Author Topic: Wal - Mart Fishing COmbos  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Duves

• IceShanty Rookie
Wal - Mart Fishing COmbos
« on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Hi all,

Seeing there's not a reel ice fishing equipment store for about 75 miles from where i live, are any of the combo rods and reels from Wal-Mart half way decent and if so which ones?

Thanks,

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Re: Wal - Mart Fishing COmbos
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:37 AM »
My wife bought me an Everast combo(bday), not sure who makes it but it works pretty good. I tried it for some crappies over the side of the boat and it feels pretty smooth.

Robb

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:16 AM »
I was in Walmart the other day and they had some Berkley Lightning rod combos that seemed pretty nice. They had some HT combos and others also. They also had an ice reel with 4 ball bearings that seemed like a nice reel. I don't remember who makes the reel.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:28 AM »
The HT Ice Blue is an awesome panfish rod.  Really sensitive tip, and enough backbone to handle big pannies well.  The Berkely Lightning Rod is another good one, as ice dawg mentioned.  It depends on what you're fishing for.  Some of the rods just plain suck though! If it feels like a small pool cue in your hands, it probably isn't a very good rod.  ;)

-Zach

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Unless your as much an addict as most of us on this sight and have to have the newest and best out there . Really they have some decent rigs at wallyville. buy the nicer poles and match up with a little more reel, but any of the cheaper rigs work great. If you're on a budget less is more . IMHO when I first started I used my summer rods and gear :-[
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I picked up a quantum combo the other day, and its a nice outfit ($30).  You do have to search through the selection, but you should be able to find one or two that are pretty good.  I really like the rod and the reel on the quantum, it is super smooth, 4 ball bearings in it too, and the drag is unbelivably smooth too, nice for light line, I was really impressed by it.  I had an older lightining rod and reel combo, but lost it, I really liked it too.  But when I went to find another one, I didn't like the reels they have on them now, seemed kind of cheap, the rods are still good though.  When I first started too, I used nothing but a spool of line and my hands, as lots still do, now thats a cheap and effective combo if you're on a budget.  ;D  I am slightly more fussy now.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:58 PM »
My girlfriend got me a loighting rod for christmas. I'ts pretty sweet. 30-35 bucks at walmart. came with an abu garcia cardinal reel I think.

I also have a

24 inch icelander classic from HT, Noodle action. VERY lightwieght and I like it a lot. 10 for the rod and reel.

a 24 inch Everest from south bend ultra light ( a bit stronger then the noodle action.

and a 28 slick ice from ht which would easily compare to a "pool cue" but I like it because I can haul in a laker like it's a minnow. I usualy put my summer ultralight reels on my jigging rod, or buy a different reel cause what comes standard on the combo usualy has a bad drag or doesnt reel smoothly.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Wally World sells Jig A Whopper rigs, they are VERY nice.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:53 PM »
I would suggest the Berkely Lightning Rod. I have used it many times and like it. The ice rods are kinda sweet, and the summer rods get the job done well. I have used all styles and cost of rods and the berkely's give good rods for the money.

Robin

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:15 PM »
HT Ice Blues light action!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have this and it performs flawlessly for trout. I have caught trout up to 6lbs (My PB) using 4 lb test on this rod and it only takes a bit of finesse to get trout this size up the hole. Best rod I have bought to date by far!!
You've seen the pics but I love them so here they are again (I ought to get a sponsorship or something lol)

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:17 PM »
Oh and if I can catch that^^^ on the Ice Blues, you can sure do pannies!

-Thoreau

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I like the Shakespeare Microspin underspin spincast reel that they have for 9 bucks at the local here.

thanks for the pic icejunky :)

I've not seen the combo locally, but the reel is very nice.  Toss it on a HT pole and you have a good panfish rig.  I've mine on a UL panfish popper.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:40 PM »
For 9 bucks, I'd buy that too!

-Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com