Author Topic: Lake Louise report thread 2018/2019  (Read 13066 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake Louise report thread 2018/2019
« on: Nov 03, 2018, 11:42 PM »
Looks like the main lake might cap off tonight or tomorrow night so I figured let’s get this years thread off and running.  I guess the few of us that still watch this site can give our reports and talk a little bs from time to time.  I will hopefully be dragging the shack out the weekend after thanksgiving if everything goes good and helping my 87 year old grandma catch her first big laker, should be a blast.  I hope everyone has a safe and successful season.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Louise report thread 2018/2019
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Hey, if your family is up for it when they come to visit, another option is to go out to my cabin.  The offer is open if you are interested.  They might enjoy the comfort of a wood stove and a cabin where they can stretch out the legs and relax.  Although I must say your ice shanty is pretty comfy too!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:00 PM »
My grandma is all jacked up about staying in the hardside so I don’t think there would be anyway to get her away from that thing.  Are you going to make a run to your cabin, I don’t think there will be much snow?  If not you should come hang with us after all we did get Jakes cabin dried in a few weeks ago.  Can’t beat those shallow water early season lakers nothin better than sight fishing in 5ft of water.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:34 PM »
Man I sure would like to make it up to Lake Louise . Me and the family sure have been kicking around a trip 😁
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Do it the lodge will be open on the weekends this winter and there’s plenty of good fishing within walking distance if you don’t have a sled. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Are you going to make a run to your cabin, I don’t think there will be much snow?  If not you should come hang with us after all we did get Jakes cabin dried in a few weeks

Sounds like fun.  Let me know when you go.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Saw someone sitting out on army point this morning.  It would be nice if they were on the forum so we could get an ice report.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2018, 10:32 AM »
i am going to have to try this early season ice thing you talk about. maybe one of the first couple weeks in december. unless the ocean looks good then i may have to go kill ducks instead.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:08 AM »
Three to four inches on shoreline at best with less further out, 8 to 9" of snow with overflow working into it.  That's what I have herd....
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:19 AM »
That’s not good.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Hopefully I'll be up there a bit this winter.
My dad just bought a cabin on the lake this summer.
Got a bunch of supplies to haul in for cabin and property upgrades.
Going to get some lake trout jigs made soon.
Just got in some new molds I'm dying to try out!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Hopefully I'll be up there a bit this winter.
My dad just bought a cabin on the lake this summer.
Got a bunch of supplies to haul in for cabin and property upgrades.
Going to get some lake trout jigs made soon.
Just got in some new molds I'm dying to try out!

It's a great little lake Chris. ;)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:24 PM »
It's a great little lake Chris. ;)
Oh I know I was there in June.
Caught me a few Lakers while I was there.
Then I went back for 10 days of moose season.
Didn't get a moose but had a lot of fun hunting with my dad.
I'll be back in February if not sooner.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Went up this weekend to do some riding and hang out at the lodge and got a good look at the lake first hand.  The good news there is plenty of snow, the bad news is there’s plenty of snow. The reports I was getting from a few guys that went out was that there was 5-6 inches of ice close to shore but out farther the ice went down to 2-3 inches.  The whole lake was covered in overflow and open methane pockets so with out consistent low temps it will take awhile for the overflow to freeze.  I rode all the way to crosswinds on Saturday and while the trail was real rough it is defiantly doeable.  The lake on the other hand looked worse than Louise with huge pockets of overflow and pressure cracks with water pushing up around them.  I would advise everyone to stay off the lakes until we get some colder temps no fish is worth your gear or your lives.  Be patient everyone it will come.

Offline TundraT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:28 AM »
I like the way this is going. Keep it in the club,no more bragging or pict's..of fish, unless between 24 and 26 inches. Then only the meat in the skillet. In the shack..no outside picts that might give away the location. But ...'ever..keep it to safety,conditions,tactics  trail and Lodge, help lines and things un said..this lake don't need more slayers.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:36 PM »
Any recent reports on ice/overflow? Headed that way tomorrow morning.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Last I heard the overflow was still everywhere but that was early in the week.  From the web cam it looks like that patch out in front of the lodge is still soft.  If you go I’d stay in old snow machine tracks and only stop in areas where it looked like other people have stopped.  The main lake probably still has thin ice.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:27 PM »
how was the ice danner?  headed up the last weekend in december as long as we can get to the areas we want to fish.

