Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Eelpout

Best Burbot Lure/Bait

<< < (11/13) > >>

trundog:
I accidentally caught my first eelpout ever last Sunday, I was fishing a small silver puppet minnow with a minnow head for perch.  He was just over 22" He gave my light action pole and 3 pound test line a long workout, there is a lot to be said for a reel with good drag.

IrishnId:
I use a large glow swedish pimple with 1/4" to 1/2" slice of herring, and have done well.

Yukoner:
Hi squ1rr31_

We have tried several different baits over the years, but catch far more by jigging spoons and plastics mere inches off the bottom than any other way. 

All of the really big burbot I have caught have been in less than 10 feet of water at night. This one was over 20 pounds and caught on a five inch tube jig.

Another 20+ pounder engulfed an orange and black spoon jigged barely off the bottom in about seven feet.

Not sure why, but seems most people are not aware that burbot are voracious predators that actively pursue prey.  Can't remember which one it was, but one of these fish had a partially digested 14" burbot in its stomach, and still hit the lure. 

We have caught them with whitefish, pike, and lake trout in them.  A friend of mine up here fishes for burbot by jigging the biggest spoons in his tackle box, a six inch Matrix or Williams Wabbler.

Good luck,
Ted

Water Wolf:
WOW, Yukoner / Ted, way to go. :thumbsup:
Those are some giant burbot. :o

WW

meandcuznalfy:
[quote Not sure why, but seems most people are not aware that burbot are voracious predators that actively pursue prey.  Can't remember which one it was, but one of these fish had a partially digested 14" burbot in its stomach, and still hit the lure. 

We have caught them with whitefish, pike, and lake trout in them.  A friend of mine up here fishes for burbot by jigging the biggest spoons in his tackle box, a six inch Matrix or Williams Wabbler
[/quote]

Most people think they feed off of the bottom, I caught one with a 12" trout hanging out of its mouth and still hit my jig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version