Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1637462 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #25710 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:52 AM »
masoneddie - I'll be taking it out on the coyotes. I shot one opening day with the shotgun, and saw several more from my stand. I thought I was gonna pop a second on Friday, but he never quite got in range.

Just gonna sit in the deer stand with a rifle and call to get them thinned out over the winter. It's never a good sign when you're seeing way more coyotes than deer on your deer ground  :'(

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25711 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:00 AM »
Eddie......Happy Birthday to Baby Ryan :clap: :clap:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

h2l...Congrats on a good night with the pins :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25712 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:33 AM »

24 incher.

Northville, NY

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25713 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Marv Lookie there, I scared that deer all the way to NY ???
Bud

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25714 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:12 AM »
    Good Morning ER's   Happy Birthday to Ryan  Eddie. Freezing temps here for next 72 hours. Drifter nice pics of the big plane. Antarctica has pic of total eclipse before during,after. Tom hope your recovery is going well and is speedy. Daughter is now finished with dance recitals. Honors program, graduation and 2 moves to go.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25715 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Good morning 45 degrees heading to sixty rain overnight and weather guessers calling for more showers this afternoon and evening. Tomorrow through Friday temperatures are forecast to be more seasonal before warming up on Saturday. I see former senator Bob Dole passed away at the age of 98 another member of the Greatest generation lost.
Zcm-28 to bad you were not able to harvest a deer this year best to you in pursuing the rabbits.
Eddie good to hear Cody has made a rebound. Please pass my Birthday greetings for young Ryan onto your niece 4 years old already the years go by to fast. Good to read no major shortage of staff at your Mom's nursing home yet for this latest round of Covid.
Ice Wanderer to my knowledge Stewart airport was a U.S. Air Force base during your time at NYMA believe it was in the late 1980's or early 1990's the NY. Air national Guard moved their operations to Stewart from an airport in Westchester county. Going by what i see posted here on I.S. and weekly outdoors column in my local newspaper looks like it is a hard season for many deer hunters. It will be interesting to see this year harvest numbers when the DEC releases them and how they compare to the five previous seasons.
Wallyworld glad you found all the baking items on your list. Good looking venison jerky.
Whopper Stopper good to read everything was fine at the shack and you found a tree for Christmas. Seeing the temperatures in your area the wood stove must be in use so if the tree is in same room remember to water it frequently so it makes it to Christmas day. When my parents were alive my dad always did the lights then asked for our opinions on how they looked seemed like every year he thought one part of the tree was a little darker then the rest and needed more lights.
Fish/Hunt4ever congrats to your wife on having the Christmas shopping completed and presents wrapped already. Nice looking perch mount your coworker did a good job glad you were able to get the mount from your buddy's wife.
Hunts2long congratulations to you and your teammates on a good night of bowling looks like it maybe a tight battle this year to finish in first place. thank you for posting a photo of the deer with 24 inch antler spread. May you have better result next deer season.
Drifter may you be feeling better thank you for the links to photos and video of the cargo plane.  Little surprised the South Korean government sent a military attack helicopter to your area for cold weather/Winter testing I thought they would due testing in their own country. Good to read the yellow Knife area will see an economic boost from the testing.
Old Goat congratulations to your daughter on her up coming graduation.

Have a good day.
 Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25716 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Whopper Stopper good to read everything was fine at the shack and you found a tree for Christmas. Seeing the temperatures in your area the wood stove must be in use so if the tree is in same room remember to water it frequently so it makes it to Christmas day. When my parents were alive my dad always did the lights then asked for our opinions on how they looked seemed like every year he thought one part of the tree was a little darker then the rest and needed more lights.

We try not to load the stove too heavy, but even then we need to give it about 3 quarts a day.

