Author Topic: Big Buddy Heater keeps turning Off  (Read 65717 times)

Offline Mooselaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Buddy Heater keeps turning Off
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Hey I have a Big Buddy Heater which created some trouble last time out on the ice. It kept shutting of. Has anyone else experienced it before? I have it hooked up to a 20 lbs tank which was more than half full, had it checked at co-op in Selkirk. I kept igniting it, it worked than for a few minutes, than it made a clicking sound and turned off. It didn't matter if I had it on Low, Medium or High Power. Plus I was in my tent, so there was no wind that could have turned it off. I used it all last winter too, never experiened anything like that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline Icedrillinen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Buddy Heater keeps turning Off
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:01 PM »
You may have tried all of this but if not, Double check all your connections are not sticking and that they are open for the gas to run freely.  Also the heater has to be on a level ground. Hope this will help you.

Offline Icetester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Put some alcohol on a q tip and carefully push it thru the pilot hole. I break the q tip down a little because it's just a bit too much cotton and causes the q tip to get jammed. You are basically looking to clean it out. I usually spin the q tip as I push it thru and out again. This has always fixed the problem.

It's probably not the name " pilot hole" but where the flames comes out, I think you get my drift.

Offline Icedrillinen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Good to know, I will keep that in mind for my heater as well.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:23 PM »
You must have a filter with a large tank ..or the replacement hose that does not require a filter (cost a lil more ) regular hoses break down and the oils muck up the regulators an fuel lines . Lota video on youtube on how to clean them ....no dollar store platic bodied q tips ...the heads fall off ...and a real pain to get out . also make sure you clean/clear the low oxigen sensor .Good luck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mooselaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Thanks guys. I will try all your suggestions :)

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I'd get the proper hose but are you sure the heater is level? You might be tripping the tip over switch if its not.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:24 PM »
If you have the tent zipped up tight with no vents open, you could be burning enough oxygen for the safety to shut it off. Doyou poen the valve all the way?
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline Mooselaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Yes I did make sure that the heater was level, and yes I always open the valve up all the way.

Offline fishinfirefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:40 AM »
If you have the tent zipped up tight with no vents open, you could be burning enough oxygen for the safety to shut it off. Doyou poen the valve all the way?

x2 on the CO sensor.
If you don't have the tent vented properly and the CO levels get up to high the heater will shut itself off.

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:57 AM »
sounds like low oxygen level in tent.crack a door open once in awhile to refresh your level,even with those vents in the tent not enough.

Offline Bowkes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:20 PM »
sounds like low oxygen level in tent.crack a door open once in awhile to refresh your level,even with those vents in the tent not enough.

Second this statement, was having the exact same issue last year, opened the tent quickly every 30 minutes to let some air in an it wouldnt randomly shut off.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:30 PM »
First, I would make darn sure you have enough fresh air.

I Had a similar situation with an HWT in an RV. Ended up being the propane tank. Had it purged and refilled and it was fine.

Here is a video about the Mr Buddy that may give you some hints as to your issue:

Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline ungulate72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:43 PM »
I was having the same problem - buddy heater had a hard time getting started, then would shut off after ~20 seconds with a "click".  This suggestion of cleaning the "pilot hole" with qtip-alcohol totally worked, and now its running perfect.  Thanks so much for this suggestion!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 11:57 PM »
Some times the flame proving devise..  gets sooted up and we all know soot is a insulator to heat..  so the devise shuts off .. basically a flame proofing devise has freon in it basically a bulb that open the gas valve by freon pressure on these units .. the freon heats up with the piolt flame and expands pushing the valve open.. ok? The sooty flame proving devise  would be across from the pilot  orfice were the pilot flame can hit it .. looks like a  little ballon. What you can do is carefully scrape the edge with a pocket knife..  if you use sand paper the glass in the paper some time sticks and melts to the the ballon surface. .  all that is needed is a real light scraping motion with the pocket knife to remove the soot..  really no pressure.. after done restart it see if it works?? This is if the orfice tube is not sooty and the cleaning icetester decribed earlier does not work try the above??

Offline Icenflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:41 PM »
+1 for the cleaning being the fix. Mine did the same. Using cheaper propane tank hook up hoses leads to this. Buddy made brand hoses are better and keeping orifices in the heater clean.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:18 PM »
i moved the flame sensor closer to the pilot flame. the bracket holding the sensor will allow for this. the heater is a hassle to take apart. i still want to make a bart pilot flame guard.

i noticed the colder it is, the longer you need to hold the pilot knob down before trying to ignite the pilot.

ungulate72, thanks for joining us! strong first post.

Offline Itried

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:02 PM »
Here’s the real fix

[/youtube]

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Thank you!

Fabulous video.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Ahh im sbout ready to pull out and do battle with the buddy heaters and go try to get them to light after setting all year.things dont want to light when it gets real cold and thats when i need them.so unreliable for a icefishing heater.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2020, 12:45 PM »
One tip guys: Blow out the ceramic heat element with yer air compressor every year. Amazing the crud that collects in there, and will keep it from "taking off". I clean my thermocouple every year with a Q-tip and alcohol, lightly polish with emery cloth if needed, blow out the cermamic element, and in 15 yrs never had an issue. In fact, fired up both yday to heat garage, and heated like a charm!   :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Sunflower...mic drop.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Good Video and tip ..filter and proper hose should be part of the Big Buddy tips also

&pbjreload=101
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Itried

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Here is the real fix

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Here is the real fix

Well done!
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline OwlSeeingI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2024, 09:39 AM »
THANK YOU! This is what worked for my Big Buddy. By the look of the swabs it definitely needed a cleaning but going light on the tank valve, as depicted in the video, is what made my heater stay lit, on the first try. This had caused me some frustration on more than one occasion, so to have that weight lifted is a beautiful thing. Cheers-

Here’s the real fix

[/youtube]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.