Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
where to start?
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:10 AM »
lake is about 12ft avg. deepest hole about 33ft and no weeds. for the life of me i have never got into the eyes on the ice there, gott'em when there is no ice. lots of spring feed the lake and i just have no clue where to gettem at. i have fished everywhere ive got into them be4 and after the ice season. any body got any reasons why i cant find'em? i have tried points, bluffs, flats, you name it i have prob. tried it anybody got any help for this lake? ???
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Where do they go and spawn?  Where would they stage to go and spawn?  Where is the struture in those areas?

These are the things I think.  Some may disagree which is fine. This is just how I start my search.

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:24 PM »
i dont think they spawn in this lake. they are stocked over the yrs. as fry. but if they where going to spawn i would say they would run up towards the small creek that feeds the lake
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:39 PM »
They spawn, the instinct is still there.  Fish just want to eat and breed that's it.  Fish stage outside spawning grounds if they have food and air.  Creek could bring both.  Go get em, good luck, be careful around flowing water.

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:41 PM »
The springs would be the area I would start if all else failed. If it is an upwelling or a small creek, the different water temp would attract fish. The way it sounds is the walleye in this lake are roamers. They do not tend to school until spawning time. There is a lake around here that is only 9' deep with roamers in it. The best bet is sitting tight and fish. Use lures with flash, bright colors, and most important sound. Try jigging a Rat-L-Trap or the like and when they come in to see what all the commotion is switch to your usual walleye lures. When jigging the R-L-T just pull it up(vary speed on lift to find what works) a foot or so and let drop, wait two or three seconds and do it again. Then don't do anything for 15-30 seconds. Also you can just do quick shakes for a couple seconds and pause. Depending on their mood they could show up immediately or in 15-20 minutes or even not at all. The ones that do show up tend to be the aggressive fish.
Do not be afraid to try new things.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Got have a starting point.  Funny that was the topic. Fish do cruz spawn staging area in winter if they have food and air.  Hard to tell if there roamers until you try the basics.  Winter Walleye 101

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.