Author Topic: custom beaver dams ?  (Read 12494 times)

Offline pikefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
custom beaver dams ?
« on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:56 PM »
would like to see your custom beaver dam tip-ups just picked up some used ones and would love some idea's

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
Re: custom beaver dams ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I turned one of my old ones into a cribbage board for the shack. I'll post pics later.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline King of Mendota

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Beaver Dam made one last month when Packers won the super bowl. One is Green with Yellow flag and one is yellow with Green flag and u can get it custom engraved 31-25.

I bought one that is green with yellow flag for my limited edition collections.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I picked up a used set of six on Ebay. Just finished stripping, staining, and sealing. They are going to turn out pretty sweet. Will post pics of the finished product in about  a weeks time. The sky is the limit for customizing these tipups- Paint, stain, inlays, engraving, etc....

So many fish, so little time.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Uncle Josh now sells Beaver Dam products. They have in there catalogue The original clear tip up, Green and Gold , and a Red and red tip up. And best of all out of Fort Atkinson Wis. www.unclejosh.com  They also come now with a rubber washer around the spring to hook your hooks too, so your leader material doesn't get all twisted. Great idea!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2011, 09:59 AM »
WOW, that 50th anniversery edition trap is quite the bargain Aye ? 75 Bucks ??   :woot:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Well I finished my Beaver Dam custom project.  I searched on a bidding website for about a month and picked up a set of 6 for super cheap. Each tip-up i estimate to be between 10-20 years old. Lucky for me the moving parts were still in excellent working condition. I will break down the steps I took to customize these.

1.) Remove moving metal parts
2.) Strip off existing clearcoat, stain, and dings.
3.) Choose a stain of your liking and outdoor clearcoat that has "spar". Ask your local hardware store.
4.) Took tip-ups to a local lazer engraver to etch fishermen names and license # on opposite side from flag
5.) Made a small rectangular stencil to prevent overspray and sprayed outdoor white paint into the engraved lettering
6.) wipe of excess wet spraypaint, wait for white film to dry, and sand off overspray globs and film.
7.) Re-apply thin layer of clearcoat over area where you sanded overspray
8.) Bought some window decals and made corresponding cutouts to account for tip-up shape.

Finished!!! After all that it came out pretty cool. All you need is a little time and a vision on your customized tip-up.

These are Christmas presents for my family of fishermen. Here's the pics of the process.

Before

Pretty dinged up and well used

Strip the finish off

Down to the raw wood

Restain

Finished product

The wood grain really came out nice

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Anybody ever remove the flag and spring assembly?  Wondering how it is held in.Would like to break mine down and run through planer and stain and spar varnish them. Dont want to ruin one taking spring/flag assembly off though.   Steve

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Just grab the spring and turn and pull at the same time and it will come off.  Not sure how the nub the flag is attached to the board comes off.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Oh look!  An ancient post coming to the forefront of our minds... history does repeat itself!

...anywho, I'm curious about that walleye decal.  Was that a vinyl decal?  or painted on via a stencil?  I'm about to strip all my Dam's and repaint/restain.  I like the look of the stain and that decal.  I'm going to copy your idea... as long as it's not copyrighted/trademarked and you won't sue me ;)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:09 PM »

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Pretty sweet 52!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Wholly freakin' zombie thread! This has gotta be some sort of record... Dormant over 8 years now rears it's head to command attention. Awesome!

Nice Kryptek paint on the BD 52. Custom or does BD offer them?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Oh look!  An ancient post coming to the forefront of our minds... history does repeat itself!

...anywho, I'm curious about that walleye decal.  Was that a vinyl decal?  or painted on via a stencil?  I'm about to strip all my Dam's and repaint/restain.  I like the look of the stain and that decal.  I'm going to copy your idea... as long as it's not copyrighted/trademarked and you won't sue me ;)

I think I purchased them from Amazon. It’s a vinyl decal and only was used for my personal tipups. No trademark infringement here.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:06 AM »
Looks good!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Beaver Dam made one last month when Packers won the super bowl. One is Green with Yellow flag and one is yellow with Green flag and u can get it custom engraved 31-25.

I bought one that is green with yellow flag for my limited edition collections.

I’m from Chicago. I hope you caught no fish.

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2020, 04:15 PM »
I have a cup hook just to right of flag in down stored position to keep flag tight when stored and to put it down when taking in a fish.  I also have led lights and a pizzo buzzer on them that activates when flag trips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.