New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024735 times)

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #150 on: Dec 29, 2017, 05:57 PM »
I went off Sylvan Beach for the morning.
Caught about 15 walleyes unfortunately all were well short (6-12") plus dropped about as many.
I did get 1 keeper perch.
Ice was very walk-able with creepers with only traces of snow here and there.
The lack of wind made the day that more enjoyable.
I moved three times and found ice 6-to-9".
There must have been 30+ guys out there.
No machines yet.

Tomorrow I will try somewhere on south shore.

Stay warm (and dry!),
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I was also out of sylvan today. Fished from 7 to 5. I must have caught 100 fish today. Came home with 22 perch and again onieda lake did not disappoint on the size of perch. Eyes on the other hand were all small. Caught a bunch but no keepers. Oneida is kicking my but as far as finding keeper eyes. Ice was good 6 to 9 everywhere I drilled with the exception of one spot where the shove ice was so thick I had to move. Broke through but the hole just kept filling with big pieces of broken ice.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Welcome back Old Guy!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Does Oneida get big pressure ridges that form during the day like other big lakes?

On the south shore, west of Lewis Point, there are a lot of pushed up "icebergs".  Much more than the start of last season.  When it's time for sleds, we'll really need to watch for them, especially at night.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #154 on: Dec 29, 2017, 10:52 PM »

thanks for beach reports guys, i'm late this yr getting out, the reports sound great. only going to get better..
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Bakes1212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Thanks for the ice reports

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:37 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Accessed from Williams Beach @8:00 am with my good friend Cusefan. The thermometer reading  on the truck read 2 degrees . There was no wind whatsoever. There were 5 other vehicles in the parking lot and most had accessed towards the island while Cuse and I opted to a GPS co-ordinate we had some luck at in previous years. Somewhere in the middle of the lake. I mention this as we would normally be on a machine and it would not require any great effort. Not so yesterday as no one is sure of the ice conditions yesterday and we wanted to give a good report . WE both had new shanties and were equipped with smittys to drag them  with.

Did I mention the drag was to be some 2 miles toward the center of the lake?  We set out, spud in hand and started cutting holes every 500 yards or so. To our amazement the first few holes were 2 to 3 inches of white ice over 4 inches of dark ice . Continuing on out, getting used to the cadence of (step step spud), we crossed 2 major pressure cracks both in early stages of formation. Crossing the second pressure crack, visually the ice was cleaner and with less snow or drifts, a sign of newer ice formation. Cutting a hole with the Nils showed the ice to be 3 and a half inches on the other side of the second pressure crack.  Each hole we cut beyond that second pressure crack we assumed to be the newest ice perhaps only created from the previous day and nights cold temperatures. The ice had a i/4 inch of dusting snow over it's entirety and the drag was (smooth as ice), how is that for a metaphor eh?

Finally , knees burning, back aching we arrived at the "secret" gps coordinates and started cutting holes. Cuse  has all the new toys. He has one of those fish finders you can drop in the hole and it will tell you if there are any fish in any direction a hundred feet or so. Bad news, our "secret" honey hole looks more like the Mohave desert than a flourishing honey hole. Let me reiterate the important part, all holes were 3-1/2 inches of clear ice when we got there  and after 3-1/2 hours of  fishing, the ice thickness was over 4 inches. We were constantly panicked by the "growing PANGS" one hears as the ice is growing.

Let me put a little meat on the skeleton. Cuse and I cut our holes, set up some tip downs as we were sure our secret honey hole was about to produce. Didn't happen. Still we sat in our respective flips, he in his Otter and I in my new Shappell 200 and watched out at our motionless tipdowns while jigging various arrays of colors and configuration of jigs to the non-existent fish below. My 29 dollar Coleman open burner stove acting as heater and stove worked flawlessly keeping my shanty as warm as a summers day in Key West,while Cuse's 100 dollar Mr. Heater had a frozen regulator and he had to bring it into my shanty to warm it up. No matter, I still warmed his can of soup on my burner and offered to share the heat in my new, roomy shappell. He demurred and proceeded back to his cold Otter..

