Author Topic: Anyone else brave the winds?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone else brave the winds?
« on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:02 PM »
I was out at the camp from Friday to Monday morning. Drilled a few holes on Saturday. Nothing. Got more serious on Sunday and pulled one real nice trout through, pushing 7 lbs probably, but that was it. And that fish hit like a timid school girl. We were limited in only fishing spots in the lee of 40k gusts though. The weather wasn't helping anything. Anyone else drop a line?

Also, I ran through some nasty overflow that wasn't around last week. Can't believe it's warm enough to start that crap already. Weather cold all this week. I may head out again this weekend. Sure seems to be tons of guys out. Seen holes drilled and guys fishing all over, places I've never seen guys fish the last 4 seasons I've been around. Maybe they know something I don't.

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone else brave the winds?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:04 PM »
and...I was watching the weather closer, Drifter. No fronts were supposed to push through this weekend and barometer was fairly steady all week. The best map I could find for fronts is here. I'm not sure if they map things in good detail up this way though...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=weathermaps&pagecontent=weathermaps&maptype=sys

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:33 PM »
I use a bunch of different weather sites and sort of average them all together.   ;D
Lots more folks out fishing this year because of the warmer than usual winter.
Was talking to a friend at CT yesterday and he said they usually sell a bunch of ice fishing gear in December and March/April with January and February being dead. But this year they sold a bunch in January and February as well.
Might try for some whitefish Friday afternoon and possibly some pike on Saturday.

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Tell 'em to go to Prosperous and Prelude! Lots of guys just out burning fuel too. Donuts in all the bays, guys chasing powder. Seems they would have more important things to be doing. Guess we need some harder temps to keep out the riff raff. Ok, I'll stop ranting.

Good luck if you head out. I checked my pics, last year we pulled our tent on March 20th because the ice road portages were basically melted out. Crazy. I heard the mines are about done running trucks. Got all the loads done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.