We usually try to buy Frazer Fir as their needles hang on the longest.

h2l......Beautiful buck thanks for sharing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25717 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Whopper Stopper sounds like you have a  system to keep your tree green and looking good until Christmas. I'm sure  being a tree surgeon you have the knowledge to keep a tree healthy.
 Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #25718 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:16 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                        Today is Pearl Harbor Day, Let us remember all the lives lost in that horrific attack on American forces that got us
             in to WWll in the Pacific. :(
                        It's 28* and very windy here on my hill, with a dusting of snow. We're getting the seesaw weather patterns again.  ::)
                        Eddie.........A Happy Belated Birthday to Ryan.
                        Zcm..........The coyote problem is getting bad everywhere. :cookoo: My BIL hunts them over in Vermont. :thumbsup:
                        Marv.........It's important to keep the tree hydrated to keep them green and keep the needles from falling off. :flex: I didn't know
            That about the Frazer Fir. :whistle:
                        H2l...........That's an awesome buck. :clap: Congratulation to your bowling team. :clap:
                        Wally.........I'm sure you will get in to the swing of baking, you are really good at it.  :flex: What else are you going to do till the hardwater
            season starts. :roflmao:
                        Steve..........You're right, it was an Airforce Base back then. thank you for reminding me. :thumbsup:
                        Tom...........I hope you are feeling better sir. :thumbsup:
                        Dave..........That sure ws a lot of sleeping hours, I don't think I've ever been that tired. :unsure:
                        Fish............I hope you receive the much needed snow. :blink: Did you hear that the big island of Hawaii got over a foot of snow on it's two highest peaks. :o
                        Today I might go and scope out a Christmas tree on some land that I've gotten trees before, then when my wife gets home, Tomorrow we
            can go get it, if it's to her liking. Other than that we'll go to a local tree farm.
                        I hope everyone has a good Tuesday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #25719 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:06 AM »
Good Morning Jeff, Morning Everyone,
  Windy and 29*, might see some snow showers passing through this am, high of 33.

Jeff…good luck with the tree hunting, hope you find a winner!   :thumbsup:  Thanks for the reminder of Pearl Harbor Day.. :bow:
  Wally…that was a fine looking batch of jerky you had going into the dehydrator, yum!! Sure there is no need to ask, but how did it turn out?  ;D  :thumbsup: 
Agreed, it’s amazing how fast 4 years has passed…
  H2…congratulations to you and the team on the sweep, well done! Thanks for sharing the picture of the buck, that’s a slammer!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  Z…good luck thinning down the coyotes, they sure have grown in numbers here as well.  :thumbsup:
  Bud… :roflmao:  you put a hell of a drive on for that young man! How’s everything going at the new homestead?
  OG…excellent news on your daughter!  :clap:  :thumbsup:  See some cold weather out there, will be looking forward to your trips soon!
  Steve…so far so good with the staff and still and no restrictions placed on visitation as of yet, hopefully it continues on that path.  :thumbsup: 
  Marv…what’s on the planner today for you Sir? Hope those lakes are tightening up now!   :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes for Ryan, passed them on last evening!   :thumbsup:
  Not a heck of a lot on the planner this morning, still have some ice gear to through and get ready. Cody is still making a little progress, hopefully that will continue…thank you all for the kind words.   :thumbsup:   Cawfee’s on…
  Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25720 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:10 AM »
  Good morning ER's 6* here first ice went caput looks like 2nd first ice might end up the same as warmer weather will be moving in and hanging around till Christmas. Yuck

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25721 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:33 AM »
Morning all, 13° and cloudy here, forecast high of 27.

A week like this and we'd be in business... unfortunately it's supposed to be 60 on Friday and in the 50s next week >:(

Looking like a mid-January first ice kind of year around here this season.

IW - I've shot more coyotes than deer during deer season over the past 10-ish years. They've gotten thick.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25722 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:35 AM »
Good morning IW, Eddie! Good morning everyone :bow:

8 degrees to start the morning. It will warm up as the day goes on, may see mid 20's by days end. There are talks of mid 30's by Sunday. We have snow moving in, in about an hour. Hopefully it will peter out.

