The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoghby ice conditions  (Read 449 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Willoghby ice conditions
« on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I am looking to go up to willoghby this afternoon and try burbot fishing. Reports early in the week looked promising but this warm weather and snow has me nervous. Did anyone go out yesterday or is anyone out today? How's the ice? Thanks

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willoghby ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:02 AM »
12"+ of black ice out a couple hundred yards in front of the boat launch...3 or 4 rigs parked next to each other yesterday when we were there and no one went thru so plenty good

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:53 AM »
i was driving all over the north end about anywhere that i wanted to go yesterday and this morning chasing the perch. eight inches of snow with some drifting here and there. nothing at all to be nervous about!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:58 AM »
anyone know how the smelt fishing is going ?
I caught one 20" cusk last night around 10:30 that had 18 smelt in its stomach !
It seems this year the bit has been alot slower and didnt know if there was an increase in smelt  ???
The smelt were pretty small so maybe their not biting that good ???
another cusk we caught had a 5" perch in its stomch , no wonder they arent biting that great !

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:09 AM »
the smelt are hit or miss this year and never know where you will find them. the bite for all fish has been extremely slow for the last couple weeks but ussually picks up again around the first of march.

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willoughby ice conditions
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I don't want to catch any smelt ( I know where I could) I was just wondering how the smelt guys were doing ....as in if they thought it was a normal or slow yr , the smelt in all the cusks stomach seemed to small to jig up so didn't know if the bite was slow for smelt and all other fish for that reason...

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Willoughby has a smelt population that is multi year. I am not sure of the life span but thinks
its 3-4 years. Every year a year class dies off and feeds the lakers and trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.