Author Topic: broodstock salmon  (Read 10414 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
broodstock salmon
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:53 PM »
i am from Massachusetts and i got a few ?s
1.how far under the ice do you put the bait
2.what size leader on tip ups
3.what kind and size bait
4. how deep of water do u fish over
i have never fished for salmon but i want to get one I'm going to fish for then this week and any other info would be awesome thanks so much

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: broodstock salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:01 PM »
1- 5-10'
2- I use 6lb test monofilament, 8 foot leader.
3- Icecicles, which are just medium (3-4") minnows, or if you can, smelt.
4- I like to find fairly deep water over flats that are near weeds. It varies from lake to lake. I've caught salmon caught in water anywhere from 15 to 150 feet deep.

Also, try to use fairly small hooks, like a size 14 treble hook. And just be quiet, and get to your flags quickly, as salmon take line quickly, and sometimes spit the bait.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:54 PM »
3'-6' under ice, 10' 4#test,sm shiners like a bic lighter or smaller i like 20' to 40' near points (on land) islands and steep drop offs.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:28 AM »
What are they feeding on that close to the ice?  There's no lakes around me that have salmon, but it sounds like it'd be a blast to hook up w/ one of these critters

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:29 PM »
look in the massechusetts fourum there was a 20lber caught awsome fish

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:47 PM »
What are they feeding on that close to the ice?  There's no lakes around me that have salmon, but it sounds like it'd be a blast to hook up w/ one of these critters

If present, usually smelt.

Offline kismet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:06 PM »
it all depends on the fish i fish for them atleast 5 days a week i use 50 fire line size 4 hooks med size bait anywhere from 1 to 4 inches.the depth to fish is 12 inches below the ice to 10 feet but not uncommon to get one down 30 feet.i find deep flats drop offs and rocky points produce them try the shore line lot caught threw the years 10 feet or closer to the shore in 2 to 6 of water

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2007, 05:55 PM »
bassboy, i'm wondering the same thing. goin out tommorow and i'm tryin a few different techniques. you'll proly see me post in the mass board again

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:18 AM »

#1 barley under like theyve been saying 3-6 but flukes happen (my first was about 15 ft down in about 40 ft of water)
#2 most use a 3-5 ft leader
#3 anything from 1 in to 3 in nothing bigger for the most part alot of the ones pulled out  spit up alot fish less than a half in (big bait my @$$)
#4 yes the drop offs are good but dont limit yourself to just them i say if its 3 ft deep its fishable i didnt get a single one in the deep last year just at the shoreline, even when i was fishing the drops not to many will tell u to use the shoreline i always have 2 traps close
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Same as every1 else says...Ive had my best luck over rocks 8-12 feet of water fishing 2-3 feet under the ice! :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.