New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1025703 times)

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #780 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:16 PM »
thanks

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #781 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:17 PM »
S10xr great job

Offline Squeakysteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #782 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Fished from 7-12 around messenger shole caught 2 shorts marked fish on and off. Fished from noon until dark on the south shore off Lewis and caught over 10 shorts lost one keeper. Took home a couple dozen yummy Fat perch. Also thought I had the wallets of my life on ! After around a 4-5 minute fight it was a big ass burbot ! Anyone having any luck in the 40 fow range ?

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #783 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Went out from Godfrey. Moved about a dozen times but finally found em out in the deep water. Good luck all and be safe

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #784 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:46 PM »

finally got to make it to oneida, northeast corner. lots of pins but managed a few. ice was thick and slick with some water on top here and there.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline TeamWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #785 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Really tough day off Godfrey. 7-5, 6 guys. 2 keepers, 10 perch, and 100 shorts. They would Chase and look and slide away. Threw everything we had. Beautiful day though. Still much better than the Pro Bowl. Ice was great. Couple cold night will harden it up. Pics from 7am and 530 pm.

Offline TeamWalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #786 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Better photos from am and pm. Last post we're panoramic and I'm not sure they converted well. Beautiful day.

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #787 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Love those pics!
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #788 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Nice pics...miss it aready.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #789 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I fished Sunday evening. Pretty much same results as everyone else. I put one keeper on the ice and marked a zillion more but couldn’t sweet talk them into my bucket lol. Nice job on the tournament s10. I heard Stormy made out pretty good 🤑🤑
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Ice head Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #790 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Fished all day Saturday and caught 14 perch between my son & myself. (mostly my son). But we had allot of fun chasing flags. Most of the time it seams like they would take the minnow & then drop it. Better than taking the wife shopping.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #791 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:21 AM »
tough bite for me Saturday but did scrape up a limit of eyes, I got 2 in the am then a couple more after 4:30. It was a zoo out there.  I wouldn't have stayed all day but my ride was in the tournament so I hung out. For those coming from out of Town, Oneida can be tough but stick it out and you'll eventually run into them.

I still don't have my sled going, I tried to fix it with the help of a friend and the new cdi box we put it was totally dead so I brought it to a repair shop where they ordered a new part, not realizing my engine was swapped out they order the wrong part, delivery truck got stuck in an ice storm out west which delayed delivery for over a week, now the part (hopefully the correct one) is being delivered from somewhere in Canada, can't make this stuff up. 

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #792 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Well Rug and Moose my spot was dry today did some hole hopping, few marks only 3 small perch that went back. Must be the east wind east is least, west is best lol.

Gave Oneida a break this weekend XC 600, don't think Moose made it out as of Saturday. Did find some perch elsewhere. Quiet and peaceful day on the water. And yup that sheep skin seat is warm & comfy.

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #793 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I got out early this am and Lady O was good to me. I think she felt bad for eating my phone over the weekend. The water/slop on top froze up and it was slick!!!!!    I should have brought ice skates...or at least creepers.  I was able to sneak out and be back to work by 10.  Fish were a little more aggressive....maybe due to less commotion?? 

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #794 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Well Rugburn you didn't miss much awful slow weekend for us. Ever since the snow cover left it's been slow lots of lookers not many takers. Not sure if it's the light or just the late jan mid feb blues. At least you got a meal lol

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #795 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Tried onieda for the first time Saturday. It is and hour forty from me so I left very early and got bait in Sylvan beach. Very good bait store. Went to Godfrey and out on the ice in the early dawn light. On foot but I made it out to what seemed like good area with a bunch of others setting up. Fished until maybe 10 without even a single bite. I then said no way I'm getting skunked and moved way way out to the middle. I had no sooner started fishing and a giant rifle sounding crack right under my feet went off and the ice continued crackling for about  45 seconds followed by a large bang against the bottom of the ice . Sooooooo I went back in to where there were others Lol   I am not counting onieda out tho, very pretty there and I met a couple of great guys and fished, along with traded stories with them for quite awhile. Sometimes its not about the fish but the experience. I definitely don't like getting skunked tho......cant  even catch a perch ???  what the heck.
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #796 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Tried onieda for the first time Saturday. It is and hour forty from me so I left very early and got bait in Sylvan beach. Very good bait store. Went to Godfrey and out on the ice in the early dawn light. On foot but I made it out to what seemed like good area with a bunch of others setting up. Fished until maybe 10 without even a single bite. I then said no way I'm getting skunked and moved way way out to the middle. I had no sooner started fishing and a giant rifle sounding crack right under my feet went off and the ice continued crackling for about  45 seconds followed by a large bang against the bottom of the ice . Sooooooo I went back in to where there were others Lol   I am not counting onieda out tho, very pretty there and I met a couple of great guys and fished, along with traded stories with them for quite awhile. Sometimes its not about the fish but the experience. I definitely don't like getting skunked tho......cant  even catch a perch ???  what the heck.
Sounds like my first trip or two to Oneida.  Takes some getting used to but it is addictive.  I'm coming from  Irondequoit so I too pass a lot of good perch water to get there.  Once you hit some of those Oneida perch or get into a walleye or two you're hooked.   Get em next time.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #797 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Quote from: DeadEyez link=topic=350554. msg3808551#msg3808551 date=1517230999
I heard Stormy made out pretty good 🤑🤑

