Author Topic: Problem with my snowmobile  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Problem with my snowmobile
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:59 PM »
I have a problem with my sled. it is a 1997 Polaris XLT RMK 600 (has a 1998 XCR 600 motor in it as the original motor blew up) I was out riding the other day and out of no where it went from full speed to bogging down then killed and would not restart. I was looking it over today and noticed there was this big hole in the side of the water pump where there should be a plug but it is not there. also found a spot where it looks like it is leaking antifreeze from the one corner of the head but the gasket appears to still be there. the anti freeze keeps going down and I can't seem to find where it is going. was wondering if I should buy a full top end gasket kit and replace all the gaskets and then also do I need to replace the complete water pump or can I get just a new plug for it. if I can get a plug for it does that part of the pump get any oil in it for the gear that is visible in the picture.  here are the pictures. any suggestion as to what to do is greatly appreciated.

this is my water pump.

this is what it should look like with the plug in it.

this is where I think it is leaking at the bottom of the head.

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Problem with my snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Sounds like it got hot and seized. Does it pull over?
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:10 PM »
yea it is fine that way, didn't over heat. checked compression today and all three cylinders were at around 117PSI each.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 PM »
Probably wouldn't hurt to replace top end gaskets if you think they're leaking, the plug missing on the water pump may indicate a problem with the water pump, might not hurt to replace it either.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:29 PM »
where would I even look for a complete water pump. looked at a few websites and could only find limited parts for it. did happen to find gasket kits and carb rebuild kits on denniskirk.com website but no water pumps. going to stop in and talk to my local Polaris dealer and service department see where they recommend to look for it.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Dealer be best place to start, they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:51 PM »
that is the actual Polaris parts site. looked and it and it says to contact a dealer for some of the parts. that is why I plan to stop in and talk to the local dealer tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.