Author Topic: Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter  (Read 19858 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter
« on: Feb 10, 2003, 07:48 AM »
Does anyone have one of these?  If so how well are they built?  Set-up time and are they easy to pull by hand across the ice? Thanks.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2003, 10:48 AM »
b

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2003, 11:49 AM »
Are you meaning the ones with flip-down ends and plastic cover in the middle?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2003, 01:11 PM »
Perchhunter,
The kids bought me the Cabelas Deluxe Ice fishing tent (shanty - they call it a tent) for Christmas.   The pro's:  It was fairly inexpensive, has plenty of room for two people, easy to assemble, and lightweight.  The cons:  Dragging it on and off the ice is a hassle.  They give you no way to hook up a rope.  I ended up screwing in two eyehooks on the front and attached a rope.  I am in the process of putting together a sled to make transporting it easier.  The nice thing is when the sled is complete, the shanty will lay on the sled and I can put my Jet Sled (with equipment) on top of it so, when fishing alone, I can cart everything out in one trip. Hope this helps!
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2003, 01:23 PM »
My buddy has one,I fish with him alot. PRO'S Light weight,Lots of room for 2 people.CON'S hard dragging with plywood bottom,Gear slides off.He's made many up grades it's nice now.
                      Polar :'(
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Could you put a set of wooden runners maybe made out of 2X4's?  I thought about this too, but thought you could attach a set of runners depending on how the unit folds together.  Thanks for your replies.

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2003, 02:45 PM »
find an old pair of cross country skis and put them on the 2x4s works good

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2003, 02:49 PM »
I thought about the cross country ski's (CC's) on mine, but a fellow veteran ice fisherman said I should shop around for downhill ski's as the CC's would be too flexible for towing.  (This advice came right after I convinced my wife to give me her old CC's!!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2003, 04:13 AM »
Try using a pair of old water ski's, they are a lot wider than cc's and float over deep snow alot easier.I've got a pair on my cargo sled and they work great. :o

kpage

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2003, 07:21 AM »
i've had one for about 12 years now....very durable...very roomie...i just built a rack on my sno-sled to set it on...built another rack that sets on the shelter to carry the gear in....hook it on the 4 wheeler and off we go...sets up and down in just a couple of minutes....for the size of it compared to the price of the shantieswith the bulit in floors of the same size...save hundreds of bucks...its time for me to get a new one and i'll buy the same one and use the floor from the old one....good luck and good fishing

Scott_Wright

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2003, 09:14 AM »
Hey!!! I just ordered one on Cabalas on line. They are on sale right now!! from $119.00 down to $79.00! Came to about $93.00 with shipping and handling!! I can't wait to get it and put it together!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2003, 10:48 AM »
Kpage,

Could you attach a set of 2x4 runners to the bottom of the floor?  I wasn't sure if you could by looking at the picture in Cabela's.  I wasn't sure which direction the tent folded up.  I just ordered one from Cabela's also at the sale price of 79.99.  I figured I can't go wrong at that price.  Thanks

Scott_Wright

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2003, 10:52 AM »
Perch Hunter, I'm planning on putting 2x4 runners on the bottom, but also putting matching 2x4s on the other side(top) so when it flips and becomes the floor it will all be even...

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Scott,

That's exactly what I had in mind with mine.  I'm assuming that the floor just flips over and becomes the bottom.  I may attach some steel conduit to the bottom of the runners to make the sled slide a little better.  I will try it without the conduit first to see how it works.  I would think that you would need some sort of runners to keep the floor off the ice.  I would imagine that the floor would freeze right the ice.    

Scott_Wright

« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2003, 11:36 AM »
Perch Hunter, My wife called me at work. I told her I had ordered the kit and that I was going to put runners on it. She went into a 'Goodwill' store. bought a pair of cross country skis for $2.99. said they have screw - off bindings... I can't wait to get home and check them out and make plans to attatch them to the runners... Might even invest in some wax!! ;D

kpage

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2003, 01:51 PM »
it flips open like a suit case...the skis are a good idea on both sides of the floor....nice thing about doing that is if its not real windy you can leave it set up with all your gear in it...and move move move....cut your holes and pull the shanty over them....the only thing i would do if i did that is i would put some kind of skirt around the bottom to keep the wind out...$79 is a good price...might as well order my replacement now....it cost me about fifty bucks to build the floor...but don't have to do that this time....the directions for the floor call for 2x2's....good luck and good fishing

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2003, 06:34 AM »
Kpage,

How many holes do you have in your floor and where do you have them located?  Did you use treated plywood or just CDX for the floor?  If I do put runners on the bottom and top the next issue would be how to anchor it during windy conditions, especially if you have clear ice with no snow on top.  Thanks.

ChrisL_from_Wis

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2003, 08:44 AM »
Is this the shack with only the "small"(6"X6") windows on each side?

We often fish with tip-ups and would find it hard to keep an eye on them.

