-up).

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I'm also going electric this year (just bought the Milwaukee 2804-22). I currently have a blue Nils but have it listed for sale and will be buying a K drill. The Nils works great but I am worried about damaging the head or needing sharpening. I fish on silty ice so I just assume try and get rid of it now before I need to get it sharpened or replaced in the future. The cost of the replacement head and trying to find one in stock has scared me away from Nils.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Went with the Clam Plate and a Ridgid drill last year. At first used a Lazer 7 inch. Made an adapter for my 8 inch Nils last year. Almost all other augers than Nils need an adapter to make long enough.  Unless you are of munchkin dimensions.The Nils is tall enough on its own.  Clam came out with adapter this year to hook Nils up. I ordered one to replace my shabby homemade one.

I have nothing bad to say about the Lazer. It worked very well. In fact an amigo of mine had me set him up an identical setup. Just have used Nils my whole life. Never a moments problem with them. I picked up extra blade sets when at end of ice season. They put them on clearance. have both extra 6 and 8 inch. Have never needed to re-sharpen.

I did modify the clam plate to hold the Ridgid Octane drill by drilling extra mount holes. Also mounted trigger spring with mod posted on this site. The guy I set up for is entirely happy. But has not been able to sell his gas rig.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Have the blue Nils, Clam Plate and Rigid Octane.  Works like a charm.  Did not have to modify the plate for the drill, but you will have to buy an adapter.  Can't imagine another rig being "better" than this one, as it cuts ice like a hot knife through butter.  I'm 6'6" tall, so I cannot comment on the height of the rig - they are all short to me.   ;D         
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2019, 02:05 PM »
option 3 .... have had the convertible for 3 years, still cuts like butter, less stuff to take with you as well.

Keeping the blue for a backup would be a great idea as well.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2019, 02:18 PM »
I vote for option 1 or 2. No need to buy another auger if you’re sticking with the same size. Use the money for a spare cutting head for the nills you have. I’ve read a few reviews on the orange nills where the piece that goes into the drills chuck snapped or got stripped since the metal used is on the soft side.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2019, 02:31 PM »
I like the clam plate over letting drill sit in snow! but the one thing the  other adaptors don't have is..  a way to stop auger from falling down hole..  like this one at links below..  by the way there is $15 of $75+ orders today only at fish usa here is the nils drill adaptor version they may have the clam plate did not look for it while here to get the $15 off $75+ use code "fall15".. with the clam plate you got to get a nils auger adaptor to run it on the plate e bay has them so does clam makes there own

https://www.fishusa.com/Nils-USA-Cordless-Ice-Auger-Adapter

Clam plate plus 15 off with cupon code: fall15..

https://www.fishusa.com/Clam-Ice-Auger-Drill-Plate-Conversion-Kit

Offline kpmswi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Get an adapter and use your drill you have now.
Here is my 6" Blue Nils with a 650" Ridgid drill. Works well and have never had it catch and twist.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Fwiw I use the regular blue Nils but throw one of their powerhead cutting heads on. They have that mini auger in the middle to help get it started and keeps you from banging the blades on the ice. Was running that set up with an ice gator but the batteries died so will be going gas this year
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2019, 05:50 PM »
I use the 6" blue Nils with a Kovac adapter and a #2704-22, M-18 hammer drill. Two seasons of use without any problems.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Keep your Nils, buy an extra blade for it.  Get the Nils adapter.   I have an orange and one extra blade.  I send a blade into Frank Delucca every year for sharpening and put the other one on, then have a sharp back up waiting. 

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Option 1 is he way I would go.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:15 AM »
I have the 4.5-5 Orange Nils, wish I had bought the next size up, but other than that I love the way it works.  I have it attached to a DeWalt 20V drill, and I have the handle as back up in case my batteries are not charged or run low.  This year I'm buying the Anchor attachment, last year at the end of the season my shanty turned into a sail boat going to avoid that this year.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:26 AM »
I'd go Option #2, but it is a taller setup.  I'm 6' tall and it's a little awkward with how tall it is with the Kovac.  Certainly not unusable, but taller than say, a Mora or Lazer.  But it did come in handy when I was drilling 30" of ice in Wisconsin and northern Michigan last year with my 2704 Milwaukee drill with a 5.0ah battery.  I don't drill until it's swiss cheese, but I never had a battery life issue with my 8" Nils.  I also bought a backup cutting head, but haven't had a need to use it after 3 seasons on my Nils with over 1,000 holes cut.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:40 AM »

Got the Nils 8" blue auger set up with clam plate adapter and a 18v Rigid octane drill.
Just added the clam plate adapter to the auger this year all set up waiting for ice!                                                     The Rigid drill alone last year with the nils auger cut though the ice like a hot knife thought butter! Beat all gas augers with ease. Cant wait to see how the clam plate set up works!

smitty :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.