The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Need an ice saw  (Read 7320 times)

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need an ice saw
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Looking for any information on where I can get a good new or used ice saw from. In the past I have always used my buddies power auger but I only went a couple times a year. This year I am planning on going 15+ times to a lot of different lakes in my area and can justify the money for a saw. Any info on brands or deals is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need an ice saw
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:53 AM »
 dream saw, or fishes saw are # 1-2. buy the one you get the best deal on I have dream saw. I think one  is a little cheaper then the other, but both work and it seems to me one had a metal handle , one has wood, wood is warmer, but my buddy found a deal on one with metal on it, and put hockey tape on it. I never see used ones for sale

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Many of the guys around here have a dedicated chainsaw with no oil in the tank. They use the small Husky, not sure which model.

Offline TheRock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:57 AM »
The ice saw manufactured by Fish's Sporting Toys is the way to go. Many places online, and in stores, sell them. I bought mine right from the company's website, and also had a nice phone conversation with the owner. He's a good guy, who is located in NW MN.
Some days your the hydrant, some days your the dog....

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:35 AM »
The ice saw manufactured by Fish's Sporting Toys is the way to go. Many places online, and in stores, sell them. I bought mine right from the company's website, and also had a nice phone conversation with the owner. He's a good guy, who is located in NW MN.

X2

WS

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Thank you for the responses guys. I will check them out.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:55 PM »
The Fish toy saws are the only saw I will use. have had two of them now(should of never sold the first one) and won't go with anything else. they cut like you are cutting through hot butter.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:42 AM »
The Fish toy saws are the only saw I will use. have had two of them now(should of never sold the first one) and won't go with anything else. they cut like you are cutting through hot butter.
yes they do.im a spearing greenhorn but when I first got my fishs  saw I went right out to my pond and ripped a hole in it.fast!then never got to use it spearing due to the ice rotting away last year.this year I'm ready with spear,saw,decoys and sucker pins and going to use my shappell widehouse 6500 for the shack.

Offline webee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Fish's Ice Saw. THE BEST!

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. Ordered a Fish's saw today. Will post pictures when I get out on the hard water. Thanks again

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:44 AM »
3rd year for my Fishs, love it to death! Enjoy

Offline U.p.Will

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:54 PM »
I finally bought a fish ice saw this year. Wow! Amazing piece of equipment. Just wish I would of bought it 5 years ago. Lol

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:58 AM »
there is a guy on c l in flint section but is in orchard lake area has an ice fish tackle store with lots of used stuff

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Fish's Ice Saw works great for me.  I got mine on eBay.
Good things come to those who bait.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:34 PM »
i do not know what brand they were but they had some at northwoods today in pinconning

Offline Sleeri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I’ve used Fish’s Ice saw the last couple of years.  Works great.  Not sure how I ever got by without it!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:57 AM »
i do not know what brand they were but they had some at northwoods today in pinconning
They have Nills saws

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:13 AM »
I use fishes, but am curious to use a batt. chain saw. tried a cheap one last year, and the results are as you would imagine. it was perfect for one hole

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:22 AM »

Here is a review I found at Lake Ice:

Ice Saws:

Top: Fish's ice saw, Bottom: Nils ice saw. Scale:
They are about 7 feet long and they fold to half that length.   

Not an ideal thickness tester but  great for cutting out sections of the ice to inspect an ice sheet.  If you have questions about the integrity of an ice sheet this is a great way to good look at the internal structure.   They are also good for making plurrövning (swimming)  holes without  leaving an oil sheen on the water as a chain saw will.  A  saw can poke through 2-4” of ice with a few hits.  Thicker ice may require a starter hole or wet crack. On 7" well thawed small grain ice a saw will cut about 6 feet per minute and keep you warm while you are doing it.  They have a lot of tooth set and can cut a round holes as small as about 7".   Be mindful of making bigger holes that people might step or fall into (leave something mark them until they refreeze (stick, branches, ice block, etc).

Close up of the teeth on Fish's and Nils saws. I found my Nils saw tended to catch part way through most down strokes.  Saw users on fishing forums indicated they found the Fish's saw was smoother.  I bought one and it is significantly smoother and the cutting rate is a bit higher. I recently spoke to the importer of the Nils saw and he said if you reduce the set a bit it will cut more smoothly.

Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.