IW.....I should have said of what we had to pick from the Frazer held the needles the best. It's hard to beat a Balsam for needle retention. Like you said the main thing is hydration.

Eddie....The word to add to your vocabulary is puttering :roflmao: It counts as an action word to boot :thumbsup:

WW....You reminded me we have a dehydrator someplace. Good looking batch of jerky  :clap:

I have a couple of things on the planner today. I need to put the chains on the 4wheeler. I am taking my truck in at 11:30 for a tire rotation, and on the way home I'm going to see what's going with the lake ice.

Good morning Z, OG!

Hope you all have a good day :thumbsup: Stay safe and keep healthy

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25723 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Morning all,

Eddie.....glad to hear Cody continues to improve   :clap:

IW.....good luck tree hunting, safe travels to MrsIW  :thumbsup:

H2L....thanks for sharing the pic, conrats to you and the team  :flex:

WS.....have you gotten all your spearing gear dusted off yet  ???

Z....always getting shots of coyotes on the trail cams behind the house  >:(

Drifter/TT.....hope you're both feeling better  ;)

A moment of silence for all those lost in Pearl Harbor  :'(

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Morning WS.....love my dehydrator, put it out in the garage while in use as the jerky smells like a boy's locker room in the middle of summer  :sick: :whistle:

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25724 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:44 AM »
WS.....have you gotten all your spearing gear dusted off yet  ???

Pretty much. Most of my time is spent angling, and I have most of that ready.

Today my wife is working from the jungle. I may bring my spear in and do some practice throwing  :flex:

WS

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25725 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:59 AM »
29* and it was windy overnight.
It must have been a good year for some nice bucks being killed but most hunters are saying they saw very few deer.
IW, good luck with the tree. I have been told that our tree is being tossed after this year, after more than 10/12 years. I told them they better wait to see what a new tree will cost. They tell me it doesn't look like it use to. If you cut one every year they all look different.
Have a good day and stay well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25726 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:50 AM »

Today my wife is working from the jungle. I may bring my spear in and do some practice throwing  :flex:

WS
Oh boy, not seeing anything good coming from this  :nono: ::) :whistle: :blink: :pinch: :roflmao:

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25727 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Talk about being in the dog house. I told the BOSS that I was going to figure out how to mount an O2 tank to the snowblower so I could blow the 2 inches of snow off of the drive that came down yesterday. Some of the schools are closed today due to the road conditions. What are they going to do if we get real snow?

The Sweet Adelines from Grand Rapids are in Hawaii to sing at one of the memorials today. Quite an honor for them. I became good friends with a Pearl Harbor survivor. I do not remember what ship he was on but they were able to get underway so they did not get sunk.

IW I am not feeling that bad just weak. I use my walker to get around to be on the safe side.

Ws We need video of you practice throwing your spear. It will be interesting to see what the target is.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25728 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Jeff, yes I have another reason to remember December 7th, was also day of my oldest sisters passing.  My second mother I used to call her.

OG I was afraid that may be the case.  Only skim ice then gone again.  And from the sounds of it further north got snow on top of what little ice has formed, before getting much of a thickness.  Might have to wait till after xmas before finding good fishable ice here in southern zone.

WW well, lets hope the practice tosses don't wind up in say the bathroom door  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Kind of a cold day for a contractor to come calling,  I have requested a price of a concrete slab that would be necessary to have a garage built.  I'm sure they wouldn't pass on the chance of getting work.

Eddie to answer your question, well lets say I have most all the necessary things in place to carry on every day functions about the house.