You mean Craig doesn't donate the profits to some children's charity?   ::)

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #798 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:53 PM »
You mean Craig doesn't donate the profits to some children's charity?   ::)
Take a wild guess lmao

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #799 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:58 PM »
 Think I'll burn my 2014 hoodie... :P
 Congrats on getting into the $ s10xr!  :thumbsup:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #800 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:03 PM »
I wouldn’t burn it. Could prob sell it for big money to one of his followers 🤩

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #801 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:10 PM »
tough bite for me Saturday but did scrape up a limit of eyes, I got 2 in the am then a chouple more after 4:30. It was a zoo out there.  I wouldn't have stayed all day but my ride was in the tournament so I hung out. For those coming from out of Town, Oneida can be tough but stick it out and you'll eventually run into them.

I still don't have my sled going, I tried to fix it with the help of a friend and the new cdi box we put it was totally dead so I brought it to a repair shop where they ordered a new part, not realizing my engine was swapped out they order the wrong part, delivery truck got stuck in an ice storm out west which delayed delivery for over a week, now the part (hopefully the correct one) is being delivered from somewhere in Canada, can't make this stuff up.
Not so EPIC fishing and sled repair!!! Your right... no making this stuff up!!!🤨
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #802 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Great sunrise. Worked hard for a dozen perch and two eyes. Fished west of Chapman's closer to the island.  As always, a good time.

If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #803 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Gave Oneida a break this weekend XC 600, don't think Moose made it out as of Saturday. Did find some perch elsewhere. Quiet and peaceful day on the water. And yup that sheep skin seat is warm & comfy.

Fishing my 'spot' weren't ya! Fish and eggs?

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #804 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I got out early this am and Lady O was good to me. I think she felt bad for eating my phone over the weekend. The water/slop on top froze up and it was slick!!!!!    I should have brought ice skates...or at least creepers.  I was able to sneak out and be back to work by 10.  Fish were a little more aggressive....maybe due to less commotion?? 

Dandy Walleye!!
Mondays were always good for me. I used to pay attention to where the first guys on the ice would head to Monday morning...I figured they were locals who fished the weekends and headed right back to their hot spot from the weekend...I never followed them, just made my way there a little later... ;)
I always figured the fish moved away from the coming sleds in the morning, and the power augers...So I always fished further away from where they all stopped or I always stopped away from the crowds if I was looking for active fish...and did quite well over the years. Less commotion is a good thing. :tipup:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #805 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Awesome pics and reports guys!! Helps me get through the work week 👍🏼

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #806 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:52 PM »
We are staying at apps for a few days.. got out for a couple hours this afternoon and me and my buddy each picked up a limit of nice eyes.. quite a few lookers in the first spot then took a ride toward shack n things turned around nicely. Beautiful afternoon 12-14" of ice and perfect travel on quads. Back at it in the a.m

Offline Ernye_LRFG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #807 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I haven't posted much yet but the information on here is great. Have a rare four day weekend so I thought it's about time I chime in on how the season is going for me.

This is my third season on Oneida, so I'm still very much in the rookie category but after the first few weekends hoofing it out to the drop from Taft my mind is gravitating towards getting a machine. Fishing was solid out there for eyes off the drop in the 25-30ft range, with the normal early morning and dusk bites being the best. Went 4/4 early in the season as far as limits.

After the first few trips I decided to switch it up and change locations so have since been out from Godfrey last weekend and Cleveland on Sunday and yesterday. It's been nothing but shorts for me since, a lot of them. Just can't seem to find keeper sized walleye the farther east I go. Been setting up on gigantic schools of pins just waiting for the big marks to show up but they just havent. Must've caught 30-50 shorts a day and found myself having a few questions that I hope aren't beat to death.

Is the walleye game like the perch game, if you're on a pile of dinks should you move because they're most likely all dinks?

Are there separate basin and structure related schools of fish?

How deep is too deep? disregarding the catch and release factor that deep water poses. Stressing the fact that I'm not looking to c&r a ton from deep water but if I'm looking to fill the frying pan.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the resources on here. It's been fun following this thread and hope to contribute more when time allows. Good luck to everyone this season, have fun and stay safe.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #808 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:32 AM »
The small fish seem to hang together. That being said I have caught some shorts on every trip but 1 so far. I have fished 5 different locations East, mid-West, North, and South 19' - 35'.

I avoid those spots with a lot of pins. When you get them deep I think a fair amount of them die. Also I try to bring them up slowly when I know they are small.

Offline crappyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • no, it's not spelled wrong, I'm just not any good
« Reply #809 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Fished out of Taft Bay Park yesterday. Glare ice with no snow. About 10 inches of ice everywhere I checked. Fished off the edge of the shoal to the southeast of the park covering 100 yards from 15-32 feet of water. Did not mark any fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.