Author Topic: when do you switch???  (Read 1479 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
when do you switch???
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:40 AM »
So the lake I normally fish has a good walleye population, but also really nice perch and gills.  Frequently, they fish hang together, or, I will catch a good mixed bag in the same area.  However, as the afternoon turns to evening, I get that twinge, and know its time to put away the small stuff and get out the 'walleye getter'.  Not sure how I know when to make that switch, it isnt really an exact time, or when the sun goes down, etc....I just kind of think to myself....OK, lets go for the big guys.....When do you make that switch, if you do, or do you jig for eyes all day long.....

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: when do you switch???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I would make the switch about an hour before sunset if your going to fish the same area.. If you put out tipups I would have them in the water an hour before sunset. And then I back an start jigging.. That's kinda my rule of thumb.. If I am not going to be at my spot an hour before sunset I don't have time is the way I look at it. Of course there are a lot of variables.. Stained water being one of them.. But the hour before sunset is a good rule of thumb

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I would make the switch about an hour before sunset if your going to fish the same area.. If you put out tipups I would have them in the water an hour before sunset. And then I back an start jigging.. That's kinda my rule of thumb.. If I am not going to be at my spot an hour before sunset I don't have time is the way I look at it. Of course there are a lot of variables.. Stained water being one of them.. But the hour before sunset is a good rule of thumb

Well said

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:08 AM »
When you get that feeling you switch. I do kind of the opposite as everyone else. I pull all my lines in and use only one rod. My observations is guys mess some much with the tip up bite they could have jigged in 10 fish rather that mess with six. I say fish one right ranther that six lines wrong. I jump from hole to hole. If I don't mark anything in a couple minutes I move until I contact fish consistently.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:26 PM »
When you get that feeling you switch. I do kind of the opposite as everyone else. I pull all my lines in and use only one rod. My observations is guys mess some much with the tip up bite they could have jigged in 10 fish rather that mess with six. I say fish one right ranther that six lines wrong. I jump from hole to hole. If I don't mark anything in a couple minutes I move until I contact fish consistently.

I would agree to an extent.. Especially if your new to walleyes for the reasons he states. Also you can catch small pike on tipups that can really waste your time.. That being said there are ways you can do both.. A lot of it depends on the area your fishing as well.. For example one area I fish is a shoal where the water comes up from 100 feet pretty darn quick and at the top of the break is a 12 foot rock hump.. When safe ice permits I get there.. Which should be happening quick this year as the spot is well offshore, I usually jig on the break in about 30 fow then set one tipup at about 18 feet on the edge of the hump and another right on top of the hump in 12 feet.
Basically what I'm getting at is jigging seems to be more productive for me during the sundown bite in deeper water and tipups seem to be more productive in shallower areas after dark..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.