Author Topic: Tip up setup for lakers  (Read 9357 times)

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up setup for lakers
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:04 PM »
What do u guys usual use for a setup for lakers with live bait and what's your setup for larger dead baits ? How deep do u usual fish ur tip ups for lakers ?

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip up setup for lakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2016, 02:13 AM »
for me i use a 10 to 18 white tube with a 3/4 to 1 oz head with a 6 inch piece of sucker either off of my Ht tip up or a jawjacker in 75 to 100 foot of water and i do fairly well and pretty consistent for lakers

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2016, 06:03 AM »
I have had good luck buying live 6" to 8" shiners and then freezing them (can't use live bait) and fishing them right on the bottom no matter what the depth is.

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:47 AM »
AZ what rod are you using on that jawjacker? We've caught a few decent lakers on a jaw jacket but have never used anything than a 3" tube and usually shallower water.  What lake are you fishing with that big of a tube and what size fish are you hauling out? Just curious

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:13 PM »
i ise a 36 in mh frabil ice hunter and a 40 inch eagle claw medium heavy yellow glass rod and i use those size jigs on granby and blue mesa and have gotten fish anywhere from 10 lbs to 45lbs all are still swimming

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2016, 06:34 AM »
Just never had any luck with a tip up on cold lake. But I still try every year.
Have to build something that will make it move up and down.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Using tip ups I use a gray shiner , or better a live smelt caught the night before / from the same lake.2-3 feet off bottom. I do prefer jigging them though , just something about when a nice Lt hits and you have rod in hand.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Here's what I use - a HT Ice Rigger, with the rod holder upgraded to a Scotty base and rod holder, with the flag enlarged with orange duct tape, and with a second duct tape flag added lower on the shaft for increased visibility.  I've also added a swiveling aluminum bar to prevent the Ice Rigger from sliding down my hole.  I use a fairly beefy rod such as a Berkley Lightning and a level wind trolling reel.  I hang a baitfish about 6 inches above the bottom on a quick strike rig containing two treble hooks.  In cold weather I set the Ice Rigger on an insulated board with a slot cut in it for my line to keep my hole from icing up.

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2017, 12:50 PM »
20 lb Dacron kite line, 1/4 oz slip sinker above a barrel swivel to 10 lb fluoro leader and size 10 treble. Live smelt are best, but medium shiners and bluenose shiners are a good alternative here in upstate NY.
Pete

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:33 PM »
27lb Dacron, main line. Then a barrel swivel, 10lb fluorocarbon and a #10 treble with a split shot 18"above it. I use medium shiners. Where I fish usually as a rule 30-40ft below the ice in 100-115ft of water is a good starting point. I'm not much of a Laker Fisherman, but this seems to work well for me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:44 AM »
For the life of me I can't picture what people are doing when they say they are rigging tubes on tip-ups.. anyone got a pic or anything? I've seen it said a bunch but I always just used live bait

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:03 AM »
For the life of me I can't picture what people are doing when they say they are rigging tubes on tip-ups.. anyone got a pic or anything? I've seen it said a bunch but I always just used live bait

Maybe with a scent impregnated tube jig and a jigging/windless style tip up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:42 AM »
basically i run my tube tied to a three foot leader of flouro with a 6 inch section of sucker off the hook and just dead stick it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.