Author Topic: Laker Report  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Laker Report
« on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:08 PM »
My buddy Terry ("TGF") from BC came up for a little ice fishing, NWT style.
While we didn't land any true giants we did have our chances.
This video chronicles the 8 day journey chasing lakers on the ice roads of the area.
Enjoy!!!  ;D

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3a2b5af89203c2b78c67

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker Report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2010, 06:46 AM »
Great Video!!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Seems like it was just yesterday.....oh wait, it was ;D
I see what you were busy doing as I was driving home. Great work.
Definately was a blast even though we didn't get into the 30-40lb monsters.
Thanks for showing me your hidden gems of the north Dave.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2010, 05:51 PM »
WTG!!! Thanks for sharing and nice fish!!! But your right kinda small. ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:08 PM »
awesome video,some pertty nice lakers,looks like it would be fun camping out on the ice like that

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Lookin' good Drifter. How far down into the East Arm did you guys go? I was always wondering how far I would have to skidoo in order to find some nice lakers like that. I spent most of my time on the smaller lakes this year.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Lookin' good Drifter. How far down into the East Arm did you guys go? I was always wondering how far I would have to skidoo in order to find some nice lakers like that. I spent most of my time on the smaller lakes this year.

You don't really need to go as far as we did, but I wanted to see some new territory.
We went to Narrow Island. You can find good fishing as close as Pauline Bay, but then we would have had day trippers from Yellowknife around.
I wanted a nice peaceful wild adventure, which we got. We saw a total of 6 snowmobiles while we were out there. 4 heading from up near the narrows back to Yellowknife (from about 4 kms away) and 2 heading to LutselKe' from about 6 kms away.   ;D
There is actually an ice road that you can drive to Campbell Bay before hitting a bad pressure ridge.

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Thanks Drifter. I know a few people that have driven that road but heard varying reports of the pressure ridges and fishing spots. I'm not sure if I will make it out there before it gets too slick. We were up on the Tibbitt road last weekend for a couple nights in the tent and found some fish on Ross. The road was still in great shape, but we came back before the +8 on Sunday.

I spent 5 days at the wall tent over New Years and didn't see a single soul. I may have heard a couple planes. Gotta love YK.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Thanks Drifter. I know a few people that have driven that road but heard varying reports of the pressure ridges and fishing spots. I'm not sure if I will make it out there before it gets too slick. We were up on the Tibbitt road last weekend for a couple nights in the tent and found some fish on Ross. The road was still in great shape, but we came back before the +8 on Sunday.

I spent 5 days at the wall tent over New Years and didn't see a single soul. I may have heard a couple planes. Gotta love YK.

We were up on the diamond road on Saturday. We fished Gordon, but the fishing was pretty slow.
My guess is with the warm temps that the portages will be getting pretty soft up there now.
How was the fishing on Ross?

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Ha. You must have passed us. Did you see a couple crazy people on bikes?

Fishing was great. I caught 8 in an afternoon without trying too hard. A few small ones and we couldn't bring more than a couple back on the bikes but we sure enjoyed the sunshine. We were also limited by only being able to walk to fishing spots. We did get a license check from ENR too although I was surprised how little traffic there was out that way.

After today I have no doubt the ice roads can now be called mud roads, and only down to -1 again tonight? That is three nights in a row around 0C. The weekend looks like it will freeze up the mud if you are adventurous but the entrance and exits will still likely be deep standing water. The Dettah road entrance can't take cars much longer from the looks of it. I know a guy headed out tomorrow to some lakes off Prelude. It will be interesting to hear his trail report.

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:21 PM »
This video chronicles the 8 day journey chasing lakers on the ice roads of the area.
Enjoy!!!  ;D

That is very cool! :tipup:

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Well put together video Drifter!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Ha. You must have passed us. Did you see a couple crazy people on bikes?

Fishing was great. I caught 8 in an afternoon without trying too hard. A few small ones and we couldn't bring more than a couple back on the bikes but we sure enjoyed the sunshine. We were also limited by only being able to walk to fishing spots. We did get a license check from ENR too although I was surprised how little traffic there was out that way.

After today I have no doubt the ice roads can now be called mud roads, and only down to -1 again tonight? That is three nights in a row around 0C. The weekend looks like it will freeze up the mud if you are adventurous but the entrance and exits will still likely be deep standing water. The Dettah road entrance can't take cars much longer from the looks of it. I know a guy headed out tomorrow to some lakes off Prelude. It will be interesting to hear his trail report.

HAHAHA, orange tent, right?? ?? ?  Yeah we passed you coming and going.
So did you bike all the way from YK?    :blink:  
I will be fishing at my friends cabin on Prelude for the rest of the season I think.
Should have 3 or 4 more weeks there.    ;)2

We got a visit from the enr crew too. It's good to see them out there.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline heid_man243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2010, 11:41 PM »
You got it. Orange tent. We drove out the IT to the start of the ice road and biked from there, about 20 kms. It is a nice change from the skidoo but more challenging to say the least. We had very slick conditions on the way out but the snow packed down from the heat and traffic so we rode home in half the time.

Good luck out around Prelude. I keep saying I need to get a skidoo trailer! We may do some hiking into lakes to finish off the ice season and definitely start polishing off the rod and reel dreaming of paddling season.

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Enjoy!!!  ;D

wow, awesome video! nothing like the call of the barren land.  :tipup:

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12 AM »
AWESOME VIDIEO,looks cold though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.