Now my coffee awaits me.   Good day all.
Bud

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25729 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Well just a skiff of snow but the temps never got above 32 yesterday that I seen, I know out by the lake around noon it was 12 above so that should get some things started, at least cool the water down a bit to make sure these long nights get the lake capped in the next week.  My buddy is out the last week of the month so hopefully there will be some ice that we can stand on and fish together for a bit.  Better get back to work so I can go spend that hard earned money to the game and fish for my seining tag and dealers license this afternoon.   Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25730 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:56 AM »
We finally saw snow yesterday- barely enough to make the ground white, and gone by evening. Supposed to hit 50 again today. On the good side, they cleared the landslide blocking the road to the lake, so now all we are lacking is some ice. It has tried to skim over, but the wind keeps breaking it up and piling it on shore. Pretty much ready for Christmas, just the wife to buy for. I wonder how she would like a new Garmin Livescope?

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25731 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Thought I would share an article, a little history on yours truely.

Safety on the Ice, Lessons from a Survivor
A story and advice about ice fishing safety
by: John Stevens
Published 01.08.14 on FishExplorer.com

This article is about Fish Explorer member Bud Everson, his fishing partner Howie, and an unforgettable trip to the ice at Chatfield Reservoir.

The day started for them at the ponds south of Chatfield reservoir, and then they hit up a potential honey hole in the Kingfisher area of the lake.  The thought was there might be some giant fish trapped in Kingfisher cove due to the summer flooding and subsequent drop to normal water levels.

They parked, looked over the ice and ventured out.  Initially, they were on ice that had been previously fished, as there was evidence of holes having been drilled.  Bud stopped, drilled a six-inch hole and checked the thickness.  It was five inches, but looked a little strange to him.  It looked almost as if there were two separate and distinct layers to the ice, where it had thawed a little in the heat of day and frozen a new layer of snow and ice over the top. But it seemed safe enough so they ventured further out.

By now, they were beyond the previously fished holes and realized there was no evidence of anyone else being out there. They headed towards the center of the cove, hopefully to thicker ice.  Howie and Bud stopped and agreed they just didn't feel good about it.  Bud turned, picked up his drill, took two steps to the side, and on the second step heard and felt the sound of the ice giving way.

Falling through, Bud instinctively spread his arms, grasped the edges of the ice and prevented himself from going totally under.  He reached into his shirt pocket to grab his picks and stuck them into the ice to hang on. While he hung there, he released one hand, and started shoving chunks of the broken ice back under the edge of the ice, to get it out of his way and stabilize the weakened ice.

Upon hearing and seeing Bud break through, Howie grabbed Bud's sled, turned it around and pushed it over for him to grab with his hand.  Holding the rope and giving a tug, Howie himself broke through. Howie quickly crawled back onto the ice and headed to the shore.  He saw some passersby and asked that they call 9-1-1. They did so as Howie ran back to the safety rescue rope and tire at the beach.  Grabbing the rope he realized that it was too far for him to effectively throw it to Bud, so he went back out on the ice to get closer.  However, the added weight of his water logged clothes made him fall through yet again; this time much closer to shore.  Pulling himself out once again, Howie realized there was just no way for him to rescue Bud by himself.

He called out to Bud to hold on and that help was on the way.  Upon seeing Howie break through not once, but twice, Bud thought to himself that he couldn’t panic, that hypothermia was setting in, that he needed to control his breathing and reserve his strength. He knew he only had one or possibly two more shots at pulling himself out.  He could hear the sirens in the distance coming closer, and soon the first park ranger was on site taking command of the situation.

The ranger tried to get to Bud, but he too fell through, and the dive team was sent out.  The dive team eventually succeeded in getting to Bud, securing him with a rope around his torso, and yanked him to safety.  According to Bud, the ranger said that judging by the 9-1-1 logbooks, Bud had been in the water for 45 minutes.

They gave first aide to both Bud and Howie and transported them both to the emergency room for treatment of hypothermia and other related things. Having been in the water the longest, Bud was in the most serious shape.  His core temperature was in the 80's, which is really low.  It is truly a miracle that he didn't suffer a heart attack or lose consciousness out in the water.

The head ranger came to see Bud in the emergency room afterward and thanked Bud for making his job easier by having his safety equipment on him, and equally important knowing how to use it.

