Author Topic: Jacks or lakers in the smoker?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline dcutter

• IceShanty Rookie
Jacks or lakers in the smoker?
« on: Mar 28, 2013, 02:20 PM »
I dug my smoker out of the snow and am planning on icing some monster jacks with Drifter this weekend.

Anyone tried running them through the smoker? Not sure if they will stay together. Thoughts? Recipes?

Same question with lakers. That has GOT to be some good eatin!
Si vi pacem, para bellum

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jacks or lakers in the smoker?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:34 PM »
I know the lakers will work fine.
Couldn't tell you about the jacks though.
Pike aren't high on my list of eating fish.   ;)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2013, 11:04 PM »
you're missing out drifter!  dcut, i know lots of people that smoke em around here and they are delicious.  smoked, canned, pickled, baked, boiled...doesn't really matter.

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2013, 10:46 PM »
I routinely smoke trout, whitefish and inconnu. Even tried some grayling before. I've only done pike once. If doing it again, I'd be tempted to take the skin off to cut down on slime, as I do a wet brine. I've smoked whitefish fillets without the skin and they held together fine, so I assume pike would. The smoking process tends to dry and harden lean fish.

After smoking, I vacuum seal and freeze. Then I have smoked fish whenever needed. It never tastes as good as warm off the smoker though! Throwing a previously frozen piece under the broiler for a couple minutes helps bring it back to life.

Another tip - I insulate my smoker in the winter with a cardboard box lined with newspaper. Go to the recycling depot and get a bunch of old Yellowknifers. Lay them all over the inside of a cut open box (that is big enough to fit over your smoker), keeping the newspapers whole. Layer them thick, like an inch. Lay on another piece of cardboard and put drywall screws through it all - basically making a newspaper sandwich with cardboard as the bread. Stand it up over your smoker and prop the cut edge shut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.