Now with this lengthy dissertation one might expect a surprise ending. I wish it were so. Eventually one hapless fat 10 inch perch did gorge himself on one of my fatheads, thereby old Boggey, winning the dollar for the "first fish over eight inches"  This can hardly constitute a surprise in the middle of Oneida Lake. It only confirms,we ain't Snagger.

The drag back in, did I mention on the drag out we traversed two chunk fields which on the way back in were much more bothersome leaving as entering. So let's recap . One hour drag out, 3-1/2 hours of non eventful fishing and an hour and a half drag back in with multiple rest stops for pain breaks. One fish between the 2 of us, a low single digits day of temps with no wind, catching up with an old fishing buddy , swapping lies and old fishing tales , I would say yesterday was priceless.

Post Script:  I have to believe, with the frigid temperatures we had last night and forecast for the day today and the next few days we will have one of the best ice season's in recent history, barring warmer weather. I did see some machines on the ice on the drag back in. As always, please be safe out there and SPUD SPUD SPUD.
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:59 AM »
Thanks for the report.  Heading for Sodus this morning and hopefully first trip to Oneida next week.  We're supposed to get socked with some lake effect this afternoon.

Offline stoutrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:44 AM »
New old guy that had to be the most entertaining ice report I have ever read you made my day thank you for that can't wait to get out there

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:36 AM »
Setit your in Constantia hows that look ?
I think the ice in constantia will be really good (eventually) as the thin ice that blew off went towards Cleveland before it refroze. I haven't been out yet much except riding the sled by shore in Cleveland, and there is A lot of that broken stuff or piles of it. Someone else said to be careful of these piles, some look like they are chunky enough to send you flying or rip your track off if you are really moving. Also this stuff takes longer to freeze as well, so there can be punky spots.

Be safe, looks like A good one this year in the making.

CNY

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #160 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Fishing out of Edgewater this morning, sold 8" of Ice, few guys out. Fishing is a little slow
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #161 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:34 AM »

Thanks Tim , the wind did raise heck , down the road after we have really good ice some snow will help smooth things out,  in the mean time watch those ankle busters guys

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Has anyone been at Taft yet? Looking to give it a try tomorrow...thanks

Offline ocSpecial

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:52 AM »

Decent morning for the first time on Big "O" this season.
Fish On!

Offline caribou

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #164 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:19 AM »
STOPPED AT TAFT ON FRIDAY. 1 FISHERMAN OUT HE WAS FISHING TO THE EAST. ICE IS REALLY BROKEN UP AND REFROZE LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE VERY HARD TO WALK OUT ON. SHARDS OF ICE STICKING UP ALMOST A FOOT HIGH AS FAR OUT AS I COULD SEE WITH BINOS.HOPE THIS HELPS OUT...........

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Anyone that's headed to Lewis Pt make sure you bring a spud. Ice may be good but tight cracks have opened up and are wet and slushy. Watched some folks scratch their heads looking for safe crossing.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Thanks for the report, guess I need to look at the map again...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:07 PM »
Quite a few guys out there today at the usual haunts on the northshore. Should be some more good reports coming in this evening. I was on the west end yesterday for pans and had a good 8-10 inches of ice. Heading out for eyes in an hour. I’ll post on conditions tonight
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #168 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:13 PM »
good deal deadeyz.......good luck......hit the beach last 2 days.....ice was 10"+ where I drilled.......not many keeper eyes but tons of shorts.....enough nice perch to make it worth the trip....I will be wheeling it next trip......thats just me, not saying whole lake is good to go......looks pretty rough out beyond the 24 foot depth line, lots of jam ice....could be really tough to navigate....lots of guys out today......a handful of machines.....easy walking.....bring cleats, slippery as hell in spots

Offline taildancer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish-o-haulic
« Reply #169 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Has anyone been at Taft yet? Looking to give it a try tomorrow...thanks
I can confirm Caribou report above I went out of Taft this morning very rough ice and one spot where it must have been open and it was new clear ice 2-3" thick for 30-40' and quite a ways east and west then back to rough ice I was out about 3/4 mile ice was 5-6" thick fishing was decent. Bring the stud.