Why am I relating this story to you?  Bud and Howie are survivors of an extraordinary fall through the ice.  Bud expressed his desire that everyone should learn from the mistakes that were made that day, and that his story serve as a lesson to all who ice fish that there is no such thing as safe ice.

Now, we will break down what was done correctly, what mistakes that were made, and what should have been done that would have possibly affected this story.  We will also go over a short list of safety items important to know and have.

WHAT WAS DONE CORRECTLY?
Bud and Howie fished the early ice together, as buddies.  It is always a good decision when ice fishing to go with a group or at the least a buddy in case something happens.
They both carried their ice picks on them to use to crawl back onto the ice in case an event happened, and equally important they had both watched videos and knew how to use them.
When Bud broke through, Howie tried to use Bud's sled as a rescue device, extending his reach to Bud without putting himself into danger.  However, in this case, the ice was too compromised for that to be effective.
When faced with the situation, Bud did not panic. He remained calm, cool, and collected and recalled all of the safety instruction he knew about falling in icy water.

Ice Picks, in this case they were worn around their necks, in the excitement, running to get a throw ring Howie had lost his, When Bud, see him break through the second time he began coaching Howie.  That he should extend his arms as far as possible, on the ice, kick his feet to become horizontal.  Then with a side stroke with his arms (like a seals) swinging motion propel himself up on the ice, roll away, and crawl back to shore.

NOW LET'S LOOK AT WHAT WENT WRONG
Bud realizes that looking back on it, he and Howie were much too close together.  His estimation was around six to eight feet apart.

When Bud first heard a funny cracking sound, he thought it was two layers of the ice moving, but instead it was the ice settling and sagging before breaking.

They had ventured onto an area of the ice not fished before, without prior knowledge of the water, whether there may have been springs nearby, flowing water, or other anomalies that could affect the ice condition and thickness.

They did not use a spud bar to test the ice, as they were moving out upon it.

They had not seen the lake daily, did not know where the ice had capped first, how the winds had blown recently, and where currents flowed, They did not have an idea how the ice laid exactly.

They had no real idea of the routes that previous fisherman had used getting on and off the ice. After drilling their test holes, they should have stopped when they felt uneasy with what they were seeing in the ice. But 65 years on the ice without incident had made Bud complacent and too reliant on his own judgment to properly assess the dangers.

Spud Bar,
In talking with Bud, we went over several items of safety for others out on the ice as a result of this incident.  Here are Bud's thoughts on this based on 65 years of ice fishing.

1. Always ice fish with a buddy.  You never know when help might be needed. In the event that one of you falls through, your partner should FIRST CALL 9-1-1 to report it and activate emergency response.  This can shave minutes off the rescue. Do this before attempting to help your partner who has broken through.

2. Always carry your ice picks whether you are going out to just check the ice, or for a day of fishing.

3. Watch videos on ice safety, take a class such as Nate Zelinski's ice fishing school on how to get out of the water if you fall through, and learn how to use your safety items.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=icesafety+videos&view=detail&mid=EB76E0082527F04FFC1DEB76E0082527F04FFC1D&FORM=VIRE

4. Carry a PFD on your sled.  Whether it’s a throwable cushion with a rope attached, or even a five-gallon bucket with a lid attached that can be used as a PFD in an emergency.

5. Most sleds have two holes in them to mount the towrope.  Take and put eyebolts in those holes and attach clips to your rope to attach it to a sled.  That way, if the situation arises, you can unclip the rope and attach it to the PFD to throw out to someone in need.

6. Take your time when going out on the ice.  It’s not a race to get out there.  Observe the conditions, the cracks, and the lay of the land, so to speak.  If you see cracks, new or re-frozen, observe them, and determine whether the surrounding ice is stable or not.

Ice Ridge, courtesy Colorado Parks and Wildlife
7. You can use your sled as a bridge, to distribute your weight more evenly on the ice if you find yourself in a dangerous situation.

