Author Topic: Pike Fishing Toronto/Montreal Area  (Read 2379 times)

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Pike Fishing Toronto/Montreal Area
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Hello fellow fisherman,I was thinging of making a trip up to catch a trophy northern or 2 any info is appreciated.Its very tough to drive all that way to fish blind.Thanks Bob

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
Re: Pike Fishing Toronto/Montreal Area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Hey there Larry -- Toronto and Montreal are about 6 or 7 hours apart...do  you have a preference?  Seeing as I live closer to Toronto, I would say the closest chance you have at big pike would be on lake Simcoe at the end of the season...some large pike caught then.
Otherwise...you're going a few hours north of Toronto. 
Might be some better pike waters out Montreal way...not sure...do we even HAVE a Quebec forum here on IS?  I dunno....
The harder the better!

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Hey there Larry -- Toronto and Montreal are about 6 or 7 hours apart...do  you have a preference?  Seeing as I live closer to Toronto, I would say the closest chance you have at big pike would be on lake Simcoe at the end of the season...some large pike caught then.
Otherwise...you're going a few hours north of Toronto. 
Might be some better pike waters out Montreal way...not sure...do we even HAVE a Quebec forum here on IS?  I dunno....
Johnnyb it doest much matter I just want to cath a few monsters.Any and all info is appreciated.I was looking at lake simcoe,is there any lodging optios on the lake?

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Larry Ontario is a huge place with sooo much water. A vast majoriy of lakes have good pike numbers and large sizes. The further you go from the crowds the better your chances. If you want to fish 24-7 and sleep/fish in a big hut right on the ice i would advize looking at lake nippising, where you can rent on ice bungalows, i can't promise any monsters but my pb ice pike came from nippissing, 22lbs....your best bet is to go google crazy and find the right spot for you, if its a fishing only trip look up ice bungalows and see what you can find. If you don't mind distance i have heard that manitobas wilderness pike fishing kicks ontario's ass, i can't confirm that tho, i've never been..i've only been in canada for 3yrs. (if it is better than here, it must be pretty freakin good!)

Offline Mudpout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:28 PM »
 "just want to cath a few monsters"

because it's just that easy right?

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Hello fellow fisherman,I was thinging of making a trip up to catch a trophy northern or 2 any info is appreciated.Its very tough to drive all that way to fish blind.Thanks Bob

you tried up in maine at all?  Its a lot closer to home and I usually get several 20+ lb'rs every winter.  May not be as productive as canada but may save you some time/money.

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 04:07 PM »
If you're looking for big pike on Simcoe...probably best to wait until Spring.  If Quebec is closer to you...check with those guys...I don't think you have a shot at the real monster pike thorugh the ice until you head to northern ontario, which for you could end up making it a real long trek.  On the other hand, I've been seeing some pics of big pike come through the Bay of Quinte this year.  :-\
The harder the better!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:06 PM »
If it's an ice trip you're thinking I would go way farther north if you're looking for a "monster"... what do you consider a monster?  I'd hate for you to make the trip up here only to catch the same 4lb pike I catch regularly  ;)

I'd personally not recommend either city for monster pike although if it's softwater you'll be fishing I'd recommend Montreal for musky.  Some big fish coming out of the stretch of the St. Lawrence, great guides or gather intel online.  Conversely, Lake Ontario for salmonids. 

If you truly want monster pike, hit Kesagami.  Best shot at a 40" IMO.  Gonna cost you some $ though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.