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I also hit the beach up today figured I'd see what all the commotion was about. 9-10" ice where I drilled ( inside ice heave), alot of short eyes handful of small perch all went back in. I think the bite is a little tougher this year than our normal first ice bite. Maybe being the water got cold so quick ? Oh well back at it in am !

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:48 PM »
I headed out with the spud this afternoon. Got about 500 yards out and ran into a large area where there was 1 1/2 inches of ice. I didn’t even have to hit the ice that hard with the spud when it was going through. Decided that I didn’t want to pick my way back through that area in the dark so headed back in. Should be good to go in that spot in another day or two. This was in the constantia area.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Pressure crack off east side of Lewis point right off the access is sketchy and wet.   Eventually found a place to cross it on the way in but spud would just drop right through in many places.  Witnessed two people go for a swim trying to cross it tonight coming back in near the rock jetty that sticks out near the pavillion.  Will be covered in snow tomorrow so use caution.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #173 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Fished out of sylvan beach today,

28 feet of water
4-5 inches black
3-5 white

Shove ice wall limits distance out to deeper water.

Few nice perch and whites too.

No fatheads at bait shop so caught them on spikes😒

30+ shantys out there👍🏻

Not to be a pest , BUT, passed 4-5 cut holes with trash and butts left behind.

Pick it up😉

Spud is a necessity 🤘🏼

Tight lines all!

Offline mooneye61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Fished all day out of Edgewater. Got out SW to about 18'. A large pressure crack visible another 150yards out so we decided to set up camp in the 18' depth. We kept active jigging all the time as the bottom was active. Only three small walleyes, all caught by vansmak. I could get them to chase my jigs all the way up to 8' but they just did not like me today. We did keep some nice perch.  All the bites were light, nothing slamming it today.  Ice was clear and 8". The lake started talking right around noon. Just a light dusting when we went out mid morning but snowing pretty good when we walked in at 4. Felt good to get out for the first time this year and at least bring home a perch dinner.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:36 PM »
How about those ice quakes out there today??  :o

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:16 PM »
How about those ice quakes out there today??  :o

No matter how many times I've heard them before, they still freak me out every time.  Makes you feel helpless!

Offline Black Betty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:39 PM »
Went out of Chapman’s sat am until 11am.  Ice decent but a little variable 4-7 inches.  Moved around and checked some waypoints in 30-35 FOW that were good previously but didn’t mark much and didn’t ice a fish. 

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #178 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:00 AM »
  Thanks for reports guys, I didn't fish today but I drove  from lakeport back across the beach and up to constancia for something too do, instead of buying a truck too haul my gear this fall, because my station wagon died a couple yrs ago, {my camry can't haul my gear|....I bought a sled too keep at the lake with my gear , thought that will solve my problem and wouldn't you know it, that lake froze as jagged as I've ever seen in on northshore, just my luck, that lake needs a good 2 feet of snow on it now too cover that stuff up for sleds.talked with a lot of people, everyone said tough bite today. southshore was much smoother ice, like night and day compared too northside.  for all the guys that walk out of apps, now that I have a sled if snow ever gets deep, i'll pack a nice path for the walkers.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Saw people all the way out by grassy and was gonna try to catch them but missed them when they came in. They were walking on the ice where it didn't have all that crap pushed up. Brave souls, all of that was open water before the cold snap, but I have to believe it has frozen better than that packed up ice. Going to try to see what's shaking today if I can catch anybody coming in after work today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.