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:34 PM »
The overflow wasn't too bad out there. We stayed on a fairly well used trail close to shore and headed north up the west side of the lake to Larson Bay. You could see where folks had left the trail and found overflow below undisturbed snow. When we got to Larson bay, I was surprised at how little ice there was. Only 7-8" of good clear ice. Wind kept us hunkered down in one spot for most of the day in shallow 10-12' of water and it was dead; didn't even mark a fish. Early afternoon the wind settled a bit and we moved out deeper (23-30') and found some fish. 

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:36 AM »
I like the way this is going. Keep it in the club,no more bragging or pict's..of fish, unless between 24 and 26 inches. Then only the meat in the skillet. In the shack..no outside picts that might give away the location. But ...'ever..keep it to safety,conditions,tactics  trail and Lodge, help lines and things un said..this lake don't need more slayers.

SEE ABOVE TundraT

Everything that has been posted since your very first post on this website has been about ice thickness/overflow then  you came back guns a blazing.  once you found out there was a guide service working out of one of the lodges.  There is more then one guide that fishes that lake FYI.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:12 AM »
So there's this new "chasing assholes" guide service on LL. Congratulations to all you posters... you made this happen.  Don't ask for links or some kind of proof as to how this FB diarrhea hurts this lake system..I'm embarrassed..what a shame.
You know what would really help this Lake? Why don't we restrict fishing there to only those who own property on the lake! That would help wouldnt it?lol
But in all seriousness you can't expect a lake like this not to attract at least a part-time guide Service.
My dad bought a cabin on the lake this year. Been a lifelong dream of his to have a log cabin on a lake.
Went up there in June and within the first 10 to 15 minutes of fishing he had a 10 plus pound lake trout on his line.
And this was someone who's never fished lake trout before in his life.
We didn't catch any true monsters that trip but we did catch quite a few fish. All were released.
I guess my point is that short of closing the Lake to fishing or severely restricting who can fish there people are going to go there and they're going to figure it out and there going to catch fish.
Maybe we all need to hide evidence of our fishing holes brush out our snow machine tracks and hide all indications that we are fishing every time we go there.lol

KasilofChrisN

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:25 PM »
You guys need to ignore Tundra T, he’s just a troll that tries to get this thread shut down every year so people will stay off “his lake”.

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I agree man, you own property you get to fish. But fish and game won’t do that. Tight lines everyone. When in doubt, put a fresh piece of bait on!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Hey salmonman what’s up.  I see your light on out there how’s the ice and overflow.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Akhardwater sent me these pictures today from Lake Louise.  I think he said they were from jiggenfrogs.  Anyhow, I am sure one of them will get on here later on and explain the photos, but in the meantime, be smart and safe everyone.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:40 PM »
I went up to check the lake out and start building a trail to haul the shack.  I found three areas in my short travel of the lake that had about an inch of ice covered with snow that my argo broke through.  One was over 20' of water and the others where 4 and 8'.  The holes ended up being about 4' across or so before ice was safe again.  If I did not run two of them over and break through I never would have known they were there.   I found mostly 8 to 11'' of ice.  Could be methane pockets, more could have opened up from the quake......not sure.  Either way just wanted people to know what they could be getting into and what to look out for. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:51 PM »
headed up this weekend be camping on the NE side of the lake. if you see a black and white summit next to a eskimo double wide stop on by.  With the short days we will probably be doing alot of night jigging for eel pout

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:01 PM »
headed up this weekend be camping on the NE side of the lake. if you see a black and white summit next to a eskimo double wide stop on by.  With the short days we will probably be doing alot of night jigging for eel pout

We will be out at our cabin at that time.  If you happen to make it out to our location stop by for some coffee or a beer.

Offline Graylingking17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2018, 12:40 AM »
Has anyone ever fished beaver lake just north of Louise or dog lake 

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Yup

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.