Canada > Ice Fishing Saskatchewan

My 2017 / 2018 ice fishing reports

(1/3) > >>

Water Wolf:
Hi All,
Another ice fishing season is upon us, and I hope everyone is having a fun and safe season sofar. ;D

My ice fishing season started earlier than usual this year.
On Dec. 3rd I went to Fishing Lake  to see how things were there. 
There were a few shacks out, close to shore in one spot, and, 10 or so anglers fishing, but no one was driving on yet. :unsure:

I decided to try a different spot down the lake from the group.

I walked out, testing the ice and as I went, and, found 10" to 12"  of good clear ice with just a skiff of patchy snow. :)
I set up and fished from 2:00pm to 5:30pm.

It was a cloudy, dull, afternoon with just a light breeze from the NW.  The temp was decent at - 7 deg C / 19 deg F.

Not too long into the day, and, the first fish shows up on camera.  A pike sneaks in, hangs around for a few min., checks out my lure, but, no interest.
Once it leaves, I do a lure change, and, get results right away.  I see a dark shape coming tight to the bottom, and, as it got closer, I see it's a walleye. I slowly raise and shake the lure so it looks like an escaping fish.  The walleye then went straight up, hit the lure, and was hooked.  A short fight ensued with a few good runs and the fish is iced.
My first fish, and, my biggest walleye for the day. :)

No sooner did I take the fish off and get the lure back down, when I had another walleye come streaking in, stage left, and just smashed it, another fish on and iced. :woot:

This action was off and on all afternoon.

In the end I saw a dozen walleye on camera, with a few coming in pairs. The 2 fish that came in were the most aggressive and one would try and beat the other to the lure.
I even had a walleye pick the lure up off the bottom. @)

The 3 pike that came by were less aggressive.
My first pike stole the bait off my set rod without being hooked. The 2nd pike was hooked but, rolled off just under the ice. Finally, 3rd times the charm, as I get one more hit on the set rod and ice that pike.

My final results were 4 walleye and 1 pike. 

I released most of my fish during open water season, so, this time, I kept my limit of 2 walleye and the 1 pike.  The 2 other walleye went back.

I tried to take a photo of each fish, but, after my largest walleye, the camera ran out of juice.  Good thing I found that one first.

The walleye were all in good shape with thick bodies and fat bellies.  Must be eating well.
They measured 16.6", 17.6", 19.3".  The 1 pike was 23".

Here is a shot of the largest walleye of the afternoon at 21"  ;D

I think that night's super moon might have helped to get the walleye fired up a bit.

In the end I was pleased with how my ice fishing season started. :tipup:

WW

anglerbrian:
Hey Water Wolf good start to your season and nice of the fish to Co-operate.
   The title of this thread had me thinking you were ice fishing in May but I assume it was supposed to say My 2017 / 2018 ice fishing reports.
  Do you catch any Perch through the ice at Fishing Lake? I only fish there in the summer and it has been all walleye and Pike the last few years.
  Have a safe and productive ice fishing season.

ran7ger:
 nice report WW, good to see you back!

shawno:
Nice way to start off the season Rory. I look forward to seeing more photos as the season progresses!

shawno

canada:
great job
looks like a great supper

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version