Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

Marking an old spearing hole?

<< < (3/3)

Knife2sharp:
I hear of people putting the block back in the hole.  In all my years of spearing, I've never been able to budge the block after removing it because it freezes to the ice.  Maybe a chisel can be used to pry it up, but I never bring a chisel with when I spear.  Can someone explain how they do this?  Put it on a tarp?

Mizayikaa:
It's all relative. You would think a block on the ice would be a great marker but yes, snow machines hate it. Especially after it has snowed on top. I have always been a fan of leaving a bunch of brush, branches, whatever you got to mark the hole but have been surprised at how many times I have seen people walk out on the ice only to see a pile of branches and head right for it saying "how did that get there". Immediately to be yelled at by me of coarse. I think the best answer is common sense. Do the best you can with what you have at your disposal and hope that everyone else will be vigilant.

Whopper Stopper:

--- Quote from: Knife2sharp on Dec 23, 2019, 01:13 PM ---I hear of people putting the block back in the hole.  In all my years of spearing, I've never been able to budge the block after removing it because it freezes to the ice.  Maybe a chisel can be used to pry it up, but I never bring a chisel with when I spear.  Can someone explain how they do this?  Put it on a tarp?

--- End quote ---

It's not that hard but yes, I have a chisel with. The block has to go in exactly as it comes out so pay attention to which is the top and which corner goes where. It works well until the ice gets thicker, 18"+ then I chop the blocks in half. Just put them back as they were removed and it's no problem. My hole is 30"x30" so not as big of block as some. The ones on Winnebago in WI are often 6.5' x 3' so shoving them under is a lot easier, but can creat a lot bigger hazard .

Regardless once the blocks are back in the hole flat, I always mark it so no one ends up bobbing.

WS

Martian:
 yes, if you know you are going, take it with you. Last couple years, after Christmas, I drug home a thrown out Christmas tree used it the rest of the year

Martian:

--- Quote from: Knife2sharp on Dec 23, 2019, 01:13 PM ---I hear of people putting the block back in the hole.  In all my years of spearing, I've never been able to budge the block after removing it because it freezes to the ice.  Maybe a chisel can be used to pry it up, but I never bring a chisel with when I spear.  Can someone explain how they do this?  Put it on a tarp?

--- End quote ---
   I always have a spud with me, and I push the block under the ice. but in the initial hole you drilled you can use your spud to hookit , and float it back

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version