Author Topic: wooden ice shack  (Read 6542 times)

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
wooden ice shack
« on: Jan 22, 2003, 02:14 PM »
has anyone ever built a wooden hinged ice shack?if so could you email me or instant message me.looking to build one. either 4x8 or 6x8.ill attach it on a trailer.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

rails1210

Re: wooden ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:38 AM »
me to

Stew

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2003, 06:43 AM »
Guys,

Go to fishontario.com and print the instructions.  I built a shanty using these directions and it is great.  I did stray as far as building the rails and floor.  I used the directions for floor dimensions but used 2x6s as rails and cut 2x4s, placed them 16" on center between the rails.(floor support)  I only put four holes inside such that there was adequate fisherman room, two on the end and two on one side.  I also used 3/4" conduit for the three support posts on the interior.  When attaching a pull rope make it long enough that you can throw it over your shoulder for pulling.  I installed handles on the outside rails(2x6's) for ease when lifting into the back of my truck.  If I am by myself, I lift one end of the shanty on to the tailgate and then pick up the other end and shove it into the truck bed.  My Coleman Lantern keeps everything quite toasty inside.  I did install a hinged fold down shelf on one interior end that rests on the conduit interior supports.(keeps things off of the floor)  I spent just over $100 for materials and it required eight hours of assembly, I am by no means a carpenter. If you have any questions write me.

Good Luck, ;D

Stew :'( :'(

Offline tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On, EH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2003, 08:20 AM »
*REMOVED*
Born to Fish, Forced to Work
<')(((((>{

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2003, 07:54 AM »
Where I fish it's not paractical for me to leave a shanty on the ice. So I made one out of 1/4 inch plywood with 2x2 side wall and ceiling framing the bottom was 2x4 framing with runners on it. I used door hinges in the corners and floor and door hooks to hold the flat roof on. I had plexi windows and a door on each end it was 4' wide 6' long and 6' high. the front wall and back wall windows were a 1foot piece of plexi at the 4' high mark by the length of the wall. With the hinges and hooks I was able to pull the pins  take it apart and set each wall on top of the bottom along with the roof slide it into the back of my pick up. It set up in a jiffey it was pretty light and I would pull it with my sled. It worked out very well . I've since broke down and bought a fish trap.
Not sure if this is what you were looking for but here it is.
First ice
Go early , stay late

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2003, 10:16 AM »
first ice, this is exactly what i had in mind.could you please instant message me plans of it.also if you have any pics.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2003, 10:16 AM »
first ice, this is exactly what i had in mind.could you please instant message me plans of it.also if you have any pics.

1nunzio

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2003, 06:40 PM »
I'm just finishing up on a 5 x 7. It folds up to 30" x7', with 15 " fold outs on either side. The fold outs have 4' long troughs with covers at each end. The ends detach and fold in half. This year will be blue tarp. I've cut my runners down to 2 1/2' and have used 1/2" plywood on the floor and the end walls. Still ended up kinda heavy. Will get to try it out next week.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2003, 02:22 PM »
first ice,                       could you istant message me the plans or post them here.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2003, 02:23 PM »
or email me the plans

crappie_hunter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2003, 06:52 AM »
send me the plans too please

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:wooden ice shack
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2003, 08:10 PM »
hey stew I built one just like it. even though it is a little heavy, the comfort makes up for it.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2003, 09:12 AM »
hey crappiehunter. check out fishontario.com. i did one from there and with some modifications it is sweet.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Cold as Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2003, 09:31 PM »
if anyone has pictures of thier homemade ice shantys Id really like to see them. So if you dont mind please e-mail me. thanks
Ken.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.