Author Topic: Just a money saving tip from a cheapy  (Read 6487 times)

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
Just a money saving tip from a cheapy
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Ever been out fishing and the bite seems to be on the color of spoon that you don't have.  This happen last year with a Swedish pimple that  was killing the crappie but no one around where I fish had the color.  I could have painted some up but if wouldn't have match the color, a prism chartruse color. 

Well my granddaughter was making some stuff for school one day and she had sheets of the exact color I needed. She bought them at a hobby store and they had sheets of a foil paper with a sticky backing.  The sheets wee 9 x 12 inches and they had just about every color you needed included some with a scale pattern.  I figured what the heck for a buck a sheet I would try some.  I cut some small squares that matched the size of the jigging spoons and pealed the back off and than a final trim with a razor blade.  Worked perfectly.  I used them all summer and the foil paper never came off, some got pretty tore up from the teeth of walleyes but never came completely off.  Just a little work with the tip of a knife blade and the foil paper came right off.  Now when I hit the ice I have a ready supply of them ready to change the color of the spoons when ever I need them.

Here's some that's is for sale on eBay but you can get them cheaper at the local hobby store:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Self-Stick-8-5x11-FOIL-PAPER-ASSTD-COLORS-U-PICK-/130431418569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=
sparky

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: Just a money saving tip from a cheapy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:48 AM »
That's a lot better price compared to the small packages of peel and stick reflective tapes offered by Luhr Jensen and others.

It's no different than buying faceted beads at the fabric shop instead of getting the lure maker's brand when making your own spinners.

You're not a cheap skate, you're thrifty!  ;)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Got2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In training by lives2fish...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:02 AM »
way to keep an eye out for improvements. I always look at the kids craft kits they get, some times they will ask "where did my pink glow beads go" :whistle: "don't know maybe you used them"  :whistle: :unsure: I say. Always looking at the stores also.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:21 AM »
I think you are on to something some times lite green will work and fire tiger will do nothing. I have been powder coating to get to where I want to be but your method sounds a lot easier.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Nice work on that one

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 09:52 AM »
Great idea, Sparky! No "cheapy" about it,  that ones a winner!  :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.