8. ALWAYS wear a PFD. Inflatable, regular, or even one of the brands of floating ice suits on the market.  They are expensive, but are they really not expensive when weighed with the cost of your life?

9. Never carry your car keys in your jeans pockets.  When you do get out of the water, your first need is to get out of your wet clothes and get warm.  Pockets will freeze shut, zippers won't work, etc.  Keep a spare set of keys on the car or around your neck for quick and ready access.

10. ALWAYS carry a spare set of clothes in your vehicle to change into in the event that you fall through.

11. Always carry and use a spud bar to check the ice thickness as you are walking out on the ice.

12. Check the local conditions of the water before going.  Fish Explorer is an excellent place to do this.  Check forum posts and more importantly lake conditions reports found on the lake pages for potential dangers before going.

13. Discuss with your buddy the plan if something should happen. Where your vehicle keys are, share local ranger numbers, etc.

14. Learn to read the ice through watching videos, talking with experienced ice anglers, and using common sense.  Last but not least, is water proof your cell phone if your carrying one. IE: Ziploc bag.

Here are some helpful videos on ice safety: Minnesota has an excellent one

How to use ice picks to self rescue or get onto the ice, is another one. Especially for beginners to ice fishing.

Basic Ice Safety and equipment and how to use it

Testing the ice safety for walking

Ice Thickness Rule of Thumb, courtesy Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Thankfully my friends, this incident turned out well in the end.  I shudder to think of the loss of my good friend had things turned out differently.

Ice fishing is a fun, enjoyable part of fishing that gives every angler an opportunity to fish parts of a lake they may not otherwise be able to. It is fun, and can remain enjoyable if we all, first and foremost, take the time to learn about ice safety.
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25732 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Badger wishful thinking, good luck with that.  :roflmao:

My Apologies for posting such a long read. Guess that's proof on how dangerous I can be.  ;)  It didn't turn out as I thought it would. So if its not acceptable, Maybe Dom will take it down.
Bud

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25733 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:05 AM »
IFF No need to appoligise. If your post saves someone from going through what happened it is well worth it.

WW I have the same dehydrator as you do. I have not used it in a long time as I bought one of the big ones with fiberglass screens dirt cheap on eBay. The seller did not clean the screens after it looked like they dried tomatoes. I gambled that I could clean the screens which I did. I have not made venison jerky in years as I love venison to much to cover the taste with jerk. I buy cheap turkey breast as no matter what the meat it the only difference in jerky is the texture of the meat used. I sent a friend's son a batch of turkey jerky a couple of times when he was in Iraq.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25734 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Bud, I'm with Tom on your post!! This is a MUST READ for all ice fisherman!!! :thumbsup: :flex: :bow: :icefish:
OS
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25735 on: Dec 07, 2021, 11:38 AM »
It should be pinned

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25736 on: Dec 07, 2021, 11:46 AM »
IFF.....thank you for sharing such a personal story  :bow: you'll never know how much you may have helped save someone's life  :clap: and Thank God you lived to fish another day  :thumbsup:

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #25737 on: Dec 07, 2021, 01:35 PM »
   :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:     Bud….I don’t believe I could say it any better than what’s been said here…all the bases are covered! No need to apologize, a Must Read, it should be pinned, sharing such a personal story, helping save someone’s life, and Thank God you lived to fish another day…THANK YOU for sharing that amazing story here with us!!!  :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #25738 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Bud......Like everyone else, it is a good read and should be saved on IS so everyone can read what Ice safety is about. I am glad that you recovered to share your experience with us all.
   Thank you Bud,. I'm sure everyone will remember this story going out on their first ice trip of the season.

IW

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25739 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Got a couple errands done, registered my pickup, ouch $550.50, at least next year not so bad to renew at $105

Another thought is to pass along another "first Ice" tip, in todays world of cell phones I don't think it was mentioned in the article.  Carry your cell phone in something that would protect if from getting wet and toasting it, so you can't make that emergency call.  Even a zip lock bag would have afforded the chance to call out.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.