Author Topic: Taxidermy recommendations  (Read 632 times)

Offline JTmyslichuk

• IceShanty Rookie
Taxidermy recommendations
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 12:41 AM »
Hey I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to a taxidermist near Winnipeg or Saskatoon ( have friends in both cities so the trip to either place would be ok) was hoping to get a skin mount done if I catch another nice northern here soon. Also would be open to any replicas (Canada wide) as it could be shipped and I woundnt have to physically go there. I caught a 47” a couple years ago and if I can’t beat that any time soon I may just get a replica made. Thanks!

Offline JTmyslichuk

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline JTmyslichuk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Taxidermy recommendations
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 12:49 AM »
Link should take you to a photo of the pike  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2023, 10:27 AM »
Link seems to be MIA. Bet it was a nice fish though...

Regarding fish mounts: My opinion is that replicas are superior in every way to skin mounts, even discounting the added "bonus" of returning your prize to the system to bolster that gene pool. Bear in mind that all fish mounts, skin or replica, are painted so getting great pictures is the single most important thing you can do toward getting a quality mount. Of course, if you choose to go the skin route, care and keeping of the carcass is also important. Glass replicas are far more durable, not prone to skin deterioration and, if done by someone that knows what they're doing, will be virtually indistinguishable from a skin mount. And in 20 years they'll look far better than a skin job.

Local guy here took up fish taxidermy after a very serious burn accident. His attention to detail was incredible and really made a difference in his approach, his painting was absolutely micro detailed. Won several state 1st in class and one of his walleyes that won hung in our shop for a while. Each scale was an individual work of art, painted one by one. Can't imagine the time that took. So when you shop for a fish taxidermist you're really shopping for an artist. Anyone can stretch a skin but the realistic look is the makeup job. When you evaluate their work pay special attention to the "art". Look at it close up if you can, it's like the woman at the other end of the bar looks pretty good until you go sit down next to her and you wish you'd stayed where you were.

Not cheap to have quality taxidermy done. if you want to really enjoy it and showing it off be very, very choosy about your artist.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:50 AM »
Advanced Taxidermy in Ontario is one of the best at reproductions in the business and they have the awards to prove it.

https://www.advancedtaxidermy.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.