Author Topic: how do they taste?  (Read 11225 times)

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
how do they taste?
« on: Nov 29, 2011, 05:08 PM »
just wondering, how do these fish taste?
i have only ever caught one in my life fishing for lake trout. the one i did catch was maybe 3 lbs on the heavy side of an estimate and i threw it to a hawk that was perched on a rock 20 feet away.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
Re: how do they taste?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2011, 05:14 PM »
What kind of fish?

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2011, 05:15 PM »
burbot

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Ah I just looked where the thread is located and gave myself a face palm. I have only had Burbot one and it was pretty good. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:02 PM »
They taste great!!!
If you have even gone to the fish and chips shop and had cod, it tastes just like it. 
Dang!!! Now I'm hungry!!!            

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:04 PM »
They taste great!!!
If you have even gone to the fish and chips shop and had cod, it tastes just like it. 
Dang!!! Now I'm hungry!!!            

nice. they will be on my eat list this year.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:19 PM »
they call it poor mans lobster around here

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:32 AM »
Tastes like cod to me.   ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Had some deep fried last night for supper and it was great as always. Leftovers cold today for lunch wasn't too shabby either.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2011, 01:27 PM »
They are slimey devils, like a snake the way they wrap around your arm. But  :%$#!:, do they taste good!! I knew them as eelpout when I lived in Minnesota. :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011, 01:34 PM »
I say cod too.

You do clean them alittle differently, probably don't want to try doing it like a Walleye.

You need three items to clean one, a nail (I guess a hammer would help too), pliers (two is better then one), and your fillet knife.

Just cut all the way around the fish behind the pectoral fin, then nail it to a board or the ice through its head, then using your pliers pull the skin back like a sock, the meat is on the back (like a loin on a deer) above the ribs, just slice it off. Not much meat but its good.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I say cod too.

You do clean them alittle differently, probably don't want to try doing it like a Walleye.

You need three items to clean one, a nail (I guess a hammer would help too), pliers (two is better then one), and your fillet knife.

Just cut all the way around the fish behind the pectoral fin, then nail it to a board or the ice through its head, then using your pliers pull the skin back like a sock, the meat is on the back (like a loin on a deer) above the ribs, just slice it off. Not much meat but its good.
cleaning them sounds like a chore. they must have thick skin if you need pliers.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I've never even seen one cause we don't have them here but it sounds like cleaning a catfish. Is there red and grey meat on them or is it all white flesh?

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:49 PM »
cleaning them sounds like a chore. they must have thick skin if you need pliers.

Less work than a walleye, far less work then a pike. The pliers are to get a grip to pull the skin, unless you have good finger nails............

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I've never even seen one cause we don't have them here but it sounds like cleaning a catfish. Is there red and grey meat on them or is it all white flesh?

Yep, you skin 'em like a catfish.
Meat is white and uber tasty.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:25 AM »

There is some dark meat on them too.  Kind of about the same areas as catfish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline theburbotking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I think they taste excellent.  They are definitely more oily and rich than most white (flaky) fish like walleye and perch, etc.
They also have a hint of a sweet taste, that you get from lobster, shrimp, crab, etc.  Something you can't find in most freshwater fish.

Easy to clean too.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:42 PM »

Their skin is pretty tough, but that makes cleaning all that much easier.  The skin is strong enough that it stays intact when you are pulling on it.  If you cut through it all of the way around, and then grip it with the pliers and pull toward the tail, the skin starts to pull inside-out like a sock.  Sometimes it takes a bit of guidance at the beginning by pulling it back in different places around the fish, but once it gets going you can just pull it right back.  Then all you need is a small fillet knife to cut the meat from the bones.  Cut it into pieces, then boil it in some water with a little sugar in it (it doesn't take long, boil until they start to float), then dip it in melted butter.  Poor man's lobster right there.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline IceRookie44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Just used the pliers technique. Worked great!

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:14 PM »
And nice video about skinning:

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:18 PM »
lol that vid is crazy. looks easy enough

Offline bentrodbliss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:25 AM »
If you are into eating whitefish livers, the eelpout livers are also very big and tasty.  Roll them in flour and salt and pepper and fry in butter/oil.  Excellent!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:25 PM »
You guys have me curious. I'll be keeping the next couple to try out. I tossed mine back thinking they were a cool fish and I didn't know how to clean them. Sounds like how I clean catfish/bullhead

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:46 PM »
once you get the hang of it doesn't take much longer to clean a burbot than it does a walleye.  just be sure and skin them when they're thawed out or you'll waste some meat.  then reap the delicious rewards...

Offline NovaCovah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 AM »
They taste great, I enjoy them fried or broiled with butter and crushed ritz crackers.  Here in Gloucester, Massachusetts where the old yankees are fish snobs as the Gloucester fleet traditionally landed cod, haddock, halibut and such - the people I have served it to say it's the best fresh water fish they have ever eaten.  Granted, they are fish snobs - so take it for what it is worth...I myself like walleye or crappie better but that's just me.  I have gone specifically for them in NH just for something different to do.  In MA you can't keep them.  I read an article about them in the NY Conservationist Magazine that the old timers on the Finger Lakes used to make wind blocks out of them, they were missing out on some good meals.  Cook some, you'll be glad you did.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:51 PM »
How does the firmness of the meat compare to other fish?  I like bluegill, perch, and walleye, but am not a huge crappie fan because the crappies are more mushy.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Burbot generally tend to be a lightly colored and flaky, but a bit more chewy than pike, walleye, trout or perch.
In the opinion of my family and I they are the best eating of all the fish in my area. :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Thanks - We don't have any burbot around these parts, but good to know!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.