Author Topic: Anyone been out lately??  (Read 3967 times)

Offline James92

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone been out lately??
« on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Hey! Just curious if anyone has been out lately?! How's the fishin'?

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone been out lately??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2012, 11:03 PM »
I was out this past Saturday (March 10). Gorgeous day, but slow fishing. Only pulled one laker through the ice, first hole drilled. Spent the next 8 hours over 20 other hand drilled holes in 40 in of ice and nothing. Spring hasn't quite riled em up yet. Maybe this weekend. I'm hopefully heading back out.

Anyone else out this weekend? I always second guess my location on slow days. But maybe slow days are the same everywhere. I have a hard time believing the weather and barometric pressure impact fish under 2 feet of snow and 3 feet of ice, but who knows. Something sure turns em on and off.

Offline James92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:07 AM »
Good to hear you got out. The last 2 times I went out I got skunked, so I was wondering as well if it was my location or just some bad days. I'm up near Gahcho Kué now, so I hope to get some spare time to do some fishing!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I was out Saturday fishing in one of my good spots and got one up to the hole before it threw the hook.
I had 1/2 dozen other bites but they were very light and tentative and missed them all.   >:(
You're darn tooti' that weather effects fish even under 4 feet of ice. A front went through Friday and the post frontal cons. mess with the fish just as badly as during open water. I knew it would be tough fishing and scaled down to a 3" 1/4 oz white tube jig to get my bites but feeling the pickup at 90' when they are so inactive is really tough, even using braid. Without good electronics you won't even know they are there.   ;)2

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Good to know I'm not alone! Last great day of fishing I had was that Saturday it hit +4 a few weeks back. That was right after a big blow and the weather had stabilized. I iced 6 in about 90 mins. Had two on the ice before I could get a third hole drilled!

So what is your weather recipe for a great day of fishing, Drifter? Barometer falling, rising? After a front, before? Sunshine, clouds? Too bad we can't pick the weather for Saturdays and Sundays.

The fish I caught on Saturday slammed a still bait and started ripping line about 20 mins after I drilled the hole when I was standing by my second hole. Thought it might be a good day. Only had one other tap after that in about 30 feet of water. Then a whole lotta nothing.

Offline James92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:32 PM »
Right on! glad to hear of some catching going on. Unfortunately for me I came out here expecting some huge lakers.... I drilled a hole today and hit bottom after putting on 4 extensions!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Right on! glad to hear of some catching going on. Unfortunately for me I came out here expecting some huge lakers.... I drilled a hole today and hit bottom after putting on 4 extensions!

And that right there is why I use my flasher to shoot through the ice before I ever drill a hole!!!!
Too much work by this time of year to punch holes randomly.   ;)2
There are huge lakers around but like anywhere else they take some work to catch.

I haven't seen any giants yet but here is a decent one.

I've seen lots of giant pike though.   ;D

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Would Great Slave be the best bet for those "giant" pike? 
I think I have the funds now to finally put together a trip chasing gators with tip ups....I had figured on the northwest arm (eastern shoreline of the northwest arm) of Great Slave.  Would that be a good place to start?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I think I have the funds now to finally put together a trip chasing gators with tip ups....I had figured on the northwest arm (eastern shoreline of the northwest arm) of Great Slave.  Would that be a good place to start?

It is a good place to start.
I have friends that have guided there and have got their clients fish up to 53 1/2" in the area around Trout Rock Lodge during the open water season.

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Pike are like rats! I've caught many 35 inch plus in a day, open water. Never ice fished out there. I know a few on this board have. I'd look up Ragner's place to get you excited, like Drifter said. He does some winter fishing stuff, but mainly with Japanese aurora tourists I think, just to drill holes and show em what it's like.

http://www.enodah.com/

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Hell of a fish there, Drifter. Was that from your Narrow Island trip? What time of year was that? I'm spending 3 weeks in the East Arm soon housesitting. Hopefully get into some feisty spring action.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Hell of a fish there, Drifter. Was that from your Narrow Island trip? What time of year was that? I'm spending 3 weeks in the East Arm soon housesitting. Hopefully get into some feisty spring action.

Yep it was right ny Narrow Island.
Trip was last week of March-Easter Weekend in 2010.

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:59 PM »
What do you mean look up Rangers place? 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:57 PM »
What do you mean look up Rangers place?

Nope.
Ragner is the name of the fella that owns Trout Rock Lodge.

http://www.enodah.com/

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2012, 07:35 AM »

I've caught stacks of big pike in that area over the years (largest was 38lb). I mostly fish 8-20 feet of water with ciscoes for bait. we're coming up on the time of year when the big girls move in to stage for the spawn at ice out.
last time I was out I had 40lb line broken on me twice.
You'll get a few small ones too, but patience will pay off in time.
have fun.
This was last september, 49"
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I've caught stacks of big pike in that area over the years (largest was 38lb). I mostly fish 8-20 feet of water with ciscoes for bait. we're coming up on the time of year when the big girls move in to stage for the spawn at ice out.
last time I was out I had 40lb line broken on me twice.
You'll get a few small ones too, but patience will pay off in time.
have fun.
This was last september, 49"
(Image removed from quote.)

NICE!!!!
Let me know if you need a partner Oso!!!  ;)2
I'm trying to beat the 50" mark.   ;D

Offline Doop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:51 PM »
OMG  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline James92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Nice fish! no luck here yet. I don't know which lakes have fish in them, but hopefully I can get in on some of the spring action! Drifter I couldn't help but think of your comments on good electronics today and laugh out loud. The client I am currently working for wanted some bathymetry work done on one of the lakes. After about 50 or so holes and quite a few auger blades later (lots of rocks) I was wondering if a flasher would have saved some time and money! I think I'll have a talk with my boss. haha

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Nice fish! no luck here yet. I don't know which lakes have fish in them, but hopefully I can get in on some of the spring action! Drifter I couldn't help but think of your comments on good electronics today and laugh out loud. The client I am currently working for wanted some bathymetry work done on one of the lakes. After about 50 or so holes and quite a few auger blades later (lots of rocks) I was wondering if a flasher would have saved some time and money! I think I'll have a talk with my boss. haha

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!
You have fun?
LOL   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:04 PM »
Oh man, nothing like the sound of auger teeth chipping off to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I find you need to hold your tongue just right so that you don't hit rocks ....... A half twist works for me.
Kidding, hope it goes better in the future.
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline James92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2012, 06:39 PM »
haha nothing like getting paid to go fishing, damn right I was jigging for a few minutes on the deeper holes. Pretty frustrating hitting rocks I must say, and its amazing how the blades are screwed right after they hit even though they look good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.