Does anyone know of a good way to add windows to this type of shack?

kpage

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2003, 09:21 AM »
i have two 12" x 24" hinged openings side by side with about 24" between both...i used regular 3/4" plywood and after 12 years still as strong as the day i built it and i fish alot...i also use tip-ups but i set them so i can leave the door unzipped a few inches and see them all just fine both sides...as far as the windows...unless they're using a different type of plastic....they crack all to crap...i taped mine shut....i've fished in all kinds of weather and i weigh 165 lbs and have yet to be blown away in the shanty but i do have I bolts screwed into each outside corner and i have a strap that hooks to two of them then attaches to a 2ft piece of pipe that i drop in a hole just behind the shanty...holds it just fine....good luck and good fishing

Scott_Wright

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2003, 06:27 AM »
I just checked my tracking order. It was shipped yesterday, is in transit and is scheduled to be at my door by Tuesday!!! So that means by a week from next Thursday it should be here!! I have decided that I am gong to put 3 2x4 runners on the bottom and 3 corresponding 2x4 'joists' on the flip side to set the 3/4" plywood off the ice/snow and for easier pulling. If I do this I can get both 34"x60" sections of flooring from one 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I will cut out the first 34"x60" section, and from the remaining piece of plywood, join 34"x48" from the top to a 12"x34" piece from the side. laid across the 2x4's, this will make a second section, without the added expense of buying another sheet of plywood... I can't wait!!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2003, 08:38 AM »
I HAVE ONE, I USED DOWN HILL SKIS,ON TOP OF THE SKIS I PUT SOME 1X2PLANKS  WITH A BLOCK OF A 2X4 CUT ABOUT 3INS.X 3INS. ONE AT THE FRONT OF THE SKI AND ONE AT THE BACK, USED SCREWS TO HOLD THEM TOGETHER  COUNTER SUNK THE ONES ON THE DOWNSIDE OF THE SKI. GOT SOME WOOD CLAMPS, I USE THE CLAMPS TO CLAMP THE SHELTER TO THE SKIS. THEN YOU CAN TIE THE ROPE TO THE TWO BLOCKS THAT ARE IN THE FRONT OF THE SKIS. STILL A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO PULL. I JUST BUY A FISH TRAP SO NO MORE PUTTING THE RIG TOGETHER EVERY TIME ON AND OFF THE ICE. BUT THE SHELTER  WAS NICE ON THOSE COLD DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!    
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2003, 12:02 PM »
Here is our cabela's tent. You can also see the sled that we built for it.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:56 AM »
Scott,

I received mine on Friday night and assembled it on Saturday.  This thing is alot bigger than in the picture.  Ii ended up using 5/8 plywood for the floor to save some weight.  I was thinking about using the 2x4 runners, but this tent is pretty heavy without the runners already.  I was thinking about using 2x2 joices on both sides  every 16 inches just to keep the floor off the ice and then trying to attach a pair of water skis for runners that are detachable.  You will have to buy 3 2x2's to hold the tent down.  I had about $50.00 invested in wood, srews and hinges.  Let me know how you make out and what you decided to do.  I guess I didn't say that here in PA we are not allowed to have 4 wheelers on ice, so I will be pulling this baby by hand.  

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2003, 06:39 AM »
Here is a better picture of the bottom of our tent. We used 1/4 inch plywood for the base. We then took 1x2 around the base. Then you glue a 3/4 inch piece of insulation to the bottom. This makes it alot lighter. We also used a 1x4 around the tent, this makes a nice space for the tent and poles to sit in when you collapse the tent. I hope this helps anyone.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2003, 06:50 AM »
Frozen1,

Thanks for the great closeup pics.  Using the 1/4 plywood did you have to put any joices in the middle of the floor?  Looks like an old runner sled that's under the shanty.  Did you build that one or buy it?  Thanks for the help.  

Scott_Wright

« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:04 AM »
Frozen1 - Thanks for those pics!! They're Awesome. I live in the woods of Maine, so my kit will probably take a while longer to get here.. but when it does, I will post how we do - putting it together. Good Luck with yours, Perch Hunter!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:16 AM »
Perchhunter,
We did not have to use any joices in the middle. The insulation gives it plenty of support. Also, I had a friend weld the sled together for me. The picture gives you an idea on how we did our tent and if you any questions, let me know.
Good Luck,
frozen1

Scott_Wright

« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2003, 10:10 AM »
Got my tent in the mail, yesterday. Won't have a chance to work on it til Sunday afternoon... Boy are those directions confusing...  ??? (or is it just me?) Any help on translating those directions into something I can understand would be most appreciated!! Thanks, Scott.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2003, 06:05 AM »
Hey Scott,  I agree with your assessment of the directions!  :(  It turns out the middle piece of 1/2 inch plywood must be 4 inches wide not 1 and 1/2 as indicated in my diagram (and I would assume yours).  If you have any other questions feel free to email me.  I used the shanty last weekend and LOVE it (I know you will too!).

Scott_Wright

« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2003, 03:14 AM »
We Put it together last night. No holes in the floor. we want to use it as a place to get out of the wind and warm up a little. not to jig out of... we set it up on pressure treated 2x2s. these will work for the runners.. it really is big! Sets up easy with the two of us setting it up in well under 2 minutes. Nice rig for the money. Spent $57.00 in wood and hardware. can't wait to use it Saturday. The cool thing is, we have night time cusk fishing on some lakes in Maine. you set dead smelt on the bottom and check your lines once an hour. this shanty will hold 2 chairs and a small table for playing cribbage on, as well as a coleman lantern.. Really looking forward to that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.